Home Forums Law School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 601 replies, has 268 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 602 total)
  • Author

A few years ago, I went back to get a new degree in elementary ed and got a 4.0. However, my LSDAS GPA shows a 2.7 due to different priorities when I earned my first degree. Is this going to forever sink my chances of getting into a top law school even if I get a high LSAT?

Hi Stacy and thanks for your inquiry.

Given your strong finish and gap, the earlier transcript records are a bit more forgivable. With well-prepared applications to accompany a high LSAT score, you should be competitive at the lower tier ABA accredited law schools. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you would like to discuss your candidacy in more detail.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

Rotoleg
    Participant

I’ve taken several cracks at the LSAT and haven’t been able to crack 140. Should I just give up?

I’ve taken several cracks at the LSAT and haven’t been able to crack 140. Should I just give up?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

We’re never keen on advocating giving up. However, unless you are confident you can boost your LSAT score, your admissions chances are going to be quite slight. Do you feel you may suffer from anxiety? Would you benefit from a course or tutor? Do you have any cause for accommodations? These are questions we’d encourage you to consider before throwing in the towel.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

tmorrison92
    Participant

University of Michigan dropped from 10 to 11. Do you think that dropping below the top 10 threshold will make it easier to get in and do you believe it will likely rebound in next year’s rankings?

University of Michigan dropped from 10 to 11. Do you think that dropping below the top 10 threshold will make it easier to get in and do you believe it will likely rebound in next year’s rankings?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Good question. I don’t believe it’s going to make any measurable difference in the number of applications Michigan receives and I do believe there is an excellent chance Michigan is in the top 10 again next year. The “threshold” to watch for top-ranked law schools is that they remain in the top 14 and I believe Michigan will remain in the T14 for the foreseeable future.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Ed Ho
    Participant

I’ve been waitlisted at all 5 schools I applied to. What should I do next? Is there any hope to start this fall?

I’ve been waitlisted at all 5 schools I applied to. What should I do next? Is there any hope to start this fall?

Hi Ed and thanks for your inquiry.

There will likely be movement on most law school wait lists as no one wants an oversubscribed class. The key is to promptly reply to the schools, reiterate your sincere interest in their program, update them on anything that may have happened since you submitted your application and address the areas of concern that resulted in the wait list in stead of an outright acceptance.

Please don’t hesitate to call us if you want help with the wait list process.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Ricardo
    Participant

I attended three different schools before completing my degree in government. I was a 3.8 at community college (first year), 3.5 at the second school my sophomore year and then a 3.8 at my last school my junior and senior years. I feel I can explain I had a sick single mom to care for my first two years before my younger sister was able to care for her without as much of my help. Is this lack of transcript continuity going to hurt my chances?

I attended three different schools before completing my degree in government. I was a 3.8 at community college (first year), 3.5 at the second school my sophomore year and then a 3.8 at my last school my junior and senior years. I feel I can explain I had a sick single mom to care for my first two years before my younger sister was able to care for her without as much of my help. Is this lack of transcript continuity going to hurt my chances?

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Your grades seem pretty consistent (and high!) across the three schools, so any concerns about your transcript continuity should be rather easy to mitigate in a well-prepared application.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Ricardo
    Participant

Thanks David. I’ll definitely call you if I decide to apply.

Mark Oh
    Participant

I have 2 questions.

Will it make a big difference if I take the LSAT in December instead of October? How much will it hurt me if a lot of the classes I take my senior year are 100 level instead of 400 level?

Thanks!

Hi Mark and thanks for your inquiry.

If you’re targeting the top law schools, it would be helpful if you could be ready to take the LSAT in October as opposed to December. Regarding your senior year course selection, the key would be to explain why the 100 level courses made sense to round out your education and challenge you in different (and better!) ways than a more traditional curriculum composed of mostly upper level courses.

I hope this helps. Please don’t hesitate to call us toll free at 1.800.809.0800 to schedule a complimentary assessment.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Christopher Butz
    Participant

I’ve been hearing work experience is becoming more important for law schools. Is this true? Do I gain an advantage if I choose to get some international work experience as opposed to staying in the US?

I’ve been hearing work experience is becoming more important for law schools. Is this true? Do I gain an advantage if I choose to get some international work experience as opposed to staying in the US?

Hi Christopher and thanks for your inquiry.

There is certainly some truth to that. While you can get admitted straight from undergrad, Northwestern Law comes to mind as a school that places a pretty heavy emphasis on work experience. We generally recommend work experience for any prospective applicants who aren’t 100% certain that they see a legal career in their future. Even with the record-high grants many schools have been awarding, it’s not right to waste 3 years of your life and take on that debt if it’s not going to benefit your career.

Regarding the second question about working abroad, it depends on the specifics of each job opportunity. If one will give you more exposure to the legal field, that should be weighed heavily. If I’m simply wearing my “admissions hat” and they’re equal in all regards, feel free to take the international opportunity.

I hope this helps. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 1.800.809.0800 to discuss this in more detail and/or to arrange a complimentary assessment of your candidacy.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Warren Prince
    Participant

I think I’m a good candidate and hope to get low 170s on the LSAT. My weak point is I’ve been a paralegal for 2 years because the market was bad when I graduated. Will this hurt me or can I use it to show my interest and background in the legal profession?

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 602 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.