Home Forums College Admission Can I still get into a public state school?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  meegs112 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

meegs112
    Participant

I am an upcoming junior going to a private, catholic, college prep, high school in NE. During my freshman year of high school I really messed myself up. I mean I really messed up bad and my GPA was at a 1.9 or something. I had a lot of personal issues because I had really low self confidence and I just gave up on myself. At the end of 9th grade I had mostly C’s and D’s. I promised myself I would pull my grades upward my next 3 years and I kept my promise. My grades aren’t straight A’s but I have a B average right now and I’ve pulled my GPA up to a 2.3. I know, my GPA still sucks going into my junior year but I’m retaking one of the classes I did really poorly in online. I’m not a slacker like some of the kids who say their GPA is really low. I run JV Track & Field, I’m a member of the school’s yearbook committee, and I’m a member of the Pro-Life club, workstudy, along with working 2 jobs (One summer job as a lifeguard and one year round job at a grocery store) because I really want to earn money to go to college. I’ve also won the Good Samaritan award given out by the dean of students two years which is a pretty big deal and most improved in some of my classes. I know I wouldnt be able to get into prestigous schools but I want to know if I can get into 4 schools
    1. UN-Omaha (76% acceptance rate), 2. UN-Lincoln (62% acceptance rate), 3. LSU (69% acceptance rate), and 4. TCU (53% acceptance rate)

I’ve done my research on these schools and know that UNO and UNL residents (Nebraska) need to get a 20 on the ACT and a . LSU has a requirement of a 21 on the ACT and a 3.0 GPA and TCU takes all aspects of the application into consideration.
    My question is… Am I screwed? I really have confidence in myself that I can get into LSU & TCU. Those are my top schools and I would redo 9th grade in a heartbeat if I could. It’s not a matter if I can do the work because I can. My school is also fairly small so it doesn’t offer many honors or AP courses. I know I can get atleast a 24 on the ACT. If I get my GPA up, get my ACT around a 24-26, get recs and write a killer essay do I still have a chance? I’m willing to work hard and do whatever it takes.

meegs112
    Participant

I also have about 40 hours of service hours over the course of 9th-10th grade.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.