Home Forums College Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,198 replies, has 519 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,199 total)
  • Author

Luce
    Participant

Hello again,
    I was wondering if it was true that you have a better chance of getting into a certain school’s medical school if you went to the same school for your undergraduate…for instance:You would have a better chance of getting into Harvard Med because you went to Harvard for your pre-med.This will really help in knowing which schools i’ll apply to because as of now I’ve been basing mostly on how good the medical schools are. thnx in advance.

Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by Luce

Hello again,
    I was wondering if it was true that you have a better chance of getting into a certain school’s medical school if you went to the same school for your undergraduate…for instance:You would have a better chance of getting into Harvard Med because you went to Harvard for your pre-med.This will really help in knowing which schools i’ll apply to because as of now I’ve been basing mostly on how good the medical schools are. thnx in advance.

Thanks for your inquiry. You might want to post this question on the Ask Admissions Consultants thread in the medical school section.

desertprose
    Participant

Dear AdmissionsConsultants

I was hoping I could ask you some questions about entry into a top-10 b-school program.

I have recently graduated with a BSc in Chemical Engineering from Queens University in Kingston (Canada), but with a not-so-great GPA. I’ve recently written my GMAT and scored 740.

My GPA worries me as it is in the 2.6-2.8 range (don’t know how to translate percentages). However I know that my GMAT score balances this out…

My work experience is my strong point I believe, as I was fortunate enough to land a job in business development (under the title of sales representative) for a specialty chemicals company… I am covering a large geographic region (Middle East entire) and handle issues ranging from manufacturing to logistics to finance to pricing to marketing and sales. Leadership is a default as I wind up being the focal point for our operations…

In a year or two I strongly believe I would need to enhance my skill-set with an MBA from a good school. Would the experience I mentioned beforehand offset my low GPA? How valuable is BD experience to an admissions comittee?

Thanks!

Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by desertprose

Dear AdmissionsConsultants

I was hoping I could ask you some questions about entry into a top-10 b-school program.

I have recently graduated with a BSc in Chemical Engineering from Queens University in Kingston (Canada), but with a not-so-great GPA. I’ve recently written my GMAT and scored 740.

My GPA worries me as it is in the 2.6-2.8 range (don’t know how to translate percentages). However I know that my GMAT score balances this out…

My work experience is my strong point I believe, as I was fortunate enough to land a job in business development (under the title of sales representative) for a specialty chemicals company… I am covering a large geographic region (Middle East entire) and handle issues ranging from manufacturing to logistics to finance to pricing to marketing and sales. Leadership is a default as I wind up being the focal point for our operations…

In a year or two I strongly believe I would need to enhance my skill-set with an MBA from a good school. Would the experience I mentioned beforehand offset my low GPA? How valuable is BD experience to an admissions comittee?

Thanks!

Thanks for your inquiry. You should post this question on the Ask Admissions Consultants thread in the MBA section.

subtrunks
    Participant

Hello Sarah!
    I’ve been admited as an early write to Swarthmore and Williams. I’am waiting to hear from Amherst and Harvard. I’am 8 in a class of 1108. My SAT’s are (V670) (M640) (physics 700) (writing 560) (math 2c 560)
    I’am bilingual, hispanic and come from a low income household. My essays are great (thats why I think I made it to williams and swarthmore). I participated in trips to AWS. My recomendations are great also.

I just have two questions. I know my SATs are low but do I stand a chance at Harvard? I wasn’t able to be interviewed by them but a local alumn who does interviews wrote a recomendation for me. (I’ve known him for a while)

Also, Swarthmore and Williams have been the only schools that asked me to complete extra stuff for financial aid and they are the only schools that have let me in. I know they are need blind institutions but is there any correlation? I don’t think a financial office would bother to even do a package if the applicant is not admited to the school.

subby trunks

subtrunks
    Participant

By the way I’am from Miami, Florida

subby trunks

sarahernandez
    Participant

Dear Subby Trunks,

Your admission to any school depends upon several variables. One of which is the overall strength of your application. In other words, are all other components of your application strong enough to compensate for your SAT scores? Given that Williams and Swarthmore have already admitted you, it is quite possible that you will also be competitive for admission at Harvard. The likelihood that you will gain admission to Harvard will also be highly dependent upon the applicant pool this year at Harvard. The applicant pool at Harvard is always highly competitive; therefore, the admissions committee pays particularly close attention to what students will have to contribute to the Harvard community beyond their academic strengths.

My concern for you right now is that you may have placed yourself in a precarious position. From your message, I gather that you may have applied early decision to both Swarthmore and Williams Colleges. I hope this is not the case since applying to more than one school as an early decision candidate is not permitted. In addition, leaving regular decision applications active after being admitted as an early decision candidate elsewhere is also not permitted. If either of these guidelines of the early decision process are infracted upon, a student risks having all of his or her admissions decision rescinded. If you in fact applied to either Swarthmore or Williams as an early decision candidate, I encourage you to visit the “Early Decision” page on the AdmissionsConsultants web site at http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/college/earlydecision.asp for a review of the early decision guidelines.

In regards to financial aid – most schools want their admissions applicants to complete the financial aid application process by March 1 regardless if the student has gained admission to the institution. For students that have been admitted, it is a greater priority for them to complete their financial aid process ASAP. Since we are now in the last part of March, this is most likely the reason why Williams and Swarthmore are strongly requesting that you have everything in and complete ASAP. I encourage you to visit the financial aid web sites for each of these schools so that you have a complete understanding of what goes into their respective financial aid application process.

Take Care,

Sara Hernández

AdmissionsConsultants

Bigsis
    Participant

Hi! My brother has suffered from anxiety/mirgraine headaches and has been under a lot of pressure throughout high school as my parents went through a 3.5 year messy divorce process, complete with a lot of physical violence. As a result of these problems, my brother missed an extensive amount of school and (public) school officials refused to let him take AP classes after his sophomore year.

Before he went downhill, he was a straight-A student, a math prodigy who scored a 5 on BC calc as a sophomore, and was so underchallenged by highschool that he took classes at the local university in addition to his high school load. Additionally, he starred in the school play as a freshman, volunteered regularly at the local hospital, played the piano and trumpet, did art work as a hobby, was briefly an award-winning debater, a member of the tennis team, and a Student Council rep. He quit everything during the end/middle of his sophomore year.

Now, with a ton of incompletes, he is barely finishing high school. Nonetheless, he won a full-tuition scholarship to the local university due to his PSAT scores (1490ish) and would have been national merit but for his horrible school calculating the incompletes as Fs for the National merit application. When he practice tested several times, he got a 1600 each time. However, due to the insomnia and test anxiety he faces, he got only a 1470 on the actual test. His SAT IIs were similarly bad: 780 math 2c and 720s on 2 others.

My brother has not even applied to the local university yet for fear of rejection with his incompletes. However, he dreams of going to Duke, Penn, Stanford, Columbia, or Cornell (in the worst case). Does he have a chance if he finishes h.s. and does something cool this summer? Should he go to the local university and attempt to transfer? What are his chances? His personality is amazing: he’s very witty, a brilliant writer, and known as a nice person. He would definitely ace his interviews but I’m worried about how he can deal with his spotty attendance, lack of leadership after 10th grade, and (probably) sub-par GPA when and if he finishes (around 3.5-3.6). What do you make of all of this information and how do you advise dealing with my brother’s situation.

sarahernandez
    Participant

Dear Big Sis,

It seems that your brother has suffered on many levels due to your family’s challenging situation. My first suggestion is for you and your brother to seek out the assistance he will need to rebuild his confidence and deal with his insomnia, test anxiety, and fear of rejection. My second suggestion for him to pursue an opportunity this summer that will not only help him be a more competitive admissions candidate, but will allow him to do something he truly enjoys.

Your brother may want to consider applying to a couple of his top choice schools. Considering his situation, the admissions committees may be compelled to take a chance on him if they feel he has made marked personal and academic improvement from here on out. However, if your brother submits these applications he must have a clear understanding that he will be making a real reach with these schools. Therefore, he should only do this if he is ready to accept the real possibility of not being admitted.

What ever your brother decides to do regarding his top choice schools, he should definitely complete the admissions process with the local university. This will provide him with the opportunity to pursue admission to a school with little risk so he can move forward with his education…If he does well at the local university (3.5+ GPA) he should then apply as a transfer student to his top choice schools.

Please feel free to contact AdmissionsConsultants should you wish to arrange one-on-one assistance for your brother.

Take Care,

Sara

AdmissionsConsultants

janna1g
    Participant

Posted – 03/29/2004 : 10:33:45

My son will be a junior next year. He already has good SAT scores (700 verbal, 640 math as a freshman, and has taken college algebra, trig, and calc, since) He does not want to go to school in Colorado or Wyoming. Right now, I live in Colorado close to the border with Wyoming. He wants to finish high school in Wyoming, because he thinks that geographic preferences will help him get admission to the school of his choice. I would prefer that he go to school in Colorado, where we live (his dad would establish a Wyoming residence to allow him to go to school there, if it turns out to be a good idea). He is a good kid with some interesting life experiences-he is spending his sophomore year going to school in Argentina, and spent 6 months in Costa Rica in 7th grade. Some of the colleges mention diversity as a goal, and specifically mention that they have students from all states. Does the state of graduation matter? Or will he still be considered “from Wyoming” since he has lived there until he was 15? This is all new to us, since both his father and I went to the University of Wyoming, and didn’t worry about more selective colleges.

Is his assertion correct? Could graduating from high school in wyoming instead of colorado make a difference to his chances?

sarahernandez
    Participant

Dear Janna,

Many schools wish to enhance the geographic diversity represented by their students. Therefore, your son is partly correct in his assertion considering students from Wyoming are often underrepresented at many universities outside of the Rocky Mountain States. However, some universities measure geographic diversity in terms of the state a student is officially a resident while others measure it in terms of the state in which the student attends school. Consequently, there is no guarantee that your son attending school in Wyoming would enhance his applications unless he is also considered a resident of Wyoming.

What is important to remember is that the state your son attends school in is not going to be the thing that will get him admitted to a selective university. Rather than base his high school choice on the location of the school, he really should base it on which high school has the most resources and will best serve his needs. Being successful at a school that will academically challenge him while providing him with excellent extracurricular options will make the greatest difference in his admissions process.

Please feel free to contact AdmissionsConsultants should you wish to arrange one-on-one assistance for your son.

Take Care,

Sara

AdmissionsConsultants

kinddafaded
    Participant

hello sara,
    i am a female junior at an extremely rigorous boarding school in massachusetts, although i am currently attending a semester away program in new york city.

my school doesn’t award any academic awards of any sort, ad i’m having a hard time figuring out where i really stand in the college admissions process.

i haven’t gotten word from the college board as to my sat scores (i took them last week) but i took a few practices and consistantly got in the 1400 range- i’m shooting for a 1450. i haven’t taken any sat iis as of yet.

my gpa isn’t incredibly impressive- they don’t actually calculate it at my school, but i figured that it would be about a 3.0 (although i am confident that i can bring it up to about a 3.3 by the time i’m applying to college) it should be noted, however, that 4.0s are extremely rare at my school (i’ve never heard of anyone getting straight a’s, or even mostly a’s- grade inflation is virtually nonexistant) additionally, all junior and senior classes are considered honors or ap. i’ve been taking 5 majors each semester as well as multiple minors (heavy in the visual arts). this is considered a fairly heavy course load.

i have been a tri varsity sport athlete since freshman year (soccer, basketball, lacrosse) and recieved the “rising star” award (most improved) sophomore year in soccer. i will be the captain of the soccer team next year.

i started a unitarian universalist club. specifically, we raise scholarship money each year for a unitarian youth living in desfalva, an extremely poor town in transylvania.

i also participate in my unitarian youth group. we have taken week long community service trips (habitat for humanity) as well as done fundraising and discussion groups about current events.

i participate in the choir at my school and sing solos regularly. i took piano lessons for 7 year before high school, and i continue to play regularly, although i don’t officially take lessons. i also taught myself how to play the guitar to an advanced level.

i also work at a summer camp as a counseler.

sorry that this is so long- but i have fallen in love with nyu and am wondering what my chances are. i am also interested in brown, sarah lawrence college, barnard, george washington. i need to find some safeties- its so difficult, though, because i am sure that i want to be in or very near to a city, and with the popularity of cityschools soaring… i especially am in love with new york.

thanks for any advice or wisdom… what are my prospects?

tenny_2k4
    Participant

Dear Sarah,

I am 16 years old and a high-school senior at a public school in New Haven. When applying to colleges, I applied to the well-known schools: Yale, Johns Hopkins, Emory, and Columbia. Needless to say I didn’t get into any of them. I am quite dissapointed, because I have always seen my self as quite an intellectual student. I am taking MAT120 at Yale University, which is Calc III and I have been taken courses in College since I was a freshman in high school. I play soccer, basketball, and tennis, conducted a missions trip to Africa(Nigeria) where we brought computers and taught computer skills to students. I am currently running my own online Academy for teens who are looking to study philosophy. These are just some of the things I thought would help me t get into college. Even though I only have a 1200 on my SAT’s, I have fair grades in challenging courses. I consider myself to be very well read in philosophy and I am good in science(I started the physics club at my school).

Why I really need your help is that I have no college acceptances and only wait-listing at Emory.

What should I do?

tenny_2k4
    Participant

Correction: I only played basketball in junior high.

Also, how can I try and get of the waiting list for Emory? Is there anything I can do?

tenny_2k4
    Participant

Sorry to Triple Post, but could you offer me any advice on appealing my admissions descion at Johns Hopkins? Or any help at all?

Thanks so much in advance.

Tennyson

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares