Home Forums Law School Admission What Should I Do?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SHANbangs
    Participant

Hi,

I am currently an incoming 4th year student at the University of Toronto contemplating whether to stay in school for an extra year or to graduate on time and then work for a year during which I will apply to law schools.

Here is my background: I currently have an UGPA of 3.34 in International Relations that reflects an upward trend (3.13, 3.38, 3.44). I believe with the right motivation and tenacity (something I was lacking in my previous years) I will be able to pull a 3.6 or higher during my last year to pull up my cumulative GPA to a 3.42. A bit more detail: while my grades are not stellar, all of them are either As or Bs. And while I doubt admissions officers are aware of this, University of Toronto has a reputation in Canada of being incredibly rigorous and grade deflationary. Hence, almost all of my grades are above or far above the class average. My LSAT score is a 167.

My extra-curriculars and work experiences are a bit more impressive: I am senior editor of the school’s international relations magazine, associate comment editor of the school newspaper, and outgoing president (I am stepping down for my 4th year) of a student activist group dealing with middle eastern affairs. Outside of school, I blog for Encyclopedia Britannica and am a contributor to an online politics magazine (Doublethink Online). I have done stints as a research analyst for both the school’s G8 Research Group and a professor in Media Studies. My summer jobs include interning at an education reform think tank (where I wrote public policy papers) and working at an IP law firm in Beijing (where I do research on cases, compile legislative files, and copy edit).

With that in mind, I have two questions. A) do I have a reasonable shot at the top 30 US law schools and B) which would be more valuable: taking a year off after 4th year to work and apply to schools or taking a 5th year to boost my by GPA adding a minor?

PS: I am an asian male. Will that count against me with regards to racial diversity ie. Michigan or Berkley?

Much thanks for any advice and feedback.

– Josh.

mod
    Keymaster

Hi Josh and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I see that you have already posted this question on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread. You should be receiving a more expert response than I can provide you with shortly.

Best of luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.