Home Forums Medical School Admission Low GPA and/or Low MCAT score

This topic contains 150 replies, has 122 voices, and was last updated by  MDadmit 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • Author

JJJD
    Participant

I have a 3.20 GPA and a 24 MCAT score. Should I apply this year? and if yes, where should I apply?
    [?]

Cogito, Ergo Sum

thymol_blue
    Participant

…to DO (osteopathic) Schools, and to Carribean medical schools — you’ll get into both. You’d just waste your money applying to regular med schools through AMCAS — unless you happen to live in Alabama or Missisippi or a couple of other states where your numbers are actually close to “competitive” for the med schools there. For most other schools in most other states, you’re not even in the same ballpark as “competitive”. Sorry if it sounds harsh.

KeeblerElf
    Participant

wow, you chewed him up and spit him out all over the South and in the Caribean!

quote:

Originally posted by thymol_blue

…to DO (osteopathic) Schools, and to Carribean medical schools — you’ll get into both. You’d just waste your money applying to regular med schools through AMCAS — unless you happen to live in Alabama or Missisippi or a couple of other states where your numbers are actually close to “competitive” for the med schools there. For most other schools in most other states, you’re not even in the same ballpark as “competitive”. Sorry if it sounds harsh.

twu
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by JJJD

I have a 3.20 GPA and a 24 MCAT score. Should I apply this year? and if yes, where should I apply?

It’s certainly not impossible to get into medical school with a 3.2 and a 24 on the MCAT. The data, however, on med school admissions shows that the middle-50% of all matriculants (not accepted students necessarily) had a GPA of 3.56 and a 29-30 on the MCAT. This assumes certain things being equal among all matriculants, however, so extrapolation of your chances at admission would be a little difficult without more data points.

My best advice is to hold off on applying this year to medical school. You should take a year (or more) off to revamp your application and make yourself much more competitive.

If you’d like our expert advice on how to make yourself more competitive, please give us a call and try our services.

Timothy Wu, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants

JJJD
    Participant

I know that my chances are very low[:(], but would it help if on my resume I have six scientific publications and have been doing research for the past seven years?? (ranging from HIV/AIDS to Oncology to Molecular Biology to Prostate cancer and now I am doing Immunovirology research). I had the opportunity to shadow about five doctors, three MD’s and two DO’s. I have volunteers in one hospital, three clinics and I am involved in social work in my community.[?][:)][:)]

Cogito, Ergo Sum

twu
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by JJJD

I know that my chances are very low[:(], but would it help if on my resume I have six scientific publications and have been doing research for the past seven years?? (ranging from HIV/AIDS to Oncology to Molecular Biology to Prostate cancer and now I am doing Immunovirology research). I had the opportunity to shadow about five doctors, three MD’s and two DO’s. I have volunteers in one hospital, three clinics and I am involved in social work in my community.

Of course all that stuff will help.

As I’ve been posting all along numbers aren’t the only things the AdComs look at when determining who gets in and who doesn’t.

What you’re looking to do as an applicant is tell a good story about why you want to become a physician. A good application will convey this story well and get your accomplishments to work for you. A poorly written application will blind the AdComs to your qualifications.

We can help you with putting your best foot forward.

Let us know if you are interested in our services.

Timothy Wu, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants

sle
    Participant

I am in the same boat as JJJD, stats-wise. I retook the exam in August and am still awaiting for the score. Should I still turn in the AMCAS knowing I would have very slim chances of getting accepted? I can only hope my scores improve dramatically but I am not too confident. Right now, I am leaning more on doing a Master’s program to improve my GPA. Please advise.

y82benji
    Participant

You haven’t provided much info to make your question easier to answer. But now is kind of late to apply, so you should probably use that master’s program to work on your grades/scores.

kfdh
    Participant

hi
    the stuff i have been reading here does not seem to encouraging to me. but i am in a weird situation. i have a GPA of 3.98, but my last MCAT results is 23, which is an improvement from my last scores. what advise would u have for me. i have research experience and am very involved in different groups. do u think i have a chance at getting in next summer.[:)]

stnne
    Participant

Ok I need help. I have a 3.925 GPA at UCSD and a total MCAT score of 28. What are my chances to get into a Med school in California?

bubabuggy
    Participant

I went to UCSD too. What was your major? I have to take the MCAT in April [V]

y82benji
    Participant

stnne, your chances aren’t too bad with a great GPA, but of course at least 40% of your chances depend on your application, essays, extracurriculars, etc (outside GPA and MCAT). The MCAT could be higher, and applying to only schools in california might limit you to one or two acceptances at most. Make sure to apply to plenty of schools.

wannabeAdoc
    Participant

To anyone with advise:

First off here is my info:
    >3.0 GPA from Emory University with a double degree in Bio and Chem
    >2 years research at Emory along with Howard Hughes Med Initiative
    >28R MCATs: 10 phy, 9 bio, 9 chem
    >1.5 years work experience with the Dept. of Defense on Bio-Terrorism
    >just completed a MBA and MHA(master’s in Health Administration) dual degree program from Georgia State University.
    >resident of Maryland

Basically I applied to med-school while in undergrad and got no where and now its 3 and 1/2 years later. I still want to become a physician even though I have had a great job and completed 2 masters which would undoubtedly get me an even better job. However I still feel as if I am not using my knowledge and abilities to their fullest; where as being a physician, working with patients and helping them live a healthy life would satisfy me in many more ways then I am at the moment.

Any ideas of what avenues I should look at? Particular medical schools or maybe St. George’s, Ross, AUC, etc…

Thanks for any answers.

–Hopeful

dinglebat
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thymol_blue

I’d just like to point out that the University of Alabama School of Medicine, in Birmingham, is one of the most competitive medical schools in the world, as well as one of the most respected research environments. UAB consistently ranks alongside such brand name institutions as Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc., for its ability to educate and prepare physicians. There’s really no need for geographical prejudices like those above.

Premed Parent
    Participant

I am the parent of a premed student. she has a great college GPA. Her high school transcript is less than stellar however. Twenty years ago when I was a perspective premed student, med schools examined back to the high school transcript. Is that still the case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.