Home Forums Medical School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,420 total)
  • Author

On behalf of AdmissionsConsultants, we will be available to answer questions and offer insight into the medical school admissions process.

Best of luck with your med school applications,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions Consultants

AdmissionsConsultants is a comprehensive admissions consultancy that has been helping its clients gain admission into their top-choice schools for over 7 years. All of our medical school admissions consultants are MDs with medical school admission experience. We have a thorough understanding of the admissions process and know exactly what you need to do to maximize your chances. We work one on one with our clients to provide them with the highest possible level of service. In addition to essay editing services, we also consult our clients on admissions assessments, school selection, admissions strategies, essay topic selection, interview preparation, letters of reference, pre admissions action plans, and more.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com

nimshf
    Participant

Hello
    I have some questions about medical school. As i’m foriegn student I want to know what should I do to get in the medical school? I have graduted from Biochemistry since 1997 from the University in Saudi Arabia. Is any thing to do with my cirtificate to meet the requirments in America medical school? I knew that I have to take MCAT test before applying, but do I still have to get in premedical school before taking the test?.
    Thank you
    Najlaa

rworkman
    Participant

Najlaa,
    Admission to a US medical school is very, very competitive for US citizens. As a foreign student seeking admission, it is even more competitive. Rarely, however, some schools do offer admission to those from other countries. You are correct that the MCAT must be taken. In addition, you must demonstrate excellent communication skills – in English. Quite a few schools require that the required premedical undergraduate course work be completed at a US college or university (Yale University School of Medicine comes to mind as one such school); however, there is variability among the medical schools regarding this. My recommendation to you is to call the admissions offices of a few of the schools you are interested in and feel them out about the subject. Also, the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) book is published yearly by the AAMC and it can offer specifics for each school.

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

thymol_blue
    Participant

Actually Najlaa, you have a new option in the Middle East that is better than trying to come to the US for med school.

Cornell just opened a branch of their medical school in Qatar — the first time ever a US school has done this. The school is wholly owned and operated by Cornell and is LCME accredited. That means that you will get a fully accredited American MD degree that will have “Cornell” on the diploma and is the same as going to Cornell in NY. The school is intended for residents of the region to get a high quality medical education. Check it out: http://www.med.cornell.edu/qatar

Preeti nayyar
    Participant

Hi
    I am an Masters in Microbiology from India and working For last two years in US at a reputed university In Molecular/Microbilogy field.

I want to seek Admission to a Medical school and need giudance Where can I find a list of MED schools which have a higher % of forgien students?

rworkman
    Participant

As a rule, graduates of foreign colleges can apply to medical schools in the US as long as their prerequisites are taken at a US or Canadian college or university. That is an important issue and may influence your next step. Although I am not aware of a list of schools which is ranked by % of foreign graduates, there is no harm done in calling schools that you are interested in and asking them that question directly. If you haven’t already, I would recommend purchasing the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) which is published by the AAMC to give you a starting point when it comes to statistics on acceptance rates, etc.

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Preeti nayyar
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by rworkman

As a rule, graduates of foreign colleges can apply to medical schools in the US as long as their prerequisites are taken at a US or Canadian college or university. That is an important issue and may influence your next step. Although I am not aware of a list of schools which is ranked by % of foreign graduates, there is no harm done in calling schools that you are interested in and asking them that question directly. If you haven’t already, I would recommend purchasing the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) which is published by the AAMC to give you a starting point when it comes to statistics on acceptance rates, etc.

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Preeti nayyar
    Participant

Thanks alot for quick response I am also concerned that I may be an older student I am 26 …….Is there any age discrimination?

Also How/where will I get an Evaluation of My education in order to apply for Prereqs for MED school I got my Education Evaluated from WES (World Education Services San-francisco) According to them My masters degree is eqivalent toa masters here with a GPA of 3.8.

rworkman
    Participant

You don’t have to worry about being 26. That is fine.

As for your second issue, I’m not sure what you mean by “an evaluation” of your education. You will need to ask the medical schools you are interested in attending about their specific requirements when it comes to medical school prerequisite coursework. Many require that work to be done at a US/Canadian college or university, as I said previously. When it comes to actually enrolling in a US/Canadian college or university in order to take those classes, they will undoubtedly require a record of your prior education from India. I am not personally familiar with World Education Services.

Best regards,

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Preeti nayyar
    Participant

I wanted to make clear that I have a green card. SO will I be considered international student? Is the process of getting into MED school Same as Dental school?

thymol_blue
    Participant

A green card makes all the difference in the world. At this point you are not an international student; when you apply, you are in the same category as US citizens. This is very important not only for admissions, but also for financial aid. Non citizens/green card holders are not eligible for most financial aid (since it is mostly loans) and have to pay for med school ($150-$200,000) out of their own pockets.
    However, your problem is still likely to be that medical and dental schools will not accept your Masters from India. You will likely have to retake the basic Biology, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Physics classes that are required at an American university. I’m sure with your background you won’t have any trouble in those classes, but it does add to the time and expense required to complete the process.
    Dental school requirements are very similar to medical school in that there is a standardized test and many of the same basic science classes are required to apply.
    If you are interested in becoming a dentist as opposed to an MD, fincially speaking it may be a better option. Either way, if you go to medical school or dental school, you will have to go into debt to do so. Both types of schools force you to take out student loans to pay for school. However, a dentist starts earning full salary after four years of school and can start repaying those loans. After four years of med school you would still have to complete residency. Residency wages are very low: $35-$40,000 year. Since you can’t really make a dent in your student loans on those wages, your debt grows through the accumulation of interest since residency and sub-specialization can take you many, many years to complete. Assuming you do one of the shortest residencies, family practice or general internal medicine (both 3 years) and join or establish a practice after that, your starting income is not going to be much higher than the dentist’s starting salary. Further, the dentist has had three years to establish and grow his or her business and may well be making more money than you at that point. The more lucrative medical specialties require more extensive residencies. Also a dentist’s working hours are a lot less than an MD’s. Dentists never have to take call and go into the hospital at odd hours. Anyway, it is something to think about. Good luck!

brandonw_395
    Participant

AdmissionsConsultants,

I really like the website and your advice. I am 30 years old. Am I too old to try and realize my dreams of becoming an MD? What kind of help do you provide and what are your charges?

rworkman
    Participant

Thank you for your compliments. In response to your inquiry, being 30 is not a strike against you. By itself it is neutral. What matters is what you’ve done with your time since college, etc., and those are all things that the AMCAS, secondary applications, and interviews aim to bring out.

As for the help we provide and the rates, AdmissionsConsultants.com is a comprehensive admissions consultancy, and we offer fixed-fee and hourly payment options. Check out http://www.admissionsconsultants.com for more information or call us at 703.242.5885.

Best regards,

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

brandonw_395
    Participant

Dr. Workman,

Thanks for the very fast response. I will call tomorrow.

Brandon

Preeti nayyar
    Participant

Thanks for encouraging response
    Yes I do wish to Persue a carrier in Dentistry ….

SO here is all the Information I collected PLz correct me and add where ever requried:

1 First step is to contact the schools I am interested in .
    2 Second to start working on competing the premed reqirists ……
    And sisde by side prepare for DAT.
    3.Take DAT, Fill AADSAS form……..
    4.NOW Will the school want me to submit recomendations etc Only IF it is considering My application which it will receive from AADSAS.
    5. OR how Do I know and When DO I submit my application to the school ?
    6. Is there an Interview process and Is it critical even after one is screened ……..can they be chicked out on the basis of interview only
    ALos If you could PLZ let me know How long are the DAT scores valid Is the test prep simmilar to MACT???

Are there any Schools for DDS in California apart from
    UCSF
    UCLA
    USC and UOP( what is your opinion about UOP???)
    Do you Think they are I am being too ambitious to look at these peticular schools only.
    PLz Advise

Thanks again for all your help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.