Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,994 total)
  • Author

On behalf of AdmissionsConsultants, I will be available to answer questions and offer insight into the MBA admissions process.

Best of luck with your b-school applications,

David Petersam, University of Chicago MBA ‘96
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions Consultants

AdmissionsConsultants: Admissions committee experience from the top business schools

AdmissionsConsultants is a comprehensive admissions consultancy that has been helping its clients gain admission into their top-choice business schools for over 7 years. All of our consultants have reviewed applications, conducted admissions interviews, and made accept/reject/waitlist decisions for the top business schools. We have a thorough understanding of the admissions process and know exactly what you need to do to maximize your chances. We work one on one with our clients to provide them with the highest possible level of service. In addition to essay editing services, we also consult our clients on admissions assessments, business school selection, admissions strategies, essay topic selection, interview preparation, letters of reference, pre admissions action plans, and more.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com

jwitte
    Participant

David,

Thanks in advance for answering my question. It’s about HBS. Is it tru e all they care about is ledership?

quote:

Originally posted by jwitte

David,

Thanks in advance for answering my question. It’s about HBS. Is it tru e all they care about is ledership?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, HBS does care **a lot** about leadership and if you don’t demonstrate leadership, you are not getting admitted regardless of GMAT scores, GPA, etc.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s all they care about even if they give it a heavier weighting than the other top programs. For one thing, they obviously care about integrity. (The fact that 5 people got kicked out this past year due to ‘application discrepancies’ is testament to that.)

Other important factors are academic qualifications, i.e. you must demonstrate that you can handle their curriculum, so the GMAT and transcripts are also important.

Finally, having a good ‘story’ that includes airtight reasons for why you want an MBA, why you want to attend Harvard, etc is critical to gaining admission to HBS — or any other selective b-school for that matter.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

jwitte
    Participant

Thanks David!

How do you k9ow they kicked out 5 ppl last year? I didnt’ see that on their website.

quote:

Originally posted by jwitte

Thanks David!

How do you k9ow they kicked out 5 ppl last year? I didnt’ see that on their website.

Hi and thanks for your follow-up inquiry.

I’m not sure if it’s also on their website, but I looked at the transcript of an interview one of our consultants conducted with an HBS admissions officer.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

keenomacdaddy
    Participant

David,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questoins. Is there any way to get into a top 25 MBA program with a 600 GMAT and 2.7 GPA. I kow I can get good references, I interview well and my work exp is good.

Many thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by keenomacdaddy

David,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questoins. Is there any way to get into a top 25 MBA program with a 600 GMAT and 2.7 GPA. I kow I can get good references, I interview well and my work exp is good.

Many thanks!

Yes, it is possible to get into a top 25 school with your GPA and GMAT. It is the exception though rather than the rule and you will need to demonstrate great work experience with a rapid career progression. You will also need to mitigate any concerns about your ability to handle the coursework in b-school.

Letters of reference are helpful if handled properly. Otherwise, they won’t really help you or hurt you since the majority of the other applicants will have similarly favorable references written about them.

The good news for you is that the b-schools give about a 35% to 40% weighting to your academic qualifications, i.e. your GPA and GMAT.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

hbsalltheway
    Participant

David,

I appreciate your keen advice. How important is it to apply in R1, particularly for HBS. I may have to rush to meet that deadline. Should I wait until R2 and hope R2 is less competitive?

Thanks in advance!

quote:

Originally posted by hbsalltheway

David,

I appreciate your keen advice. How important is it to apply in R1, particularly for HBS. I may have to rush to meet that deadline. Should I wait until R2 and hope R2 is less competitive?

Thanks in advance!

As a general rule, it is always more advantageous to apply in the first round than the second. There are more openings for the incoming class and the admissions committees are trying to fill seats. At the most selective schools, round 2 is when the class becomes ‘rounded out’ and the admissions officers really focus in on getting the right representation from demographic groups such as NY I-bankers and Indian IT applicants.

There is no truth to the ‘urban legend’ that the second round is less competitive than the first round. The admissions officers know what percent of good applicants apply each round and they adjust their targeted number of admissions offers to reflect this.

Finally, a good applicant will make a convincing case for why he/she wants to attend XYZ b-school and why he/she has been proactive about wanting an MBA for a long time. Applying in round 1 will certainly help signal this point much more clearly than applying in a later round.

In conclusion, if you have a good application put together for a top school, it will behoove you to submit it earlier than later.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

njadmit
    Participant

Hi David,

I have a 760 on GMAT but a low score on AWA. How much of an impact would this low score (3.5) have on my application to tier 1 business schools.

Hi David,

I have a 760 on GMAT but a low score on AWA. How much of an impact would this low score (3.5) have on my application to tier 1 business schools.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the AWA score. Fortunately, the AWA does not carry nearly as much weight with the admissions committees as the verbal or quantitative scores. Furthermore, your verbal score has already helped mitigate the 3.5.

Well-written essays and good admissions interviews will help to further mitigate any concerns about your communication skills.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

In my undergraduate work at Loyola College in Maryland, I majored in Finance and minored in Math. I only had one Statistics Course, however, and it was an Independent Study. While it was a Calculus-based, upper level stats, will the fact that it was Independent Study discredit it in Admissions’ eyes?

I have plenty of other quantitative courses (multivariable calculus, you name it) but how important do you think it would be to take A non Independent Study Statistics course for looking more desirable in the eyes of the Admissions Officers? Or is this all very trivial?
    Also, I am looking into doing a Fulbright Scholarship for next year. How much of a boost would taking one or two Grad-Level Business Courses while doing research be for me as far as getting into the MBA Program? Should I try to take the Stats there, or would it be better just to stick with Economics Courses, that are more directly related to my Fulbright Project?

Do you think it might have given me a slight edge if I do have that strong Statistics background? I know Harvard says, “Due to the academic rigor of the MBA Program, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete introductory quantitative coursework such as accounting, finance, economics, and statistics prior to matriculation. Some candidates may have their admission to the MBA Program contingent on their taking such courses prior to their enrollment.” How would you interpret that? Are they just saying Statistics would help you in your First Year (and is not factored into the Admissions Process) or would having that Strong Statistics Background be a boost in the Admissions Process?

At the Graduate School I am in they grade based upon 80 and above being an A. However, they list your number Grade next to your letter. How would an admissions Officer look at a Graduate Level Grade from a foreign country that says 82 A? Would they look down upon it because of the 82? I had wanted to take two Graduate Level Business Courses for Credit to demonstrate added drive during my Fulbright and to show I can do Graduate LEvel Business Studies but do you think the risks (i.e. they do not really give out grades above a 90) outweigh the benifits?

In my undergraduate work at Loyola College in Maryland, I majored in Finance and minored in Math. I only had one Statistics Course, however, and it was an Independent Study. While it was a Calculus-based, upper level stats, will the fact that it was Independent Study discredit it in Admissions’ eyes?

No. The fact that it was an independent study should not discredit you, particularly if you do well on the GMAT. Additionally, Loyola has a good reputation.

I have plenty of other quantitative courses (multivariable calculus, you name it) but how important do you think it would be to take A non Independent Study Statistics course for looking more desirable in the eyes of the Admissions Officers? Or is this all very trivial?
    Also, I am looking into doing a Fulbright Scholarship for next year. How much of a boost would taking one or two Grad-Level Business Courses while doing research be for me as far as getting into the MBA Program? Should I try to take the Stats there, or would it be better just to stick with Economics Courses, that are more directly related to my Fulbright Project?

The admissions committees are not going to be too concerned about your quantitative skills given your minor in math. The Fulbright Scholarship is fine and an additional stats class certainly wouldn’t hurt. However, keep in mind that b-schools only give academic qualifications (GPA and GMAT) about a 35% to 40% weighting in their admission decision process. You will need to spin how your project ties to your post-MBA career goals in your application.

Do you think it might have given me a slight edge if I do have that strong Statistics background? I know Harvard says, “Due to the academic rigor of the MBA Program, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete introductory quantitative coursework such as accounting, finance, economics, and statistics prior to matriculation. Some candidates may have their admission to the MBA Program contingent on their taking such courses prior to their enrollment.” How would you interpret that? Are they just saying Statistics would help you in your First Year (and is not factored into the Admissions Process) or would having that Strong Statistics Background be a boost in the Admissions Process?

The truth is if you are a U.S. citizen and GMAT is north of 680, you will easily clear the academic qualifications hurdle at HBS.

At the Graduate School I am in they grade based upon 80 and above being an A. However, they list your number Grade next to your letter. How would an admissions Officer look at a Graduate Level Grade from a foreign country that says 82 A? Would they look down upon it because of the 82? I had wanted to take two Graduate Level Business Courses for Credit to demonstrate added drive during my Fulbright and to show I can do Graduate LEvel Business Studies but do you think the risks (i.e. they do not really give out grades above a 90) outweigh the benifits?

No, I’m not worried about this. The admissions committees understand how the grading scales work in different countries. I would advise you to take the stats course and one or two business courses for exactly the reason you gave — to demonstrate an interest in graduate business studies. More importantly though, become an active leader on the campus and start taking proactive steps towards attainment of your post-MBA career goals.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful response.

Would it be just as good to take two Economics courses that are more related to my Fulbright Project or would it be better, as far as Admissions is concerned, if I took that dreaded Statistics and one Economics?

Hi and thanks for your follow-up inquiry.

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful response.

No problem! [:)]

Would it be just as good to take two Economics courses that are more related to my Fulbright Project or would it be better, as far as Admissions is concerned, if I took that dreaded Statistics and one Economics?

Good question. I don’t have quite enough information to give you a competent answer. Chances are your academic qualifications will not be challenged given your Fulbright scholarship and your math minor. In this scenario, the Stats class would be unnecessary and the most important thing (note: I’m wearing my MBA admissions hat) becomes that you position yourself for those future b-school applications. This includes formulating sound reasons why you want an MBA and putting together an action plan to proactively position you for your post-MBA goals.

As an example: If you spin a story that you want to market economics research via subscription-based Internet access to small mom and pop businesses, then you probably want to take the two Economics classes so you can learn more about your post-MBA craft. (You would also want to spend some time researching this market as well.)

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly via email or telephone if you would like to schedule a 1 hour pre admissions consultation with one of our consultants to discuss these matters in more detail.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,994 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.