Home Forums College Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,208 replies, has 524 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,209 total)
  • Author

jumpinmgz
    Participant

I am currently a senior and will graduate high school in June of 2005. I am having troubles picking the topics for my admission essays into college. On one of the applications I am asked what experience in my life has either demonstrated my character or helped shape it. I was thinking about describing my missions trip to Mexico where I built houses, but I hear that this is not what colleges want to hear. I do believe that my trip to Mexico has helped me be the person I am today. I am wondering if I should take a different approach to this question.

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Jumpinmgz,
    You should definitely use the example of your mission in Mexico if that experience challenged you and led to your personal development. Keep in mind that the content of the essay is more important than the subject matter. Be sure to highlight your development within the experience and avoid generalizing the experience itself. Close the essay by describing how you are a different person now as a result of your mission.
    Services are available through AdmissionsConsultants that may provide the one-on-one feedback you require. Please call 703-242-5885 for further information.
    Take care,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

dinglebrits
    Participant

Path to NASA or lockheed or boeing (engineer–pilot)

so i am aware that these are all very unique and extremely hard to get jobs.

just wondering if you have a good idea of how to get there, my ideal plan is to get into an amazing engineering college (MIT/CALTECH/GEORGIA) and participate in the airforce ROTC during that time. and then of course get my 4 years of duty (hopefully as a pilot) post-graduation… then i’d like to try to get a job at nasa or a major government funded aerospace company and then eventually apply to the astronaut program.

keep in mind that’s all IDEAL, i know its extremely difficult.

any tips? im at the point where i need to pick my college here soon… any tips on which to apply to get where i want to go?

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Dingle,
    Have you visited Nasa’s Website? You will find some student activities that may interest you. Also, have you thought about the United States Air Force Academy?
    Thank you for posting on Admissionsboards.
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

fxie
    Participant

I was wondering, how well does the University of Victoria’s Electrical/Computer Engineering program compare with other Canadian universities?

Also, Camosun College (also in Victoria, BC) offers a Electrical/Computer Engineering Technology diploma program. How well recieved is that in the industry, and since the diploma program transfers directly into 3rd year at Uvic, it allows the completion of an Engineering degree at the University of Victoria as well. How attractive would having both the diploma and degree make you in the eyes of employers?

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Fxie,
    I encourage you to find the right fit program for you by visiting each school, attending a class, and visiting with the admissions offices to learn more about what each program has to offer you, as well as the career development programs available.
    Thank you for posting on Admissionsboards!
    Bonnie

AdmissionsConsultants

soonami1
    Participant

Hi,

I will be graduating next summer with my BSIE from Georgia Tech. My major is Industrial Engineering and my school was ranked #1 for 13 consecutive years. My GPA will be 3.1-3.2. I am a current member of IIE and a few other organizations on campus. I am currently interning with a small supply chain/logistics company while taking 16 credit hours. Upon graduation, I plan on finding another job with a larger company and start preparing for the GMAT. In addition, I have worked as a student assistant, tutoring students with math. What are my chances of getting into a top MBA program such as kellogg, sloan, Wharton, etc? What can i do now to better my chances?

Keymaster

Please do not post this in the college section. There is a reason it was deleted earlier because it doesn’t belong here. This belongs in the MBA section.

Thank you.

d2fox
    Participant

My son is a transfering to a new school this fall as a Junior. In his old school, he was signed up for AP Computer Science and Honors Chemistry among other subjects. The new school is not offering the AP class this year due to lack of interest and also doesn’t have ‘honors’ classes. They are saying he has to wait to take AP science classes until his senior year due to their prerequisites. In addition, with no ‘honors’ classes, they say that their ‘regular’ classes are denoted with a 1 through 4 at the end to signify how difficult the section is that the student is in. So I have two questions:

1. How much does it hurt him to wait on AP classes until senior year.
    2. Do colleges really look at the course #’s close enough on an application that it makes a difference whether a student is in the ‘high’ chemistry section or a ‘regular’ chemistry section, when the school just lists the course name and weight as ‘chemistry’. They apparently don’t weight the grades at all. I’m wondering from an admissions perspective if it’s in his better interest to take a ‘regular’ section.

We’re told this is a ‘good’ high school, but I’m unsure how a college is going to regard these items.

Douce
    Participant

Hello I am from Canada and will be entering High School in a short time. I was wondering how our perctage grading system would to an American GPA. For example what would a 89% equavilant GPA be. Thank you….

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear D2Fox,
    Although AP coursework is considered the best way to prepare for studies in college, it is true they are not always available to High School students. I would encourage your son to take the classes that are available to him that will challenge him most and get the best grade in each class. Keep in mind that an Admissions Committee will consider his grades and SAT/ACT scores combined in order to determine his ability to handle college coursework.
    Thank you for posting your question on admissionsboards.
    Regards,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

JBT
    Participant

I graduated in 2000 from a top public university in Texas and have spent the last 4 years in high technology sales. My undergrad GPA is atrocious. It took me 7 years to complete a BS in poultry science and I only graduated with a 2.0 after the dean granted several “No Grades”. After graduation I was diagnosed with ADHD. I am starting to realize my full academic potential and would like to enter medical school in the next few years.

I plan on attending a local public satellite school to obtain a second undergraduate degree in Biology. If I am able to post extremely high grades in this program and perform well on the MCAT is there any hope for my medical school dream?

Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by JBT

I graduated in 2000 from a top public university in Texas and have spent the last 4 years in high technology sales. My undergrad GPA is atrocious. It took me 7 years to complete a BS in poultry science and I only graduated with a 2.0 after the dean granted several “No Grades”. After graduation I was diagnosed with ADHD. I am starting to realize my full academic potential and would like to enter medical school in the next few years.

I plan on attending a local public satellite school to obtain a second undergraduate degree in Biology. If I am able to post extremely high grades in this program and perform well on the MCAT is there any hope for my medical school dream?

This question should be posted in the medical school section, not the college section.

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear JBT,
    I would look at the success rate of graduates entering med school from the satellite school you plan to attend. See if the school can provide any statistics on the number of graduates who enter med school following graduation, and the schools that are accepting them.
    Keep up the momentum!
    All the best,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

dreekk
    Participant

Hi David,

I was just wondering how negatively or positively admission comittee members look at candidates who have switched jobs with less than a year of experience in their previous job. My first job, i had only worked for 9 months before I decided to move the reason is because I wanted to concentrate on a different aspect of the industry. ( From government audits to commercial audits) I was wondering how negatively this would impact my application?

My second question, is that I have read in your posting that you routinely encourage applicants to not worry too much about working for small/ boutique firms as they will add to diversity. But looking a the big picture—after grad school won’t you think that ppl working in small/boutique firm will have a disadvantage over people who work in large firms ie Golman Sach etc. Given that you will be competing against a lot of blue chip experienced ppl when doing interviews at HBS or Wharton. And, large firms as opposed to Harvard’s selection comittee really like to see blue chip people.

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 1,209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.