Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 2,956 through 2,970 (of 2,994 total)
  • Author

I have a 3.8, a 730 and a good job at a F500. How much work experience will I need to be competitive at Harvard or Stanford?

Hi Rogelio and thanks for your inquiry.

Good question. First of all, it appears you will likely be competitive at a top 10 MBA program with well-prepared applications. With regards to Harvard and Stanford, it’s going to be more about the quality than quantity of your work experience and extracurriculars. If we have something that we can spin into a powerful ‘wow’ factor or if you have some angle that makes you rather unique and desirable to the top b-schools, then you should be competitive at both of these schools.

I realize this probably appears to be as clear as mud, so I encourage you to call us. We can arrange for a complimentary assessment that will be more in depth and accurate than what we can do through this forum. It also includes a chance to use our proprietary school selection model to see which top b-schools might be your personal best fit.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

LIMITED TIME SPECIAL! Order our new business school guide from Amazon.com and deduct $25 from any of our services!

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

jreyes
    Participant

Thank you very much for providing this thread. It is an excellent resource for prospective MBA applicants, imo.
    How bad, in your expert opinion, is a 2.82 overall GPA from a undergraduate school usually ranked usually around 30? How much, if at all, would a consistent (though not off the charts) upward GPA trend, and a 3.35 Major GPA (English), mitigate that overall 2.82?
    I expect a 650 on the GMAT
    Would I have any chance at top 20, 30, or 50 MBA programs?
    Thank you in advance very much for your help!

Thank you very much for providing this thread. It is an excellent resource for prospective MBA applicants, imo.
    How bad, in your expert opinion, is a 2.82 overall GPA from a undergraduate school usually ranked usually around 30? How much, if at all, would a consistent (though not off the charts) upward GPA trend, and a 3.35 Major GPA (English), mitigate that overall 2.82?
    I expect a 650 on the GMAT
    Would I have any chance at top 20, 30, or 50 MBA programs?
    Thank you in advance very much for your help!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Based strictly on the academic qualifications hurdle, your GMAT and GPA are a bit low for top 30 programs. Unless there is some amazing ‘wow’ factor to highlight in your applications, you should probably plan on targeting the top 50 b-schools if you have decent career progression and extracurricular activities.

Please don’t hesitate to call our office to schedule a complimentary assessment of your candidacy.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

LIMITED TIME SPECIAL! Order our new business school guide from Amazon.com and deduct $25 from any of our services!

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Kent Cantwell
    Participant

I want to take the GMAT now and get it done with but not apply for a few years. Will that be held against me?

I want to take the GMAT now and get it done with but not apply for a few years. Will that be held against me?

Hi Kent and thanks for your inquiry.

As long as you apply within the next five years, you will be fine. Once you get the GMAT score you need, you can shift your focus to career progression, extracurriculars, etc.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Sanam Singh
    Participant

Hi David. What do you think of the P&Q article about MBA debt?

Hi David. What do you think of the P&Q article about MBA debt?

Hi Sanam and thanks for your inquiry.

It’s another quality article from Poets & Quants and they make a good point. The universities have viewed their MBA programs as cash cows for a long time. With the decline in law school interest, perhaps the b-schools are feeling a heavier burden to help support some of the university’s financial goals.

Regarding the student debt levels, they are still achieving positive ROIs after graduation. I don’t want to tell others how to live, but applicants may want to consider cutting back on their standards of living while in b-school if doing so may allow them additional career choice options at graduation where the starting pay may not be as great. (I’m specifically thinking start ups here, but there are other options that they may find intriguing as well.)

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Alex Hancott
    Participant

Hi David,

I’ve got quite the conundrum.

I’m looking at two job offers. One is a large bank where I will be processing loans in the automobile department. The other is a much smaller bank that doesn’t have nearly the same name recognition but will allow me to do a much more broad array of tasks. How much will it hurt my MBA admnissions chances to take the job at the smaller bank?

Thanks!

Alex

Hi David,

I’ve got quite the conundrum.

I’m looking at two job offers. One is a large bank where I will be processing loans in the automobile department. The other is a much smaller bank that doesn’t have nearly the same name recognition but will allow me to do a much more broad array of tasks. How much will it hurt my MBA admnissions chances to take the job at the smaller bank?

Thanks!

Alex

Hi Alex and thanks for your inquiry.

This is a good question and I think you’re going to like my answer! Going to the smaller bank seems like your best option when I’m “wearing my admissions hat.” You’re more likely to be successful when you’re the most comfortable and happiest and the experience should help you successfully distinguish yourself from other commercial banking applicants.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Bethany Torres
    Participant

Hi David,

I appreciate you taking your time to answer these questions. I have a top choice business school and want to know if I should let them know that if accepted, I’ll definitely attend. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks!

Bethany

Hi David,

I appreciate you taking your time to answer these questions. I have a top choice business school and want to know if I should let them know that if accepted, I’ll definitely attend. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks!

Bethany

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for your inquiry.

If you have a very credible reason for why it is your top-choice school and you would definitely accept their offer, go ahead and do so. If it’s legitimate and credible, it will be viewed sincerely and wouldn’t hurt your chances.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

nalleh
    Participant

Hi David,

Your blog on nonprofits lead me to here.

My employer is willing to sponsor me for an MBA. I’m looking around at different options and most of the programs I’ve seen seem similar except for cost and ranking. What exactly do I stand to gain from attending a more expensive and higher ranked MBA program and what are the tradeoffs if any?

Hi David,

Your blog on nonprofits lead me to here.

My employer is willing to sponsor me for an MBA. I’m looking around at different options and most of the programs I’ve seen seem similar except for cost and ranking. What exactly do I stand to gain from attending a more expensive and higher ranked MBA program and what are the tradeoffs if any?

Hi Nalleh and thanks for your inquiry.

The higher-ranked MBA programs do indeed tend to have costlier price tags. Whether or not it’s worth the extra money depends largely on your individual goals and needs. If you plan to return to your current employer and don’t feel you will benefit from the network of a top business school, then a less costly and perhaps more local program may be in your best interest.

If you are considering a career change and attempting a career change into a particularly difficult to enter field, then you should strongly consider the potential return on the more expensive and higher ranked MBA program.

Please don’t hesitate to call us at 1.800.809.0800 if you want to discuss any of this in more detail. We’re available to talk and happy to help!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

timbo314
    Participant

Hi David,

I’m probably going to take an audit job with a Big 4 (most prestigious to come to my low ranked public college) when I graduate college but I’m lookiing ahead at a top MBA. Is it hard to distinguish an application when you do audit? The progression rate is set in stone so will it be hard to show senior management potential?

Thanks in adavnce!

Hi David,

I’m probably going to take an audit job with a Big 4 (most prestigious to come to my low ranked public college) when I graduate college but I’m lookiing ahead at a top MBA. Is it hard to distinguish an application when you do audit? The progression rate is set in stone so will it be hard to show senior management potential?

Thanks in adavnce!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

The short answer is, yes, you can gain admission to a top business school with Big 4 audit experience. It’s a pretty competitive applicant pool as I’m sure you can imagine as most of the applicants have high undergraduate GPAs and tend to test well on the GMAT. If you opt for an audit position with the Big 4, be sure you take early and frequent steps to help distinguish your future b-school candidacy.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 15 posts - 2,956 through 2,970 (of 2,994 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.