Home Forums MBA GMAT ULTIMATE GMAT POLL

This topic contains 19 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  hilo808 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

swoop
    Participant

Brettman,

Can you share the list of Prep tests, classroom courses and total effort towards the high score you’ve managed?

Thanks.

ColtSeavers
    Participant

I saw this somewhere before, but I think effort is the real key.

quote:

Originally posted by swoop

Brettman,

Can you share the list of Prep tests, classroom courses and total effort towards the high score you’ve managed?

Thanks.

ColtSeavers
    Participant

Oh to answer the original question, I don’t think the GMAT score has any real value. No employer will care how you did. It’s just a legalized monopoly. That’s all.

8854drew
    Participant

I think that the GMAT is nothing more than a money making scheme developed by large corporations, namely GMAC. Other corporations such as Kaplan and Princeton Review are also involved in the monopoly. Just think about how much it costs to register for the test, nearly three hundred dollars. And what about the prep classes or “review” books? What if your ill the day of your test and you can’t afford to pay the fifty dollars to reschedule?…you could easily spend thousands of dollars throughout the entire process.

Also, if an individual is paying top dollar to take this test why should they be penalized if they want to cancel scores?

Perhaps most importantly, there is absolutely no correlation between success in graduate school and success on one of these standardized tests, and in no way does an applicants “score” accurately represent their aptitude for gradute study. (Although I’m sure GMAC would try to convince you otherwise.)

Please tell me how the GMAT relates to the world of business? Pleaes tell me why students are made to take this ridiculous test? The only information that the GMAT accurately predicts is how well an applicant fills in bubbles on a computer screen. Besides a money making scheme, the GMAT and other standardized tests are simply a “weeding out” tool used by graduate admissions personnel. Unfortunatley, many qualified and talented students are denied admission to business school just because they don’t test well. Please show me the “real-world” relevance of the GMAT?

I already have masters degree. I have 3.3 GPA from my undergraduate college. I have several years of work experience. I have already demonstrated my abilities in a graduate and work setting. Why do I need the GMAT? Why should my academic and professional future rest in the hands of GMAC? Why should one four-hour test determine so much?

hilo808
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by 8854drew

I think that the GMAT is nothing more than a money making scheme developed by large corporations, namely GMAC. Other corporations such as Kaplan and Princeton Review are also involved in the monopoly. Just think about how much it costs to register for the test, nearly three hundred dollars. And what about the prep classes or “review” books? What if your ill the day of your test and you can’t afford to pay the fifty dollars to reschedule?…you could easily spend thousands of dollars throughout the entire process.

Also, if an individual is paying top dollar to take this test why should they be penalized if they want to cancel scores?

Perhaps most importantly, there is absolutely no correlation between success in graduate school and success on one of these standardized tests, and in no way does an applicants “score” accurately represent their aptitude for gradute study. (Although I’m sure GMAC would try to convince you otherwise.)

Please tell me how the GMAT relates to the world of business? Pleaes tell me why students are made to take this ridiculous test? The only information that the GMAT accurately predicts is how well an applicant fills in bubbles on a computer screen. Besides a money making scheme, the GMAT and other standardized tests are simply a “weeding out” tool used by graduate admissions personnel. Unfortunatley, many qualified and talented students are denied admission to business school just because they don’t test well. Please show me the “real-world” relevance of the GMAT?

I already have masters degree. I have 3.3 GPA from my undergraduate college. I have several years of work experience. I have already demonstrated my abilities in a graduate and work setting. Why do I need the GMAT? Why should my academic and professional future rest in the hands of GMAC? Why should one four-hour test determine so much?

This might be the best reply on this excellent thread.

Of course its just random venting until some brave b-schools stop requiring the stupid worthless test.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.