Home Forums College Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,208 replies, has 524 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 1,209 total)
  • Author

bukky
    Participant

Hi there. I’m alrady enrolled in a Uni. Does it sound kinda odd if i say i want to take SAT to see if I can get a scholarship in America? Becuz Im stuck in Thailand and it’s the only place where I could offord… but now I’m changning my plans and transferring. Maybe taking SAT will give me more chances of applying for a scholarship?? Any suggestions are welcome. Please email or post reply. Thanx

:)

spotak
    Participant

Hello
    My brother is going to be completing service in the US Army by next spring and he is researching college admissions. Prior to his military service, he complete his GED and one semester of community college. He had a very low GPA – under 2.0. He is extremely intelligent, but at that time was very undisplined. Now that he has matured and set goals for himself in life, he really wants to get into a four year program to get a bachelor’s degree. Does he have a chance of getting in anywhere? (somewhere in the state of Washington is his first choice) He has been somewhat discouraged thus far by his conversations with college admissions officers. Any advice?

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Bukky,
    In order to submit a complete application to most U.S. colleges/universities, an SAT (or ACT) score is expected. There are schools that offer scholarships to admitted students with high SAT scores. Keep in mind that the amount of these scholarships is relatively small when considering the total cost of tuition.
    Thank you for posting your question on Admissionsboards.com
    Sincerely,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Spotak,
    I would encourage your brother to demonstrate his seriousness about college by returning to a community college whose courses transfer to a university of his choice. This way, the four-year university will take confidence in his commitment to school.
    Thank you for posting your question on Admissionsboards.com
    Take care,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

awall1990
    Participant

My name is William and I’m living in Montreal and recently I rekindled a childhood dream of going to Harvard. My father graduated from there and about 5 other relatives have been as well. I am 16 years old and I am going into 11th grade. I have taken sats just to get an idea of possible entry and scored an average of 1410 (All my education has been in french and I know I could do better if I was more familiar with the math terms in english). I repported my score to a friend of my fathers who told me that that score was through the roof for someone my age and trainning. My current school is private french and I have grades that hover around 89% (top of my class). I would have much higher average if not for my french marks (anglophone taking french as a first language). What I’m asking is this, do I have a shot at getting into a school like Harvard? If not what would I need?

DesignerPHD
    Participant

My name is Reshma, I am 16 years old, and going to be a junior this upcomming fall. I know for sure that the profession I would like to get into is plastic surgery. I will be taking the SAT in October, and I am aiming high, but I am not sure how well I will do. I take as many rigourous classes as possible, including MANY AP classes. I am in various extracurricular activities, such as Pre-Med club, Yearbook, Beta Club, etc. My GPA is 3.76 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. My questions are:

1. What schools are good for plastic surgery students?
    The university I would most like to go to is New York University. 2.Would that be a good school for plastic surgery?

3. Would early admission be a good choice for me, if I do decide to got to NYU?

4. Is it possible to go to 2 different colleges during the same semester? I would like to go to the Fashion Institute of Technology to get my AAS in fashion design, to do as a part time career; but I would also like to be a full time plastic surgeon.

I know this is a lot to answer, but no one in my family has gone to college and knows the answers; I will be the first person in my family to attend a university. Thank you very much!!

soufiane
    Participant

Dear Sarah,
    I am an international prospective student from Morocco
    and I plan to take my SAT exam on november 6th, 2004.
    All documents will be sent my future university (NJIT)
    – SAT I score and TOEFL score mailed directly to njit
    – Official transcripts from my high school
    – affidavit, bank support, photocopy of photo’s page of my passeport, and letter of recommandations written and signed by my father

that’s all what njit asks to me to send. But i read in their website that upon receinving my completed application, theu determine if any supporting documents are required to complete my file

my question is: do you have an idea about what this required documents could be? Because I don’t want to waste time on waiting their post (2 or 3 weeks), I prefer send all completed documents, because I expect to be enrolled on FALL 2005.

Another question: do you think that admission consulant will consider the official transcripts, which are completly diffents from the GPA system, (transcripts are scores out of 20) ?

Best Regards,

Soufiane,

relativelynew
    Participant

Dear AdmissionsConsultants,
    I am a rising junior in a public school, and I was wondering how good my chances were for admission to Cornell in the Fall of 2006. I currently have a 3.82 unweighted GPA, have taken several AP courses, and I plan to have taken at least 12 AP courses by the time I graduate. This is a very rigorous curriculum for a student in my school. I am ranked among the top 4 in my class (of about 900). I am also involved in multiple community service projects— one of which I am directly responsible for and have attained at least 750 hours through service in this project, and I am an officer for another one. In addition to community service, I am very involved in several clubs and honor societies (one of which I will be President), and have recieved awards and recognitons for several of the clubs. I have also ventured in the world of drama by acting in two comedic productions this past school year. I speak both English and Spanish fluently and have attended a local State University to take a university-level science course. I scored very well on the Math PSAT (75), but not as well on the Verbal portion. I’ve been on Who’s Who Among American High School Students and have had poems published in A Celebration of Young Poets. Like I said before, I hope to attend Cornell. I plan on applying Early Decision. Do you think that this is a wise choice? What should I focus on to make my application stronger?

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear AWALL1990,
    Thank you for posting your question. Applying to a school like Harvard would require an application that demonstrates ways that you have excelled at school, how you are unique as an individual, and how you have thrived towards excellence in extra-curricular activities, part-time work, or anything else you have done that is important to you. Keep in mind that the SAT’s are just one of many criteria considered when the Admissions Committee reviews an application. Take a look at the essay questions of the schools application, and think about the teachers you might ask for a personal reference. If you haven’t done so already, I also encourage you to visit the school before applying, go to an informational session, attend a class, and request to meet with a representative of the admissions department to review your profile and interest in the school.
    Please consider contacting AdmissionsConsultants, inc. for more information about the services provided to students like yourself.
    Best wishes,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

bsofarelli
    Participant
    Quote:
    Originally posted by DesignerPHD

My name is Reshma, I am 16 years old, and going to be a junior this upcomming fall. I know for sure that the profession I would like to get into is plastic surgery. I will be taking the SAT in October, and I am aiming high, but I am not sure how well I will do. I take as many rigourous classes as possible, including MANY AP classes. I am in various extracurricular activities, such as Pre-Med club, Yearbook, Beta Club, etc. My GPA is 3.76 unweighted and 4.3 weighted. My questions are:

1. What schools are good for plastic surgery students?
    The university I would most like to go to is New York University. 2.Would that be a good school for plastic surgery?

3. Would early admission be a good choice for me, if I do decide to got to NYU?

4. Is it possible to go to 2 different colleges during the same semester? I would like to go to the Fashion Institute of Technology to get my AAS in fashion design, to do as a part time career; but I would also like to be a full time plastic surgeon.

I know this is a lot to answer, but no one in my family has gone to college and knows the answers; I will be the first person in my family to attend a university. Thank you very much!!

Dear Reshma,
    It is always impressive to hear about someone as focused as you are. As far as your pursuit of plastic surgery, I would recommend that you find the best premed undergraduate program for you. Think about whether reputation of the school is important, the class size, faculty availability, internship opportunities, and so on. The premed program at NYU has a premed Buddy program that may be of interest to you. Once you have narrowed your search for the right program, and only if you are committed to attending a specific school (and you are absolutely sure that it is the right school for you) then you should consider applying early decision as a means of communicating your committment to that school.
    I appreciate your interest in fashion, however, it may be difficult to pursue while completing an undergraduate degree in medicine.
    Keep in mind that AdmissionsConsultants, inc. provides assistance with your school search and applications specific to your individual needs.
    Take care,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

bsofarelli
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by soufiane

Dear Sarah,
    I am an international prospective student from Morocco
    and I plan to take my SAT exam on november 6th, 2004.
    All documents will be sent my future university (NJIT)
    – SAT I score and TOEFL score mailed directly to njit
    – Official transcripts from my high school
    – affidavit, bank support, photocopy of photo’s page of my passeport, and letter of recommandations written and signed by my father

that’s all what njit asks to me to send. But i read in their website that upon receinving my completed application, theu determine if any supporting documents are required to complete my file

my question is: do you have an idea about what this required documents could be? Because I don’t want to waste time on waiting their post (2 or 3 weeks), I prefer send all completed documents, because I expect to be enrolled on FALL 2005.

Another question: do you think that admission consulant will consider the official transcripts, which are completly diffents from the GPA system, (transcripts are scores out of 20) ?

Best Regards,

Soufiane,

Dear Soufiane,
    Bonnie Sofarelli here with a reply to your question from the perspective of an Admissions Representative. Try not to be too concerned about any additional information the university may request from you if you are certain the you have submitted all of the required documents necessary to complete your application. If it is decided that more information is needed, consider it as another opportunity to express why you are a great candidate for the school, and your commitment to the program offered there. With regards to your transcripts, if there is confusion about the scores,it is likely that the Admissions department will contact your school to better understand the scoring system and your performance there.
    Best wishes,
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Relativelynew,
    I would like to encourage you to think about why Cornell is your first choice, and why you are a good fit for a specific program offered there. Keep in mind that there are 7 colleges at Cornell. Your application to one of them must define how your achievements at school have influenced the person you are when applying. It is true that you have a very impressive profile, however, 10’s of thousands of applications are received by Cornell, so the selectivity is very high. Your best chance will be to present a killer application.
    If you are interested in one-on-one feedback on your approach to the Early Decision process and/or guidance with your college applications, I encourage you to contact AdmissionsConsultants for details of the services available to you.
    Enjoy your Junior Year!
    Bonnie Sofarelli

AdmissionsConsultants

frustrated
    Participant

Hi, I was just wondering what my chances would be of getting into NYU or USC or UCSD.. with a 3.7 unweighted gpa, officer for various clubs, commissions, and the student body, and participating in sports. I did pretty poorly on my SAT 1, so I intend to take them in the fall and hopefully raise my score a lot and I plan to take the ACT’s where I have a better chance of scoring higher. What schools would I most likely have a chance at?

-very frustrated and scared

frustrated
    Participant

also for more information I will be taking 4 ap classes for my sr year, and I have already taken a total of 7 ap/honor classes throughout my 3 years thus far.

bsofarelli
    Participant

Dear Frustrated,
    I understand how difficult it can be to pull everything together when considering what happens next after High School. Keep in mind that your chances at any college are determined by a combination of your academic history, extra-curricular activities, promise to excel within the community at school, and your overall fit there. It is true that is can be advantageous to score very well on an SAT/ACT. Do you best to prepare as well as you can for whatever test you take, whether it be through test-prep books, on-line courses, or classes offered where you live. Think about what you want to achieve in college, and then research and find the school that will allow you to reach all of your goals. It can be very frustrating! Luckily, there are many resources available to you to figure it all out. Consider contacting AdmissionsConsultants to learn more about the services available to you, including one-on-one guidance with choosing the right school, and how to prepare college applications that demonstrate your candidacy best.
    Take care,
    Bonnie

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 1,209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.