Home Forums Medical School Miscellaneous IT courses in Med School?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cangst
    Participant

I stumbled on this board and thought someone might be able to help. I’m writing my dissertation (business school) on the impact of information technology on healthcare. One portion of one of my essays examines the use of technology by practitioners (MDs, NP, etc). I do not have a medical background and one hypothesis that I’m attempting to test is whether there is a connection between the amount of IT training that a student gets in med school and the subsequent use of IT in his/her career. Of course there is lots of discussion around electronic health records right now but there is a very low acceptance rate. My question is, does anyone know of a place to find a head-to-head comparison of med school curriculums? Based on your experience, are IT courses offered in med school? FYI, by ‘IT courses’ I mean everything from; exposure and use of EMRs to understanding the business and clinical value of using technology tools such as PDAs, wireless tablet computers, CPOEs, etc.
    Thank you in advance.

y82benji
    Participant

I can tell you that I am just starting at Duke and they have us buy laptops to be able to go through lecture notes online during the lecture and to run simulation programs. The second year they have us get PDAs to coordinate our activities and have references available while doing clinical rotations. I would say that exposure to current technology is the trend over classes for the technology, although I can’t speak for every medical school. Many medical schools have their curricula posted on their websites. Just start at http://www.aamc.org to get a list of medical schools and links to their websites. I do not know of any places to find someone who has already done a systematic comparison of schools’ curricula.

cangst
    Participant

Thanks y82benji,
    I appreciate the help and I’m very pleased to hear that Duke is taking IT seriously. Hopefully others can share their experiences about IT training at other schools.
    cangst

y82benji
    Participant

No problem – glad to help your research if even just a little bit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.