Home Forums MBA Admission 91% of Harvard Students Graduate with Honors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

http://www.boston.com/globe/metro/packages/harvard_honors/

This Boston Globe article from 2 years ago has some insightful information on grade inflation at Harvard. In June 2001, a record 91 percent of Harvard students graduated with some type of honors (summa, magna, or cum laude), which was far more than Yale (51 percent), Princeton (44 percent), and other elite universities the Globe study examined.

Yes, the admissions officers are already aware of this issue and do factor it into their accept/reject/waitlist decisions.

AdmissionsConsultants

2004Ahoy
    Participant

Hello David,

First of all, having seen your replies across various forums let me convey my appreciation for the honest, to-the-point opinions that you offer to prospective students. I plan to give a real good shot at achieving a position in HBS and Wharton. I would like to know your take on my chances based on my profile.

Coming to me, I am 26 years old woman from India. I had an excellent academic background throughout school and passed out as school topper. I was also elected in leadership positions at schools, first the assistant head girl and subsequently, the school head girl. Having a keen interest in fine arts, I won various inter-school art competitions. On the side, I also earned myself a diploma in Art. Throughout school, I took part in sundry extra-curricular activities – singing, essay writing, handwriting competitions, basketball, long distance running etc. In hindsight, it doesn’t sound too focused but at the time, I was too busy enjoying each activity to really care about being focused.

In 1995, I enrolled in the Master of Management Studies program ( 4 year integrated baccalaureate degree in Management) at BITS, Pilani in India. It has in its foundation years, mathematics, science, engineering science and several analysis and application oriented courses, followed by management courses in the next 2 years. I graduated top of the class with a CGPA (on a scale of 10) of 8.75 and major GPA of 10. While at college, I also managed a 6 month internship at American Express-TRS at New Delhi. Throughout college years, I was part of the organizing committees for various college and inter-college festivals. I was also actively involved in the students’ Art group.

I have a passion for travel especially trekking. Over the years, I have been hiking and trekking in the Himalayas and other Indian locations up to altitudes of 13000 feet. While on work assignments in Europe, I squeezed in a backpacking trip through Belgium and Holland and hiking in the Tatra Mountains in Poland.

I speak English fluently (TOEFL score: 300) and also, some Spanish (completed Level Basico, Course topper). I plan to pursue a more advanced course in Spanish this year end.

Coming to my career, I have 4.5 years of experience in total in the BFSI (Banking and Financial Services) sector. In the on-campus recruitment drive of COSL at our college campus in 1999, I was one of their first recruits. COSL (Citicorp Overseas Software Limited) is a 100% subsidiary of Citigroup, specializing in developing and supporting in-house banking software solutions for Citigroup. In 2002, COSL merged with Polaris Software Labs (world’s first SEI CMMi Level 5 Company, listed among “Forbes 200 – Best under a Billion” in the World, leader in the BFSI sector). I started out as a Associate Consultant and over the period of 4 years, have been promoted from Team Member to Team Lead to Project Leader. In 2000 and 2001, I did stints in Poland and London for implementation of Citibank projects. After taking over an existing Data warehousing project from Citibank, I set it up from scratch in the company and it is being run successfully by my team for the past 2 years. I have been awarded ESOPs by my company in recognition. Currently, I am handling the application development and support of a core banking system being used 24×7 across 36 countries in the CEEMA region.

I hold a GMAT score of 740 with an AWA of 5.5. Receiving good recommendations from my clients and supervisor should not be a problem. However, I am unsure as to what non-work related recommendation I can avail. Due an accidental fall while trekking last year, I was seriously injured with multiple injuries, broken upper jaw and wrist. As a result, I was unable to work for nearly 3 months since I had trouble speaking and my right hand was out of action. During this period, while still on physiotherapy and my right hand in a plaster cast, I joined up a Spanish language course, learnt how to write with my left hand, and despite everything, emerged class topper with the highest ever score for the course. I was contemplating whether it is of any consequence to take a recommendation from my Spanish instructor. Can you advise me on this?

I know I really need to thank you for your patience in reading my rather long mail. :)

Since I come from the Indian-techie profile, I know I am in for competition galore! So, would appreciate pointers as to how I could best project my achievements and distinguish them from the usual crowd.

Thanks so much!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry. For future reference, please post your admissions related inquiries to AdmissionsConsultants on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread. This will make it easier for me as well as the readers.

Hello David,

First of all, having seen your replies across various forums let me convey my appreciation for the honest, to-the-point opinions that you offer to prospective students. I plan to give a real good shot at achieving a position in HBS and Wharton. I would like to know your take on my chances based on my profile.

Sure. Go right ahead.

Coming to me, I am 26 years old woman from India. I had an excellent academic background throughout school and passed out as school topper. I was also elected in leadership positions at schools, first the assistant head girl and subsequently, the school head girl. Having a keen interest in fine arts, I won various inter-school art competitions. On the side, I also earned myself a diploma in Art. Throughout school, I took part in sundry extra-curricular activities – singing, essay writing, handwriting competitions, basketball, long distance running etc. In hindsight, it doesn’t sound too focused but at the time, I was too busy enjoying each activity to really care about being focused.

In 1995, I enrolled in the Master of Management Studies program ( 4 year integrated baccalaureate degree in Management) at BITS, Pilani in India. It has in its foundation years, mathematics, science, engineering science and several analysis and application oriented courses, followed by management courses in the next 2 years. I graduated top of the class with a CGPA (on a scale of 10) of 8.75 and major GPA of 10. While at college, I also managed a 6 month internship at American Express-TRS at New Delhi. Throughout college years, I was part of the organizing committees for various college and inter-college festivals. I was also actively involved in the students’ Art group.

I have a passion for travel especially trekking. Over the years, I have been hiking and trekking in the Himalayas and other Indian locations up to altitudes of 13000 feet. While on work assignments in Europe, I squeezed in a backpacking trip through Belgium and Holland and hiking in the Tatra Mountains in Poland.

I like your extracurriculars and other outside interests. There are a lot of opportunities to present you as an interesting and well-rounded applicant. There are probably also some good ‘wow’ factors in here as well.

I speak English fluently (TOEFL score: 300) and also, some Spanish (completed Level Basico, Course topper). I plan to pursue a more advanced course in Spanish this year end.

Coming to my career, I have 4.5 years of experience in total in the BFSI (Banking and Financial Services) sector. In the on-campus recruitment drive of COSL at our college campus in 1999, I was one of their first recruits. COSL (Citicorp Overseas Software Limited) is a 100% subsidiary of Citigroup, specializing in developing and supporting in-house banking software solutions for Citigroup. In 2002, COSL merged with Polaris Software Labs (world’s first SEI CMMi Level 5 Company, listed among “Forbes 200 – Best under a Billion” in the World, leader in the BFSI sector). I started out as a Associate Consultant and over the period of 4 years, have been promoted from Team Member to Team Lead to Project Leader. In 2000 and 2001, I did stints in Poland and London for implementation of Citibank projects. After taking over an existing Data warehousing project from Citibank, I set it up from scratch in the company and it is being run successfully by my team for the past 2 years. I have been awarded ESOPs by my company in recognition. Currently, I am handling the application development and support of a core banking system being used 24×7 across 36 countries in the CEEMA region.

I definitely like this career progression. Remember though that there will be a lot of Indian IT applicants again this year, which will make it even more important to differentiate your candidacy.

Also, keep your story focused on you and not on the size or prestige of your employer.

I hold a GMAT score of 740 with an AWA of 5.5. Receiving good recommendations from my clients and supervisor should not be a problem. However, I am unsure as to what non-work related recommendation I can avail. Due an accidental fall while trekking last year, I was seriously injured with multiple injuries, broken upper jaw and wrist. As a result, I was unable to work for nearly 3 months since I had trouble speaking and my right hand was out of action. During this period, while still on physiotherapy and my right hand in a plaster cast, I joined up a Spanish language course, learnt how to write with my left hand, and despite everything, emerged class topper with the highest ever score for the course. I was contemplating whether it is of any consequence to take a recommendation from my Spanish instructor. Can you advise me on this?

It sounds like you have many choices for recommendations. Choose the recommenders who know you best and can also best substantiate your story. Chances are you have better choices than the Spanish instructor. Particularly since this class does not likely tie into your future career goals or demonstrate such important traits as commitment to community, etc.

I know I really need to thank you for your patience in reading my rather long mail. :)

No problem! :-)

Since I come from the Indian-techie profile, I know I am in for competition galore! So, would appreciate pointers as to how I could best project my achievements and distinguish them from the usual crowd.

With well-prepared applications (reasons for wanting an MBA, reasons for attending XYZ b-school, etc.) you should be competitive at the top 10 schools.

Thanks so much!

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

2004Ahoy
    Participant

I am really encouraged by your favorable views for my planned endeavour. I will keep your pointers in mind while drafting my essays.

Many Thanks, David !

nycdesi
    Participant

Dear David,

I do not understand your comment. Are you saying employer brand name is not impotrant to admissions offices?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Dear David,

I do not understand your comment. Are you saying employer brand name is not impotrant to admissions offices?

Unfortunately, this seems to be one of the most pervasive myths about MBA admissions and it just refuses to die.

The admissions officers care far more about the ‘quality’ of your work experience, i.e. your career progression, responsibility level, leadership and teamwork experiences, etc.

Yes, it is true that a very large share of admissions officers are made to applicants from these brand name companies. There are two reasons for this:
    1. These companies tend to recruit the best students out of college
    2. Many applicants from smaller companies try unsuccessfully to use the same admissions strategies their colleagues at the brand name/blue chip companies.

We have helped numerous business school applicants over the years from non brand name company backgrounds. If anything, these applicants are even easier to help as they already have some good grounds for differentiating their candidacies. (Yes, we do get many applicants from brand name companies admitted into the top schools each year too.)

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

bschool2004
    Participant

David:

I have good recs, great extracurricular, pretty good work experience, a 700 GMAT, but my grades are a little low (2.75) I had hard majors and went to a tier 1 school.

My question is: Out of MIT, Northwestern, Tuck, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and Stanford what 3 schools do you think are most likely to overlook my lower GPA and which absolutely won’t overlook it? Thanks in advance.

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

David:

I have good recs, great extracurricular, pretty good work experience, a 700 GMAT, but my grades are a little low (2.75) I had hard majors and went to a tier 1 school.

My question is: Out of MIT, Northwestern, Tuck, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and Stanford what 3 schools do you think are most likely to overlook my lower GPA and which absolutely won’t overlook it? Thanks in advance.

Good question. Your GPA can be mitigated at any of these schools, particularly if you have a balanced GMAT score and you are not a member of an extremely competitive demographic. Many admissions officers believe that your GMAT quantitative score is an accurate predictor of your success handling the first year b-school curriculum.

Given that HBS and Stanford are the two most selective schools, depending on the particular fit of your candidacy, these are probably the two least likely to overlook the GPA. That said, we have placed many applicants at both these schools with lower GPAs and GMAT scores than yours.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.