Home Forums Medical School Admission Low GPA and/or Low MCAT score

This topic contains 150 replies, has 122 voices, and was last updated by  MDadmit 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 151 total)
  • Author

jodee29
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by cog1463

quote:

Originally posted by yokelridesagain

Cog-

Unfortunately, admission to medical school is going to be extraordinarily difficult. Many medical schools have an “unofficial” GPA cutoff without which they won’t even review your application. The “Admissions Consultants” here will tell you that your chance of admission to medical school with a GPA of <3 are approximately 2%.

You will need to address your difficulties during undergrad in full detail in your application. I would think that entrance to and excellent performance in a “special Masters” program as at Georgetown or BU where you compete directly against current medical students is your only realistic hope of admission.

Sorry I can’t offer you better news.

Yokel,

I decided to return to school full-time (postbacclaurate) taking all of the premedical prerequisite courses over again with a sound mind. After which, I plan to enter a Special Masters program in Biomedical Sciences. Then, I’ll take or re-take the MCAT and apply to medical schools. Does this plan sound feesible?
    Should I apply to medical schools over seas in my position?
    Have you ever heard of any medical students or physicians in a similar situation that were successful getting into medical school?

C.O.G.

By the way, which school is BU[?]

C.O.G.
    Your last post was in 2005. How did everything turn out? Did you get into a medical school?
    Any advise would be great. I’m in the same situation and going the same route.

pinkhair25
    Participant

NYCOM/NYIT

quote:

Originally posted by SamanthaH3

Hi. I am in the same boat as your sister was. Can you tell me what medical school she got into?

Thank you!

-Sam

quote:

Originally posted by pinkhair21

quote:

Originally posted by thymol_blue

…to DO (osteopathic) Schools, and to Carribean medical schools — you’ll get into both. You’d just waste your money applying to regular med schools through AMCAS — unless you happen to live in Alabama or Missisippi or a couple of other states where your numbers are actually close to “competitive” for the med schools there. For most other schools in most other states, you’re not even in the same ballpark as “competitive”. Sorry if it sounds harsh.

I disagree with you. My sister had a low MCAT score (16) and a GPA of a 3.4 or 3.3 I think it was? And she still got into medical school in the USA. It depends on what medical school you are applying, and if you fit what they are looking for. Also, I’ve heard some people have a high GPA and MCAT score, and still didn’t get in. JJJD in my opinion, apply. If you want, you can re-take courses or take extra classes, that’s great, but I don’t think it’s necessary because your MCATS are great.

Jia En
    Participant

Hello. :D

I am currently studying a Hospitality and Tourism diploma. I wants to be a doctor and hope to be able to take medicine degree in Singapore medical school or overseas medical school. I have not complete my diploma and hence, no GPA yet. May i know the chances of me getting into a medical school without science backgrounds? Thanks a lot! :D

anthrodev
    Participant

Hey. Wow, I can totally relate. Same story for me during my first 2 years. So, I had a 3.0 science GPA with an overall undergrad GPA of 3.6 and had been a pharmacy technician for 4 years. I applied to pharmacy school 2 years in a row with a PCAT in the 88th percentile and did not get in. However, I didn’t spread myself very thin–I only applied to one school the first time and 3 schools the second time. If you really want to get into a program, I would recommend building on your resume with health-related community service and employment with people who can write you a good recommendation letter. Take a Kaplan course if you are worried about the exam. Also, apply to as many places as you can! Finally, if you are interested in really showing how much you have improved, you could always get another degree. I am a Masters student in Public Health now and loving it! Good luck to you.

Hi everyone,

I’m currently a senior in college majoring in biology with a focus on microbiology/immunology. During my first two years of undergraduate coursework I earned horrible grades due to anxiety and depression. I have since seen a counselor every week for about a year and am now at a place where I am able to focus on my work. I am getting good grades now but I’m afraid I won’t be able to pull my GPA much higher than a 2.8 before I graduate.

I’m considering medical school and pharmacy school but I’d like to have some idea of if it will even be possible to be accepted. What kind of PCAT and MCAT scores would make me competitive with such a low GPA?

Also, I’m a member of a pre-health profession frat that emphasizes volunteer work, and a member of several other clubs. I know that I need experience in a hospital setting but are there any other extracurriculars that will help me to stand out?

[/quote]

Devin Petersen

vjsnazz
    Participant

I struggled during my first two years as an undergrad for nonacademic reasons and as a result have an undergrad gpa of 3.2 (I just graduated with a BSc, Biomedical Science Major). I wrote the MCAT last summer and got a 38R.

What would be my chances? Do i still have a shot due to my low GPA?

Tribe2013
    Participant

I am currently in college I am a upcoming junior and i want to make myself as competitive as possible

what i have or want
    research for two years and a summer fellowship ( i will continue for another two years, possibly another fellowship and a honors thesis)
    chem major with math minor
    will join a scribe program to get some shadowing experience
    3.2 GPA not happy with that at ( my primary question about this is if I am able to get mostly A’s and A-‘s does that count that after two years I was able to pull myself out of a hole because by my calc I wont be able to get higher than a 3.56 even if I get all A’s from now on.
    I have been holding a job for the past semester and will continue to work
    I have held a one or two leadership positions on campus ( will be continuing that)

I really want to be a physician and the thought of it makes me more excited than i can describe I have started researching schools that would work for me my list includes ( is this reasonable to shoot for with what i have?)

1) univ of Cali at san fran
    2) baylor
    3) UVA
    4)EVMS
    5)george mason
    6)VCU
    7)Howard
    8)VT

is this at all reasonable?

thanks

Tribe2013
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by vjsnazz

I struggled during my first two years as an undergrad for nonacademic reasons and as a result have an undergrad gpa of 3.2 (I just graduated with a BSc, Biomedical Science Major). I wrote the MCAT last summer and got a 38R.

What would be my chances? Do i still have a shot due to my low GPA?

can i ask how did you study for your MCAT’s because I am in the same GPA boat? please and thank you for your help

amrikakirani
    Participant

Hello,

I’m having a hard time judging my chances of getting into medical school and was hoping you could provide some insight. I went to UC Berkeley and graduated with a GPA of 3.31 and an MCAT score of 31 as well as some research experience. I’m currently working as a research associate for a company and was hoping to apply this June for a chance to go to school next year. What do you think are the chances of me getting into a decent US medical school and is there a particular resource you would suggest that I can use to narrow down my choices as to where I should apply? Thank you so much!

yourmom2
    Participant

Hi, I have a 21Q MCAT and a 3.4 GPA. What are my chances at a D.O. school and which schools?

EUBANKS1212
    Participant

Best of luck to all of you!

runnergirl11
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Cale

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say that I’ve been reading these posts for a long time for insight and was in the same position all of you are in now. I graduated with a 2.85 GPA and decided I would like to go back to school as a pre-med student. My advisor instantly wrote me off and explained that my grades were too low and that retaking classes would be a “drop in the bucket” towards my GPA. After the meeting I was more determined than ever to prove the advisor wrong.

I now have a GPA of 3.82, but had to work very hard in order to do this. It took me one year to get rid of all C’s and D’s on my transcript along with another year to get my pre-reqs in. I took the MCAT and got a 32 and found myself getting accepted to two Medical Schools.

It seems like a daunting task, but raising your GPA IS possible and will take a little time. Don’t let anyone tell you that Medical School just isn’t for you. I encourage everyone to get a calculator out and play with your grades a little. You will see that raising your GPA might be easier than you think. Good luck to all!

Hi Cale,
    The beginning of your story sounds like mine, are you still around to give some advice?

Rain1234
    Participant

Im confused about medical school

LT

EKing22
    Participant

Hi!

Okay I’m new here but I’d like some advice.

First, my GPA dropped in my sophomore year (taking too many classes/ECs (soup kitchen, EMT, school paper, TA)) and then in my junior year, my grandmother passed away and I went through a mild depression and it dropped further. After some counselling and reevaluation, my GPA rose steadily and I graduated with a 3.0 (I’m taking classes right now and should have a 3.1 at the end of the spring semester). I only explained because I felt that someone would ask if I had any reason for the GPA issues.

MCAT: So I studied like a mad person because I knew I had no other choice, and somehow or the oter I ended up with a 40R on it! Yay!

ECs: I’ve been in Amnesty International since HS and I continued actively in college. I’ve been in the school ambulance service since my freshman year. I’ve volunteered at a hospital freshman and sophomore year and since my junior year I’ve been doing research with a doctor in London on pharmacovigilance. I’ve done research at my school with 3 professors as well (I applied for and got a research grant for one of them). I was in a pre-med fraternity so I got to volunteer in many different areas. I was in the Karate club, Newspaper, Swim Club and three other organizations (they were religious/race based so I’m not going into specifics). I founded SADD on my campus in my senior year. I’ve TA’d for two classes (physics and chem). I’ve written and published a YA novel (this is because I genuinely love writing). Currently, I’m working at a Cancer Center (it’s one of the top 3 in the country) as a research assistant assisting with clinical trials of cancer therapies. Before that I worked briefly at Pepsi as a Lab asst. (they took me before I graduated so I was in the process of applying to the CC). I also worked for Dell as a campus rep. These are the main things off the top of my head.

I’m an URM, which is all very well and good, but counts for very little, to be honest.

Anyway, I’d just like to know what schools you’d recommend I apply to. Specific schools would be appreciated, since I know everyone says “apply broadly.” Also, what are my chances of getting into schools in NY (I’m a resident). Or should I just not apply until I have a higher GPA? Thank you all so much! I know it’s long and I appreciate it. :)

destiny786
    Participant

Hey,
    Can you let me know more about stats?
    Message me please!

quote:

Originally posted by pinkhair25

NYCOM/NYIT

quote:

Originally posted by SamanthaH3

Hi. I am in the same boat as your sister was. Can you tell me what medical school she got into?

Thank you!

-Sam

quote:

Originally posted by pinkhair21

quote:

Originally posted by thymol_blue

…to DO (osteopathic) Schools, and to Carribean medical schools — you’ll get into both. You’d just waste your money applying to regular med schools through AMCAS — unless you happen to live in Alabama or Missisippi or a couple of other states where your numbers are actually close to “competitive” for the med schools there. For most other schools in most other states, you’re not even in the same ballpark as “competitive”. Sorry if it sounds harsh.

I disagree with you. My sister had a low MCAT score (16) and a GPA of a 3.4 or 3.3 I think it was? And she still got into medical school in the USA. It depends on what medical school you are applying, and if you fit what they are looking for. Also, I’ve heard some people have a high GPA and MCAT score, and still didn’t get in. JJJD in my opinion, apply. If you want, you can re-take courses or take extra classes, that’s great, but I don’t think it’s necessary because your MCATS are great.

rottwylor
    Participant

Hello,

I have a quick question, since I just paid for my MCAT seat for September. However, I have an odd situation and would like to know if going through the MCAT and application process will be a waste of time.

Some background. I’m 34 and typically take 2-3 courses per semester while working full time. I graduate in 2010 with an Assoc. of Science and a 3.5 GPA. Before that, it had been 10+ years since my first attempt at post-secondary, and it went very very bad. So my second attempt later in life definitely has shown a very strong improvement.

After my associates, I then transferred to a 4 year university where I am currently at and will be graduating spring 2013 with a bach in biology. My first semester at this university left me with a 3.81 GPA, my second semester was awful (ochem and genetics) and I ended the term with two Cs, bringing my GPA down to 2.94.

I believe, if I get straight A’s from now until spring of next year (I also go during the summer), the highest my GPA will be is around a 3.6. Not the best, and a little disheartening.

I’m not sure how I’ll do on the MCAT, but I’ve given myself enough time to prepare. However, I’m wondering if it’s even worth the effort at this point. I’m not extremely confident that I’ll maintain straight A’s until graduation, simply with what I’ve planned out course wise, and the fact I work 40+ hours a week.

Has anyone else had a similar situation that can offer advice?

I appreciate it.

Cheers :)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.