Home Forums Law School Admission Admissions questions…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cason_clements
    Participant

I have many questions. I am planning on applying to law schools for acceptance in the fall 2004. However, at this point, I do not know what my LSAT scores will be (I’m taking it in October). So, I have two questions:

1) I have been averaging between a 168-171 on actual LSAT’s. So, do you think these “practice” scores are a good indicator of how I will actually do on the day of the big test?

2) If I do 2-3 points worse, will it make that tremendous of a difference in my admission chances to Northwestern (where I really want to go!)? I have a feeling that the answer to this question is yes, but I’m wondering what you think about it…I have four years of work experience as a high school teacher in Chicago Public Schools and a decent (not spectacular) GPA–3.56. What do you think?

Additionally, what would be a good positioning strategy for me…I have very little experience with the law, although I am reading up on it more and more to get an idea of what I’m getting into. My plan, at this point, is to help the school I currently teach at with a new pro bono program (to gain more insight into what the legal profession entails) helping members of the primarily Mexican-American neighborhood with immigration problems, which is what has inspired me to become a lawyer…however, I do not want to limit myself to just this field of law. I really would also like to get involved with changing/revising/manipulating current education laws to actually benefit students–laws are broken on a daily basis at the school I teach at. I do my part, in doing the best job I can, but after 4 years, I feel like there are so many obstacles outside of the classroom, that I want to help the students with these issues more–I’m thinking I could have more of an impact.

Do you think this is a valid positioning strategy (not just a strategy, because I do believe in it very much)? I have heard you must be very careful when claiming altruistic purposes for studying law…

ssss
    Participant

Good questions. You might want to post this for the admissions consulting poeple. I don’t know the answers and I am not sure who else would.

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your questions. It is difficult to predict how you will perform the day of the LSAT. Remember to stay calm and keep in mind that you have prepared as well as you could for the test. Usually scores received on practice tests administered under timed conditions are fairly accurate.

Without knowing your entire story it is difficult to predict your chances of admission to any law school. Keep in mind that while your LSAT and GPA are important so are your letters of recommendation, personal statement, professional/ extra curricular experiences and community service. In short, it is the entire package you present not just one or two pieces.

In terms of your positioning strategy, your reasons for pursuing the JD degree might change as you begin your legal studies. Admissions committees know this to be the case for many if not most applicants. That said, you can certainly discuss what you know now (based on your past experiences) and use that as your ‘positioning strategy’.

Good luck,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

cason_clements
    Participant

Dear Renee,

Thank you for answering my questions! I guess I’m most worried about the LSAT because I feel like it limits where I can apply to…

Plus, the last test I took like this was the SAT (which I suppose it is for most), 8 years ago. I’m remembering the stress of the standardized test that controls your destiny. Ah…memories.

Anyway, once again, thank you.

Cason

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.