Home Forums Graduate School Admission Psychological/Neuro-Anthropology Grad School

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kbert
    Participant

Dear Admissions Consultants,

I graduated from a small private school in 2009 with an overall GPA of 3.5; I was pre-med the entire way through school, so a lot of what drove my GPA down was taking rather difficult hard-science classes. I majored in Anthro/Soc (GPA 3.8), and minored in Biology. On the GRE, I got a 640 in Verbal, and a 690 in Quantitative. For the past 2 years, I’ve been working as an interviewer for a behavioral genetics research project on substance abuse. I know i can get at least two really good letters of recommendation, but I’m a bit concerned about my third letter.

Part of my problem with applying to grad school is that there are so few programs that really fit my specifications for what I want to do. I’d like to get a PhD in Psychological Anthropology, with a particular focus on neuropsychobiology, and I’d like to do a dissertation focusing on a cross-cultural analysis on sex and gender (including the biological aspects). I’m not sure if this level of specificity works to my advantage or disadvantage. My top schools at the moment are University of Chicago’s Comparative Human Development program, UCSD Psychological Anthropology, Emory Cultural Anthropology (with a certificate in the Center for Mind, Brain, and Culture program), UC Davis Anthropology, and UCLA Psychocultural and Medical Anthropology. Aside from those, I haven’t been able to find much that fits what I want.

1) What do you think my chances are of getting in to any of those programs?
    2) What are my chances of getting decent financial aid/scholarships, etc?
    3) Is there anything I can do to improve my chances? Most people going to grad school now are doing so because the economy is terrible, and they might as well be in school. But I just am generally totally in love with scholarship, and would want to do this even if the economy were fabulous.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance!

Sincerely,
    Kali

mod
    Keymaster

Hi Kali and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I suggest you repost this under the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread. Be sure to click “Reply to Thread” instead of “New Thread.”

Best of luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.