Home Forums Medical School Admission A father sweating bullets

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mod 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Olive65
    Participant

Hello All,

I never had the chance to go to college. After high school I drove a fork lift on a loading dock. I then worked for many years as room service waiter and then a bus driver to support my family. My son told me while he was in high school that he wanted to be a doctor (his idea). While many of his friends partied through college, my son studied very hard and graduated with a GPA of 3.9. He also had an internship at a national federal lab last summer. Even though he got student loans, I borrowed on the house, worked a double shift for a while, to help pay for his school and MCAT prep courses. My son took the MCAT last August and got a 26. He was disappointed big time. Although I am already very proud of him, and am happy how he turned out…he is so close to accomplishing a goal he set many years ago. He wants to go to an in-state med school and applied to six other schools. He received secondary applications to four of them, but so far…no interviews. I have had a rough life and prefer blunt. What are the chances of someone getting into a state med school with a 26 score?

mod
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I believe he would still have a chance but it would behoove him to re take the MCAT if he is confident he can score higher.

Best of luck!

Olive65
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Well, my son found out a few days ago that he was invited for an interview by an instate school. I guess his chances have improved. We will see.

Olive65
    Participant

Today my son finally received the news he has been waiting for. He was admitted to med school. All those years of hard work paid off. It is also an incredible feeling for me. I would like to tell those of you working to get into med school…If you set a goal early, study hard, be honest with yourself, perform at least one act of kindness everyday, and follow the good advice of the consultants on this site, you will succeed! Good luck to all of you from a very proud father.

mod
    Keymaster

Congratulations to both of you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.