Home Forums MBA Admission Admissions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marc1838
    Participant

Although I scored fairly well on my GMAT (710, 96th percentile quant adn 90+ verbal), my overall GPA was weak at a 2.5, despite a 3.2 finance GPA. I’ve been doing I-banking for the past 3 years for a top international firm and have several extracurricular activities. Do I have any shot at top 20 schools?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Although I scored fairly well on my GMAT (710, 96th percentile quant adn 90+ verbal), my overall GPA was weak at a 2.5, despite a 3.2 finance GPA. I’ve been doing I-banking for the past 3 years for a top international firm and have several extracurricular activities. Do I have any shot at top 20 schools?

Good question. The short answer is yes. An applicant with an area of weakness but other strong areas (it sounds like work experience and extracurriculars are strengths) can gain admission to a top school. It certainly won’t hurt that you have a good GMAT score to mitigate your GPA and demonstrate you can handle the b-school curriculum.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

blue329
    Participant

Hi David,

I have a few questions regarding the application process….

Regarding filling application forms, I am wondering whether most people handwrite or type? If type, do most people use acrobat editer or typewriter?

I heard that it looks more professional if you type. But I can’t figure out how to use acrobat editer and it’s becoming a hazzle for me because I am running out of time writing up other application items…..

Also, some school ask what other schools you apply to on the form. Do they use that info to judge whether to accept you or not? Do they have a way to verify which schools you did apply to? (through GMAT report perhaps?)

Also wondering, the GMAT report only 3 latest scores, but retain your score on record for 5 years, so what happens if you squeeze your best score off the record when you take GMAT the 4th time?

Does ETS provide an averaged GMAT score at the end of report sent to schools? Do the schools get the same type of report we get from ETS for our GMAT score? –> I have heard lots of different sayings on this and was very confused…..

Thanks a lot & Look forward to seeing your professional opinion!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Hi David,

I have a few questions regarding the application process….

Regarding filling application forms, I am wondering whether most people handwrite or type? If type, do most people use acrobat editer or typewriter?

Most b-school applications are online and utilize either the embark or apply yourself formats. You simply type your information directly into the application.

I heard that it looks more professional if you type. But I can’t figure out how to use acrobat editer and it’s becoming a hazzle for me because I am running out of time writing up other application items…..

Most schools allow you to download the .pdf version so you can see their forms and essay questions. There should be online forms available.

Also, some school ask what other schools you apply to on the form. Do they use that info to judge whether to accept you or not? Do they have a way to verify which schools you did apply to? (through GMAT report perhaps?)

The GMAC reports tell them the other schools you sent your scores to and the FASFA report tells them other schools you sent to whom your financial aid was sent. They expect that you will apply to multiple schools if you really want an MBA. More often than not, applicants who claim they are only applying to one school aren’t taken seriously. This issue is best addressed in the why XYZ b-school essay — or whatever essay you work that into.

Also wondering, the GMAT report only 3 latest scores, but retain your score on record for 5 years, so what happens if you squeeze your best score off the record when you take GMAT the 4th time?

There will be concern about why you took the exam so many times and why you were not able to increase your score over the next 3 attempts. Depending on the exact detail of the scores received and the exact nature of your ‘story’, this will likely need to be addressed in your application.

Does ETS provide an averaged GMAT score at the end of report sent to schools? Do the schools get the same type of report we get from ETS for our GMAT score? –> I have heard lots of different sayings on this and was very confused…..

They will see all your scores from the past 5 years.

Thanks a lot & Look forward to seeing your professional opinion!

No problem. Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with your applications.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

Sandy@34375
    Participant

I am from India. Done Bachelor of Engineering in Computer technology
    with avg of 61% ( Don’t know how to convert in GPA).

If I want to do my MBA from the best schools, should I consider doing
    Graduate degree from a good university, so that I will have change to show my academic skills by scoring good GPA.
    Currently I have 1.6 yrs of exp as a DBA in a branded MNC,
    and joining my new job as a Data modeler for datawarehousing.

Little bit confused while taking the decision, should I go directly for MBA with good GMAT score, less GPA, and good work exp, or …. should I do Graduate study first with Datawarehousing as a Major with good GPAs and then apply for MBA.

Hoping for your kind reply.

Sandy….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.