Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 2,994 total)
  • Author

Hello David,
    I applied to Berkeley and got into the late application deadline by March 1st – and I haven’t heard from them yet. They’re supposed to get back to us by June 1st (it’s May 6th right now), and I’m wondering if I should send them a letter reaffirming my interest and letting them know about a promotion I was given a couple of weeks after applying.

Who do I address the letter to? I don’t know the names of any of the people involved in the admissions process, all I know is the name of the admissions director and the name of the director of the program, but it seems inappropiate/irrelevant to send it to them. Would an additional letter even be read? Should I also call them?

Any ideas? Also is there anything else I should include in my letter? I’m also taking a stats course to fulfill Berkeley’s pre-requisite requirements, but not sure how to spin that into the letter, or if it’s even relevant.

Thanks!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Hello David,
    I applied to Berkeley and got into the late application deadline by March 1st – and I haven’t heard from them yet. They’re supposed to get back to us by June 1st (it’s May 6th right now), and I’m wondering if I should send them a letter reaffirming my interest and letting them know about a promotion I was given a couple of weeks after applying.

Who do I address the letter to? I don’t know the names of any of the people involved in the admissions process, all I know is the name of the admissions director and the name of the director of the program, but it seems inappropiate/irrelevant to send it to them. Would an additional letter even be read? Should I also call them?

Any ideas? Also is there anything else I should include in my letter? I’m also taking a stats course to fulfill Berkeley’s pre-requisite requirements, but not sure how to spin that into the letter, or if it’s even relevant.

Good question. Actually, I would do nothing if I were you. For the most part, once your application is submitted that’s it. The proverbial ball is in the admissions committee’s court.

Often times, applicants who are too persistent are labeled PITAs (pains in the a–). The only exception to this rule is if something very significant has happened. I’m not honestly quite sure if your promotion would count as being that significant and it could raise red flags that you are not aware of what is happening at your employer, i.e. most promotions do not come as surprises.

Thanks!

No problem. [:)]

Best of luck with your Haas application!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

rgeislerchipsi
    Participant

I am planning on submitting an application to the Langone Program at NYU Stern in the next few days, and I stumbled upon this site and was wondering if you could help assess my chances. I graduated in 2000 from a top 15 Liberal Arts college, with a GPA of 3.0, however my grades greatly improved over senior year going from a 2.75 (which was typical range of my GPA over the previous 3 years) to the 3.0 in one year. I know an upward grade trend is beneficial, but is that dramatic rise in one year still a good story?
    For work experience, I have been employed in the asset management division of a large conglomerate since graduating college, however due to my low GPA I started as a financial representative in their call center (got my NASD series 24, 7, and 63) and was promoted within a year to a position in the Operations department, in that position I led a large project, which I detailed in my essay #2, and I am now in a senior operations position. However, does starting in a call center hamper my application?
    Finally, my GMAT score was a 690, with verbal being higher than math, and I have good recs from my direct boss and my one over boss the CIO of my division.
    I would like to know your thoughts on my chances to get into the Langone program because I would like to start an MBA program this fall, and I have not yet applied to any other schools. Also, I would like to get your thoughts on the MBA part-time program at UCONN Stamford, since that would probably serve as my back-up due to it’s proximity.
    Thanks! Your advice on the other questions I’ve reviewed is great!

I am planning on submitting an application to the Langone Program at NYU Stern in the next few days, and I stumbled upon this site and was wondering if you could help assess my chances. I graduated in 2000 from a top 15 Liberal Arts college, with a GPA of 3.0, however my grades greatly improved over senior year going from a 2.75 (which was typical range of my GPA over the previous 3 years) to the 3.0 in one year. I know an upward grade trend is beneficial, but is that dramatic rise in one year still a good story?

One year may not be enough time. It really depends on your whole story and how well you spin this particular theme. Chances are an alternate transcript would be beneficial.

For work experience, I have been employed in the asset management division of a large conglomerate since graduating college, however due to my low GPA I started as a financial representative in their call center (got my NASD series 24, 7, and 63) and was promoted within a year to a position in the Operations department, in that position I led a large project, which I detailed in my essay #2, and I am now in a senior operations position. However, does starting in a call center hamper my application?

No. It’s where you finish, not where you start. We’ve helped applicants gain admission to top 10 b-schools from lower starts than that. (I was about to give two examples our consultants shared with me, but I think it could possibly compromise the clients’ privacies.)

Finally, my GMAT score was a 690, with verbal being higher than math, and I have good recs from my direct boss and my one over boss the CIO of my division.
    I would like to know your thoughts on my chances to get into the Langone program because I would like to start an MBA program this fall, and I have not yet applied to any other schools. Also, I would like to get your thoughts on the MBA part-time program at UCONN Stamford, since that would probably serve as my back-up due to it’s proximity.

UCONN is a good program. I’m not going to say anything negative about it. It’s not at quite the same level as Langone and, depending on your future ambitions, it may behoove you to wait and reapply to Langone if necessary.

Thanks! Your advice on the other questions I’ve reviewed is great!

No problem. Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like one of our expert consultants to spend a little bit of time reviewing the application before it is submitted. We offer a very quick turnaround time and we have a few full-time consultants who can take care of this for you. (By the way, I haven’t worked with a client in years. My job is to simply run the company, i.e. payroll, website, emails, phone inquiries, etc. Our full-time consultants literally spend their full time helping applicants and they are extremely knowledgeable.)

Best of luck with your Langone application!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

tom44
    Participant

Hi, I was wondering how much weight b-schools give to applicants with pre-college work experience. By this I mean that I started working for an engineering firm when I was a sophmore in highschool, and worked there 4 years till my sophmore year in college. The projects I worked there where quite advanced high end systems(which I won’t get into detail). Since then I have worked as an independent consultant, and will graduate in december with a computer science degree. I have already taken the GMAT and scored 690 on it, however I will probably only finish with a 2.8 GPA, and I only attended a local state university. I already have a job lined up at a software company when I graduate. I am wondering given my experience how long should I wait till I apply to a b-school?

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering how much weight b-schools give to applicants with pre-college work experience. By this I mean that I started working for an engineering firm when I was a sophmore in highschool, and worked there 4 years till my sophmore year in college. The projects I worked there where quite advanced high end systems(which I won’t get into detail). Since then I have worked as an independent consultant, and will graduate in december with a computer science degree. I have already taken the GMAT and scored 690 on it, however I will probably only finish with a 2.8 GPA, and I only attended a local state university. I already have a job lined up at a software company when I graduate. I am wondering given my experience how long should I wait till I apply to a b-school?

Good question. It’s not normally counted as heavily as post bachelor’s degree work experience, but it still helps. Since the admissions committees care far more about the ‘quality’ of your work experience than they do about the quantity, you might be in pretty good shape right now. There is a clear trend/preference towards younger applicants and, quite simply, you should apply to b-school when you feel ready. You will likely need to build a short, smart alternate transcript, perhaps gain a workplace promotion, and demonstrate that you have thoroughly introspected on the post-MBA career choices.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to schedule a pre admissions consultation. Your assigned consultant can draw up a personalized and detailed action plan to ensure you are optimally positioned for your b-school applications in the least amount of time.

Thanks

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

cabrio
    Participant

hi – i applied to nyu’s langone program and i was wondering if anyone knows when the notifications will be available – the deadline is not until may 15th – but the application says that the applications are read on a rolling basis – thanks !

hi – i applied to nyu’s langone program and i was wondering if anyone knows when the notifications will be available – the deadline is not until may 15th – but the application says that the applications are read on a rolling basis – thanks !

I believe notifications have been going out for Langone. (Disclaimer: I am the administrative guy in our company. Our consultants are far more knowledgeable than yours truly and they’re the ones who work with clients and keep me in the loop regarding admissions trends, notification dates, etc.)

The only thing I can tell you is to sit tight. (Yes, this is admittedly much easier said than done.) The timing of the notification – within admission rounds that is – will not influence your chances. In other words, your chances of receiving an offer are as good if the decision is sent on May 15 as it would be if the decision had been sent earlier this round.

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

cabrio
    Participant

really ??? – does anyone know when the “cutoff” was for the rounds ? – i sent my application in mid-march – and i am dying to hear back – has anyone heard yet ??

thanks for the quick reply !

quote:

Originally posted by AdmissionsConsultants

I believe notifications have been going out for Langone. (Disclaimer: I am the administrative guy in our company. Our consultants are far more knowledgeable than yours truly and they’re the ones who work with clients and keep me in the loop regarding admissions trends, notification dates, etc.)

The only thing I can tell you is to sit tight. (Yes, this is admittedly much easier said than done.) The timing of the notification – within admission rounds that is – will not influence your chances. In other words, your chances of receiving an offer are as good if the decision is sent on May 15 as it would be if the decision had been sent earlier this round.

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

NYU Langone has a rolling basis admissions deadline. They normally notify applicants in about 2 months after receiving the complete application. You should be hearing from them soon.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

checkthisid
    Participant

Hi David:

I am targeting top B-schools in the fall 2005 application season with particular interest in Insead, Wharton, Stanford, MIT and Harvard.

My background
    Masters in Business Management, Sardar Patel University, India
    GPA: 2.59 (3.4 being the topper’s GPA that year)

Bachelors in Civil Engineering, Sardar Patel University, India
    GPA: 8.27/10.0 (Distinction, ranked among top 15 students in a batch of more than 120 students)

I joined MBA school straight out of engineering college as there was no requirement for work experience.

Work experience:
    After MBA, I worked as Marketing executive for around 2years in India with a modular furniture marketing company. Thereafter I joined a software house in their marketing team. After serving for a year, I was transferred to their UK office and now I work as account manager.

In my role as account manager, I got an opportunity to associate with one of the leading private banks in UK and helped them with their IT integration project. The project was arguably the largest IT integration project of Europe.

I have been working in UK for 2 years now which gives me a total work experience of 5years. By the time I will apply for B-schools, I will have more than 6 years of work experience (including 3 years of international exposure).

Extracurricular acivities:
    I was instrumental in starting student Wall Magazine in my engineering college.

Worked for National Social Services in Engineering College creating awareness about need for environment protection.

Served as student representative in placement committe of MBA college. In this capacity, I was very closely associated with design, presentation and printing of placement brochure. I was also involved in shortlisiting of potential employers, preparing sales pitch and co-ordinating placement presentations.

These days I am mostly into charity races and have also participated in London Marathon for the cause of underprivledged children.

I feel a great need for going back to B-school to put into perspective what I have experienced in my professional career and learn new concepts. My earlier MBA was not able to do that because of my lack of any work experience.
    Also I hope that MBA from a reputed school will open doors for better opportunities.

My first preference is Insead as I consider their course duration right enough to suit my need.

Do I really stand a chance? What should be the GMAT score I should target at to compensate my not so impressive academic record.
    What else can I do to improve my candidacy?

Thanks & Regards,
    RK

Hi RK and thanks for your inquiry.

Hi David:

I am targeting top B-schools in the fall 2005 application season with particular interest in Insead, Wharton, Stanford, MIT and Harvard.

My background
    Masters in Business Management, Sardar Patel University, India
    GPA: 2.59 (3.4 being the topper’s GPA that year)

Bachelors in Civil Engineering, Sardar Patel University, India
    GPA: 8.27/10.0 (Distinction, ranked among top 15 students in a batch of more than 120 students)

I joined MBA school straight out of engineering college as there was no requirement for work experience.

Work experience:
    After MBA, I worked as Marketing executive for around 2years in India with a modular furniture marketing company. Thereafter I joined a software house in their marketing team. After serving for a year, I was transferred to their UK office and now I work as account manager.

In my role as account manager, I got an opportunity to associate with one of the leading private banks in UK and helped them with their IT integration project. The project was arguably the largest IT integration project of Europe.

I have been working in UK for 2 years now which gives me a total work experience of 5years. By the time I will apply for B-schools, I will have more than 6 years of work experience (including 3 years of international exposure).

Extracurricular acivities:
    I was instrumental in starting student Wall Magazine in my engineering college.

Worked for National Social Services in Engineering College creating awareness about need for environment protection.

Served as student representative in placement committe of MBA college. In this capacity, I was very closely associated with design, presentation and printing of placement brochure. I was also involved in shortlisiting of potential employers, preparing sales pitch and co-ordinating placement presentations.

These days I am mostly into charity races and have also participated in London Marathon for the cause of underprivledged children.

I feel a great need for going back to B-school to put into perspective what I have experienced in my professional career and learn new concepts. My earlier MBA was not able to do that because of my lack of any work experience.
    Also I hope that MBA from a reputed school will open doors for better opportunities.

My first preference is Insead as I consider their course duration right enough to suit my need.

Do I really stand a chance? What should be the GMAT score I should target at to compensate my not so impressive academic record.
    What else can I do to improve my candidacy?

You come from a very competitive applicant pool and, when combined with your academic performance, you’ll need a very high score. You can feel free to review our GMAT test prep section for extra study help. Just how high depends on how good a story you spin and how much ‘wow’ factor is uncovered.

You already have an MBA degree (or its rough equivalent) and this will need to be addressed. Your IT background will make it even more difficult to differentiate your candidacy given your demographic. The big European integration project is nice, but the admissions committees will care far more about your role in that project than the project itself. Your extracurriculars seem OK.

I’ll be glad to assign you to a consultant who can take the time to go through all of this in more detail and ask you for additional follow up material as appropriate. S/he can give you a detailed assessment and help you develop a detailed action plan to either: (1) delay starting your application to work further on positioning or (2) get you ready for the release of the new applications this summer and fall. We currently have consultants who are accepting new clients with US as well as European b-school admissions committee experience.

From my quick assessment, I think you’ll be a far stretch at a top 5 US school, but I think with well-prepared applications, you could be competitive at the top European schools.

Thanks & Regards,
    RK

Best of luck with your applications!

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

checkthisid
    Participant

Thanks David for such a quick and insightful response. I am really impressed.

I appreciate the concerns shown by you with regards to my candidacy for top B-schools in US and would like to have a detailed chat with one of your consultant some time soon.

Could you please let me know your mode of operation with international clients (I am based in UK).

Regards,
    RK

Hi RK and thanks for your follow-up inquiry.

Thanks David for such a quick and insightful response. I am really impressed.

I appreciate the concerns shown by you with regards to my candidacy for top B-schools in US and would like to have a detailed chat with one of your consultant some time soon.

Could you please let me know your mode of operation with international clients (I am based in UK).

We do work with international clients and we would probably assign you to a full-time consultant since they would have the most time available to talk and, hence, make scheduling a telephone consultation much easier. (All of our consultants keep evening and weekend hours.) The other benefit of a full-time consultant is that these men and women literally spend their full time working with applicants while yours truly answers emails, maintains the admissionsconsultants.com website, etc. As a result of both the time they spend helping applicants, their qualifications, and our strong pool of internal knowledge, they are really the best at what they do.

We are proud to say we only require a minimum one hour payment to retain our services and you will get a full hour of consultation – as opposed to a high-pressure sales pitch found during so-called ‘free initial consultations’. Furthermore, we will let you deduct the cost of the first hour ($125) from a fixed-fee multiple application package should you decide to pursue a Silver, Gold, or Platinum Package this fall. You will also have the option of retaining our services on an hourly basis as well if you prefer hourly to fixed-fee billings.

You can go right to our payment page and make a one hour payment to get started. In addition to checks sent via postal mail, you can also call us to make a credit card payment over the phone. We look forward to working with you soon!

Regards,
    RK

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

PCMBA
    Participant

David,

I have gone through the mailing lists. Your responses are quiet informative.

After reading through some of posts in this forum, i guess have all the odds against me to pursue an MBA from either a top 5 or top 10 business school.

BACKGROUND.

I am from Indian Origin with a bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering (GPA 3.6-3.7, 70% First Class) from a ranked Engineering school in India. I have dual masters, M.S(Computer Science, GPA 3.55 ~ 3.6) and M.S (Computer Engineering, GPA 3.45 ~ 3.5) from one of the best egnieering schools in USA (school near Duke).

I have worked in a networking company for 6 months. Then while attending the second graduate program , i worked as a graduate research assistant for 2 years in a non-profit research organization which is run by DARPA (Can i count this as my work experience ?. I used to work 20 hours a week). I have also interned for 3 months in a small company in Boston. Now from August 2003, I am working for a big Telecom service provider in New Jersey as a consultant. I guess you can classify me as IT consultant, even though i work designing networks and developing network solutions.

I want to be in Senior Management position in IT down the line in my career.I feel that I have good technical expertise and knowledge and
    would like to have MBA degree to attain skills to manage people, take risks and be effective in taking challenges and setting new trends and direction.

I am 26 now and plan to apply in 2006 or 2007. Do you this think that would be the right time ?. (2007, because i have read on columbia school web-site that average experience of students entering their program is 4 years).

I used to participate in several extra-circular activities unitl 10 grade, but none after that. I was a member of National Cadet Cops.

My initial target is to get into either top 5 or top 10 business schools . Do you think i have a fair shot ?. If not what schools i should target ? I am very determined to get MBA from a very good school, but at the same i want to be realistic.

Do you think do i have a special “wow” factor i can make, provided the above back-ground. How much role does the demographic factor (being from Indian Origin) and IT will play in my admission?

I really appreciate your time and help.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 2,994 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.