Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 2,994 total)
  • Author

Hi Chris and thanks for your inquiry.

Hi, I am currently entering my junior year of college at Rollins in Winter Park, Florida. I am in a program there where I take classes at the college for 3 years, and then take classes at the affiliated business school for 2 years to receive my MBA in a total of 5 years. The dilemma that I am in is that the Crummer School of Business (Rollins affiliate) is not highly ranked, and I have the grades (3.75 GPA) to where I could be a competitive applicant to a higher-ranking business school. As it stands right now, my options appear to be: 1. Stay in the 3/2 program at Rollins and get my MBA in 5 years, 2. Stay in 3/2 program, but leave after 4th year to pursue MBA at another institution (I understand that the credits I will earn from my one year at the Rollins business school will probably not transfer), 3. Drop out of the 3/2 program altogether and take undergrad classes for 4 years, then try to go to a higher ranked business school, 4. Drop out of 3/2 program, finish my undergrad at Rollins, work for a few years, and then try to go to higher-ranking business school.

Of these four options, #4 is my least preferred, as I would rather just continue with business school straight out of college (I understand that admissions departments frown upon this, but I know myself, and think it would be hard for me to go back to school after entering the workforce). My main question is whether admissions departments would rather see a fourth year of undergrad classes, or if they would be impressed by the fact that I have already been taking classes in a Business school. Also, realistically, without much work experience (aside from my summer internships, which I hear do not hold much weight anyway) is there any top programs that would accept a student like me? Finally, if I really wanted to get my MBA directly after college, what are the top programs that accept people like me, or is it just better for me to stay in my 3/2 program at Rollins, and get my MBA in 5 years?

There are very few “yes” and “no” answers in admissions. (On a side note, it’s also the reason why knowledgeable people with MBA admissions committee experience don’t write books on business school admissions.) What I’m trying to say though is that it depends. This past year, 4% of the admitted class to HBS came straight from undergrad. If you are impressive enough and have a big enough ‘wow’ factor, you can be admitted to a top school. Most applicants, however, need at least 2 years of career progression to be acceptable to these top schools.

A 3.75 GPA is good, but it is not nearly enough to get you admitted into a top 20 school. Academic qualifications don’t carry that much weight in the admission process and, also this past year, Stanford rejected 8 out of 8 applicants with perfect 800 GMAT scores.

I don’t know you nearly enough to advise you on your best course of action. There are many things to consider. Suffice it to say that if you complete your MBA now, you won’t be able to attend another more highly-ranked MBA program later.

I’d also strongly encourage you to consider which type of career path you want to pursue and if you will get more from an MBA if you have a few years of work experience before entering the program.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my multi-part question

No problem. Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this in far more detail with one of our consultants. Several of our consultants are MBAs with impressive resumes (a former junior partner from PA consulting, a former COO from iFinance.com, etc.) and they can certainly give you expert career advice as well as customized b-school admissions tips.

Sincerely,
    Chris Hoadley

Best of luck with your decision!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    @admissionsconsultants.com">DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

stevenwm
    Participant

Regarding PhD programs (in business for the goal of teaching/researching in business- more specifically Management/OB) Is it impossible to get into a name recognized school (top 20-30) with an undergrad of around 3.3-3.5? Is it all 4.0’s who need apply?

SM

Hi SM and thanks for your follow-up inquiry.

Regarding PhD programs (in business for the goal of teaching/researching in business- more specifically Management/OB) Is it impossible to get into a name recognized school (top 20-30) with an undergrad of around 3.3-3.5? Is it all 4.0’s who need apply?

This is a little bit outside my personal area of expertise. (Business Ph.D. admissionsis more similar to non business Ph.D. admissions than MBA admissions.)

We do have a consultant in the graduate school admissions practice though who specializes in these types of applicants. The admission process is pretty tough and, while you have a chance of admission, you are going to have to be absolutely stellar in the other areas of your candidacy.

To directly answer your question though, you will see a range of GPAs admitted to these Ph.D. programs.

SM

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

kcarthic
    Participant

Hi,

1.Do univs accept paper-based LOR or they necessarily need online LORs?

2.If paper-based ones are accepted, can I take LOR now and apply in oct-2005 for fall-2006? Is that valid?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I don’t mind stretching my schedule and answering posts on the weekends as well as evenings, mornings, and weekdays to help others and offer a glimpse of the expertise we provide to our clients. However, I believe this is the 4th or 5th question you have asked me here.

We do offer letter of reference assistance and I will be glad to assign you to a consultant who can provide you with a detailed action plan that includes LOR strategy to ensure you are optimally positioned for your future applications.

For the record, our consultants are far more knowledgeable about the admissions process than yours truly. I don’t do any billable work; I simply run the administrative end of the company. Our consultants, on the other hand, spend their full time helping applicants such as yourself and it makes them very, very good at what they do.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

arunfutureapplicant
    Participant

Hi,

This site and particularly this thread has been very helpful. I have some questions that are close to those asked by others, but there are some variations which I’m not sure make a difference. So, here goes … :-)

Questions:
    – What are the pros/cons of working for a relative, father, with respect to MBA admissions?
    – Would it hurt or help to have a recommendation from my father? I can definitely get several recommendations from others, but I don’t want to make it appear that I’m ashamed of working for my father.
    – I’m not sure if this affects me or not, but what are some ways to avoid the professional student/degree collector appearance?
    – Does my Indian heritage leave me at a distinct disadvantage?
    – What are some ways to mitigate a lackluster GPA?
    – Would it help to have external organizational endorsement such as that from the US Small Business Administration (SBA)?
    – What parts of the application do you recommend that I use a consulting service and, if I do consult, what is the typical level of commitment in terms of time?

Thanks a lot for any help! I am trying to get an idea of what it will take to business school [if I do decide to go it will be to the top California schools]. I’m sorry for so many questions and long post, but I need to get an idea if this is really worth it for me. Again, I appreciate any and all help you provide .

My background:
    I was born in India and became a naturalized US citizen
    . I am currently 27 years old. My BS and MS degrees were completed at William & Mary (W&M):

BS Physics: 3.0 GPA
    MS Computer Science: 3.9 GPA

Initially, I had no interest whatsoever in business. My BS degree was a mix of hard science, art, and sociology. Even though I was designated as a scholar, I just didn’t take my classes as seriously as I should have for several semesters. I was more interested in extracurricular activities such as being an officer of a few cultural associations. Eventually, I shaped up and ended up on the Dean’s List in the final semester, even though I had a challenging set of hard science courses. I worked for my university from my sophomore thru senior year to pay for my education. In my senior year, I and a faculty member were the sole IT support for the School of Education faculty.

I paid for my CS degree through a NASA grant which also paid for my stipend as a graduate research assistant. Although it’s mostly true that graduate programs have grade inflation, I took my classes very seriously, especially since my undergrad GPA was rather lackluster. In my first year, my homework for a CS class became the subject of a refereed journal paper.

After my CS degree, I joined my father’s engineering firm. I worked on data analysis projects for high-profile customers. I felt I needed an academically supervised engineering experience, so I took a few classes at the aeronautics department at NC State U. The university offered to make me a Dean’s Scholar and they eventually paid for my tuition. My stipend was paid through a NASA grant which allowed me to conduct research on a Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV), a hot topic right now in the aeronautics world.

After gaining the experience I needed, I returned to my father’s engineering firm. I continued to perform data analysis for various clients, but this time I had a much better idea what the customer wanted. Through my focused presentations to clients, the firm was better able to secure substantially more funding from clients such as NASA, Air Force, and Navy, and from various major aeronautics industry partners.

Meanwhile, I took classes in accounting and microeconomics class at W&M and did very well. I felt that in order to complement my father’s experience, I needed to develop not just the technical strength but the business strength. I became fully involved in all aspects of my father’s business. Eventually, I relocated to Southern California to do a 1 year detail at a customer site, NASA. The detail led to a joint effort between NASA and our firm. As a preliminary result of the effort, I have co-written a paper with a NASA Chief Engineer to be presented at a AIAA conference.

In addition to the engineering aspects, my work entailed various forms of marketing and business plan development. I utilized the resources and helpful staff at the NASA Commercialization Center to develop the preliminary business plan with initial market analysis for most of our products. Through this effort, the center has been able to match our company with potential licensees. As a result of this introduction and further marketing presentations, several large multinational corporations are currently in negotiations with our engineering firm for commercializing our products. This is where I am now, 4 years after my MS degree; negotiating with large industries without any a priori business experience.

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, this is a very long thread and, yes, I did just skim it. All of this, though, could be adequately covered within an initial one-hour consultation.

Your grades are not a problem as long as your GMAT score is respectable and your family business background can work to your favor if properly spun. It can also be a good point for diversity. (Do not believe the pervasive urban legend about the need for ‘blue chip’ experience. We often see in our ding analyses that the family-business applicants tried to follow the same generic strategies that are more geared towards the ‘blue chip’ applicants.)

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

vmisra
    Participant

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your guidance in this forum. It is very helpful.
    I am 27 yrs old, female, Indian. I am seriously considering applying for Fall 2005 sessions – hence my applications begin Fall 2004. I am targeting applying in Round 1 for most colleges. I needed your feedback on my strengths and weaknesses and what chances do I have.

My choice of schools:
    · Wharton
    · Kellogg
    · Cornell
    · UCLA
    · Insead
    · IMD

GMAT score: 710 (95 percentile) Q = 48 (86 percentile) V= 40 (91 percentile). AWA = 4.0

Educational qualifications:
    · Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics, Economics and Statistics.
    · Post graduate Diploma in Management from an esteemed institute in marketing (2000)

Work ex: 4 years. By the time I join, 5 years.

· Consumer Insights and Marketing research: Worked with an MNC marketing research firm for 2.5 years. My role was Consulting Marketing organizations in developing strategies based on consumer insights. Independent business handling and development across a wide spectrum of industries – FMCG, NGO’s, automobiles, real estate, paints, restaurant chains etc. Have worked on some big brands from Nestle, Hyundai, Domino’s etc. Sphere of work across all marketing areas – product, pricing, advertising, category understanding, demand estimation, brand equity. Leadership qualities: led a team of 4 executives and was responsible for 30% of the branch’s turnover. The best performer at my level.
    · Consultancy: Am currently working with a reputed MNC consultancy (features in top 10 consultancies worldwide) for the past 1.5 years. My role is focused on consulting organizations in Business Strategy/Planning and Indian Consumer behavior for Consumer packaged goods and Retail services. Includes conceptualization and development of all consumer behavior led products in the firm. Leadership: head the Consumer insights division with independent business development and client handling. Responsible for 10% of the firm’s turnover. Am expecting a promotion to senior Consultant by end of this year. Excellent client relations.
    · In addition, am the firm’s spokesperson for Consumer Behavior led issues. Have been quoted in many International and Indian publications and TV programs– The Economist, German and French magazines.

Extra Curricular

· Am a President award (highest level) winner Girl Guide in Grade 10 (not very recent). Undertook social activities like sanitation in villages etc.
    · Raised Euro 10,000 in a European staff meeting in 2003 for ‘Balwadi’-an institution for deprived children.
    · Adventurous sports – rafting, mountaineering, trekking.

My questions:
    – What are my chances of clearing the top 10 schools? Is my profile differentiated?
    – Is my GMAT score adequate given that my demographic is known to score higher?
    – I have not had any international work experience – though worked on business strategy for international players to enter India. Do you think this is a weakness?
    – Are my extra curricular activities weak?

My post MBA goals are to continue consultancy in consumer behavior and branding areas.

Anxiously waitng for your response. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your guidance in this forum. It is very helpful.
    I am 27 yrs old, female, Indian. I am seriously considering applying for Fall 2005 sessions – hence my applications begin Fall 2004. I am targeting applying in Round 1 for most colleges. I needed your feedback on my strengths and weaknesses and what chances do I have.

Applying in round 1 is almost always the best way to proceed.

My choice of schools:
    • Wharton
    • Kellogg
    • Cornell
    • UCLA
    • Insead
    • IMD

GMAT score: 710 (95 percentile) Q = 48 (86 percentile) V= 40 (91 percentile). AWA = 4.0

Educational qualifications:
    • Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics, Economics and Statistics.
    • Post graduate Diploma in Management from an esteemed institute in marketing (2000)

You’ll need to adequately explain why you need an MBA.

Work ex: 4 years. By the time I join, 5 years.

• Consumer Insights and Marketing research: Worked with an MNC marketing research firm for 2.5 years. My role was Consulting Marketing organizations in developing strategies based on consumer insights. Independent business handling and development across a wide spectrum of industries – FMCG, NGO’s, automobiles, real estate, paints, restaurant chains etc. Have worked on some big brands from Nestle, Hyundai, Domino’s etc. Sphere of work across all marketing areas – product, pricing, advertising, category understanding, demand estimation, brand equity. Leadership qualities: led a team of 4 executives and was responsible for 30% of the branch’s turnover. The best performer at my level.
    • Consultancy: Am currently working with a reputed MNC consultancy (features in top 10 consultancies worldwide) for the past 1.5 years. My role is focused on consulting organizations in Business Strategy/Planning and Indian Consumer behavior for Consumer packaged goods and Retail services. Includes conceptualization and development of all consumer behavior led products in the firm. Leadership: head the Consumer insights division with independent business development and client handling. Responsible for 10% of the firm’s turnover. Am expecting a promotion to senior Consultant by end of this year. Excellent client relations.
    • In addition, am the firm’s spokesperson for Consumer Behavior led issues. Have been quoted in many International and Indian publications and TV programs– The Economist, German and French magazines.

I skimmed this, but it appears good.

Extra Curricular

• Am a President award (highest level) winner Girl Guide in Grade 10 (not very recent). Undertook social activities like sanitation in villages etc.
    • Raised Euro 10,000 in a European staff meeting in 2003 for ‘Balwadi’-an institution for deprived children.
    • Adventurous sports – rafting, mountaineering, trekking.

My questions:
    – What are my chances of clearing the top 10 schools? Is my profile differentiated?
    – Is my GMAT score adequate given that my demographic is known to score higher?
    – I have not had any international work experience – though worked on business strategy for international players to enter India. Do you think this is a weakness?
    – Are my extra curricular activities weak?

My post MBA goals are to continue consultancy in consumer behavior and branding areas.

Anxiously waitng for your response. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post

First of all, I’ll be glad to assign you to a consultant who, over the course of a one-hour telephony session can cover this and much more in great detail. The consultants spend their full time assisting applicants while yours truly spends his full time running the administrative side of the company. I share part of what I know here, but the consultants know far more than me and they will share all of it with you.

With the lack of international experience, the marketing diploma, and the less-than-stellar extracurriculars, you are going to be a stretch at a top 10 US school. Your chances appear to be better at the top European MBA programs. Again, we do consider far more information than was presented here when assessing applicant’s chances.

If you feel you can boost your GMAT score by at least 30 points, then retake the test. Otherwise, stay put with your current score. Feel free to peruse our GMAT prep section at http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/gmat/

Yes, your extracurriculars are a bit weak.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

I’ve noticed several emails from our consultants informing me of waitlist movements. If you are still on a waitlist, this may be the news you have been waiting for. Over just the past few days, UT Austin, Cornell, CMU, and Indiana, amongst others, have been admitting applicants off their waitlists.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

AnnaBanana
    Participant

Hi David,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question. I’m just wondering what my chances are of getting into Babson’s part-time program. I scored 50 points below their GMAT average (this is my main concern), I have a 3.4 in Art History from a top 25 school, and I have excellent work experience in politics, worked on Capitol Hill and then lobbied for a few years. My quantitative background is not strong b/c I didn’t major in a business related area and my GMAT score is average. I do feel that I have unique work experience and I played that off very well in my essays. However, I’m thinking my chances are still not very good b/c of the GMAT score. What’s your take?

Hi David,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question. I’m just wondering what my chances are of getting into Babson’s part-time program. I scored 50 points below their GMAT average (this is my main concern), I have a 3.4 in Art History from a top 25 school, and I have excellent work experience in politics, worked on Capitol Hill and then lobbied for a few years. My quantitative background is not strong b/c I didn’t major in a business related area and my GMAT score is average. I do feel that I have unique work experience and I played that off very well in my essays. However, I’m thinking my chances are still not very good b/c of the GMAT score. What’s your take?

It is not uncommon for applicants with GMAT scores 50 points below the median to be admitted. If you have a very well-prepared application and if there is a good balance between your quant and verbal scores, you should be fine. If, on the other hand, your verbal percentile is very high and the quant percentile is very low, then you will likely need to retake the GMAT or build an alternate transcript.

Best of luck with your Babson application and don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

AnnaBanana
    Participant

Hi David,

Thanks for answering my question. I have one last question I hope you don’t mind answering.

I have submitted all my app. materials to Babson. They will be posting their decisions on-line on July 15. Babson has asked for 2 professional recs. I have worked at three different organizations.

1)Office of a Member of Congress in Washington DC
    2)A Committee with the US House of Representatives
    3) A Lobbying organization

I have submitted 2 recs. from the 1st organization, one is from the Member of Congress himself and the 2nd is from one of his staff members who I worked closely with. I could easily get a 3rd/extra rec. from my boss at the 2nd organization (the Committtee) but it wouldn’t arrive at Babson for another few weeks.

Should I ask the Babson Admissions committee to wait to review my app. until they get the 3rd rec.? I’m afraid the longer I wait, the fewer seats they will have. Do you think the 3rd rec. would make a huge difference or should I ask them to go ahead and review my app. right away?

Hi and thanks for your follow-up inquiry.

Hi David,

Thanks for answering my question. I have one last question I hope you don’t mind answering.

I have submitted all my app. materials to Babson. They will be posting their decisions on-line on July 15. Babson has asked for 2 professional recs. I have worked at three different organizations.

1)Office of a Member of Congress in Washington DC
    2)A Committee with the US House of Representatives
    3) A Lobbying organization

I have submitted 2 recs. from the 1st organization, one is from the Member of Congress himself and the 2nd is from one of his staff members who I worked closely with. I could easily get a 3rd/extra rec. from my boss at the 2nd organization (the Committtee) but it wouldn’t arrive at Babson for another few weeks.

Should I ask the Babson Admissions committee to wait to review my app. until they get the 3rd rec.? I’m afraid the longer I wait, the fewer seats they will have. Do you think the 3rd rec. would make a huge difference or should I ask them to go ahead and review my app. right away?

There are several things that have to be considered here including your application story and what the first two recommenders said about you. But, as a general rule of thumb, I wouldn’t encourage applicants to ask an admissions committee to wait, particularly with the notification deadline so close to the date you anticipate them receiving the third letter of reference.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

swx2
    Participant

dear david,
    I applied to LBS, i got interviewed and finally got this letter.
    Do you think I have good chance re-applying or they simply send the same rejection letter to every one ?
    thank for your help.

Regards,

swx

LETTER:
    Dear Swx,

Thank you for submitting your application for a place on
    the Full-time MBA Programme at London Business School
    commencing in September 2004 (MBA 2006).

Following your interview, members of the Admissions
    Committee have carefully considered your application
    and it is with regret that I have to inform you that we
    are not able to offer you a place on the MBA Programme
    this year.

However, the Committee has asked me to advise you that
    they would welcome a re-application from you in the
    future.

The Committee only specifically asks a very small number
    of candidates to reapply in this way. They feel that
    you show great promise of being a great London Business
    School candidate in the future. Students on our MBA
    Programme are required to contribute to all classes
    using their work experience. They also spend a lot of
    time collaborating and learning from each other whilst
    on the course.

In reaching this decision the MBA Admissions Committee
    has asked me to advise you that their current decision
    is final and confidential. Therefore, no appeals can
    be considered. Although we are unable to enter into
    detailed individual feedback, we would be happy to
    discuss timings for reapplication.

We are very sorry to have had to disappoint you, but
    hope to hear from you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

MBA Marketing & Admissions Team
    London Business School

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 2,994 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.