Home Forums Mindless Banter Post any non admissions related material here 1 Afirmative action is scammed/abused

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jcudemos 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

student54
    Participant

There is a family I know that is a member of the latino miniority group. A lot of the family is extremely wealthy. There is large family construction business that has made most of them millionaires. A lot them have 3-4 million dollar houses. Some of them have 10 million plus in their bank accounts. Yet most of their kids take minority scholarships and grants. They go to schools like UCLA, The University of Texas and UPenn. They tend to target schools the are supplemented by our tax dollars and claim miniority priveleges that should be given to low income students. One immediate close family relative could easily fund all the kids college educations but they feel entitled to game the system because well they are miniorities. One of these kids I know well went to college on a full latino scholarship and did not graduate. I believe he did not graduate because he did not need to because his family had so much money a degree was really not important. This was not required for his family business…so fours year of public money went to waste…no degree.. but today he works for the family business. My guess not giving back anyone but himself. The crazy thing is latino people will be the majority in the USA in less then a decade. Hey, I not worried about the population shift there are some outstanding hispanic people in this country. The numbers don’t bother me. However, the fact remains affirmative is rarely done correctly, it is a crooked system, full of loopholes (created by frivilous lawsuits) that are abused and screws over people who need it most. It should be based on being poor not the color of your skin. One of the questions before giving grants/scholarships should be is your uncle/Aunt/Sister/brother worth 10 million? If the answer is yes…then hey maybe the scholarship should go to that bankrupt orphan blind kid in wheel chair that does know where her next meal is…even if she happens to be white. Everyone is so scared and since they don’t understand the true mission/rules of affirmative action it has become in some cases a “put up your hands or I am going to sue your ass off” policy…because darn it I want my fancy sports car now.

student54
    Participant

Just want to add I am not against affirmative action if it really goes to the right people. But if your truly not poor and your family has money don’t take a scholarship or grant that is meant for people without financial means. Don’t take assistance unless you truly need it. If you do need help and take money, pay back society by doing something good for others occasionaly. A lot of people who get assistance do good things for this country and their communities..be one of those people.

jcudemos
    Participant

The situation that you’ve presented is extremely rare and seems to be more like a tirade against minorities, rather than a valid topic. Most of these minorities are the first in their families to even go past High school, let alone University. These scholarships are given because these minority students bring a different point of view and look to the campus. Many of these hispanic student’s don’t have a family support system for their education, there fore their chances to attain an education are difficult. When they do choose to pursue a degree they receive finacial support because of the difficulties they face. These scholarships are setup to attract students to universities that don’t have as much diversity. Altough, it is true that the hispanic population will occupy half of the population pretty soon, the percentage of those hispanic americans with a college degree are minimal in numbers. Because they are going to become such a large part of the United States, we would like to have them contribute to something more than working in the fields like their parents had to. Do you mind?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.