Home Forums Law School Admission 176, 2.8 – in at top 14s – true or myth?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    really confused
    Participant

this question is specifically for renee post (if possible):
    my friend told me that two years ago, a friend of ours was able to get into a few top 14 (but not HYS) law schools with a 176 and a 2.8 (b.s. from U of MI – ann arbor). other than two years of work experience as a paralegal in nyc, he apparently did not have anything really special/unique in his applications and did not have any special connections. i would like to know if this is really possible – if anyone else has heard of this happening. if so, how is this fair to candidates who have really worked hard to get good grades? also, i’ve heard that initial law school admissions cuts are based on two numbers – lsat score and gpa. shouldn’t this person have been eliminated from the applicant pool right away because of the 2.8 gpa? could it have been the 176 caused some of the schools to actually look over the application carefully? i’m afraid to ask this person how he did it – i don’t want to seem jealous or like i care – but i do. any serious discussion would be greatly welcomed…especially from renee and/or any other former admissions officers.

thanks,

really confused

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your message. Your confusion is understandable. First things first, in my experience “initial cuts” are not made based on one or two factors.

That said, remember it is the entire application package that is reviewed not simply a couple of pieces. In your email below there is no mention of a personal statement or the letters of recommendation. Furthermore, there could have been extenuating circumstances surrounding the GPA. My point, there is not enough information to get discouraged or frustrated about applying to law school based on this individual case.

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

really confused
    Participant

renee – thank you for replying.

just some background info on myself: i’m actually a 1L in a top five law school. i’m just trying to figure out how my friend was able to get into a top 14 school but more importantly – whether this sort of thing can happen. i worked really hard to get the grades i did and it bothers me somewhat that my friend was able to wipe out four years of partying with a four hour test. from your email it does sound as if this sort of thing does happen. one question that you might be able to address is whether or not all applications received are reviewed by a member of the admissions committee. is this the case or are some applications (where the lsat score and gpa are no where near the school’s means) automatically thrown into a “no chance” pile and never looked at? discussion from former admissions officers appreciated……

thanks,
    really confused

quote:

Originally posted by rpost

Thank you for your message. Your confusion is understandable. First things first, in my experience “initial cuts” are not made based on one or two factors.

That said, remember it is the entire application package that is reviewed not simply a couple of pieces. In your email below there is no mention of a personal statement or the letters of recommendation. Furthermore, there could have been extenuating circumstances surrounding the GPA. My point, there is not enough information to get discouraged or frustrated about applying to law school based on this individual case.

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.