Home Forums Law School Admission What are my chances?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mod.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    academiccricket
    Participant

Hello,

I’m interested in going to law school for international law. Due to economic circumstances (I worked full-time in college, first gen college student, etc), I ended up with a LSAC GPA of approximately a 2.85 (double-major in English and Religion). Since I knew the day would come that I would have to account for poor grades, I retook all of the classes that I initially did poorly in and received A’s and B’s in them all, that just isn’t factored into my degree GPA or really reflected in the LSAC GPA. Also, it has been 4 years since my graduation, so hopefully that will help me.

Since then, I have completed two Masters degrees (one at a top 30 school) in Jewish Studies and Near Eastern Studies with GPAs of X>3.7. I’m aware that these aren’t indicative of academic success since graduate programs are infamous for grade inflation, however, my “softs” also include teaching two courses as an adjunct instructor (Eng. 101 and an upper-division religion class) at a small, liberal arts college, an international presentation at Trinity College, Dublin, and a small publication. For what it is worth (if anything), I’ve also taken loads of foreign language courses (mostly dead languages).

I’ve been practicing the LSAT, going over the logic games bible, and 2 other books. My timed practice tests put me at over 170, but obviously until I actually see these scores on paper, practice tests don’t mean much. [:p]

I’m not applying to HYS, but I was wondering about splitter-friendly schools in the t-14 (specifically Cornell), and also looking towards BU (I live in Boston, so this would also be desirable as I am hesitant to leave the East Coast)…how seriously would my application be taken, if I were to get a 165+ LSAT, given the time elapsed from my ugpa and my softs?

mod
    Keymaster

Hi academiccricket and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I am not an expert but I do believe that the fact that you retook the courses you previously did poorly in will definitely help your chances. At this point it’s basically about how well you are able to do on the LSAT in addition to your personal statement and overall application. If you are able to mitigate the weaknesses in your application through these items or possibly an addendum, I believe you could be considered a competitive applicant.

Best of luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.