Home Forums Law School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 593 replies, has 264 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 594 total)
  • Author

d0nkey0tay
    Participant

AdmissionsConsultants,

I am interested in attending law school, but the information on admissions that I have found on the web is either too vague or contradictory. I have a 2.8 cumulative undergrad GPA with a BA in sociology and a 3.2 GPA in my last 60 hours. Additionally, I have numerous F’s and withdrawals from my earlier years as an undergraduate. Which GPA do most law schools decide against? Knowing my sitution, what would be a safe LSAT score for me to be able to get into a decent law school or could I even get into a decent law school? Where can I find grants and scholarships for law school?

Thank you very much.[:)]

sheesh
    Participant

Hi Renee,

Given your experience in top law school admissions, can you speak to the idea of LSAT / GPA “cutoffs”/indexes, and most LS adcomms’ propensity to average the LSAT scores? My numbers are 2.23 / 152 / 164. I have five years of solid work experience, at multi-national companies with a couple of promotions and I presently hold a management position (entertainment, in Los Angeles). Obviously, I had some maturity issues and problems prioritizing while in college. I left school five years ago in need of just one more elective. My degree was conferred just this past spring, after I completed that last course via Independent Study. So even though I’m very much a non-traditional applicant, my application may not look it, at first glance. In an effort to overcome this, I am submitting my apps online, but I’m turning in my resume /PS/Addendums to control presentation, and especially to display my resume first. Is this even something to be concerned about, and if so, will my approach help at all or is there something else I can/should do?

I’m applying to all of the Los Angeles area schools, and I’ll go ahead and include UCLA and USC because I figure, Why not. But I’m wondering, Will those schools even look at my application, given that my index will inevitably render the outcome of denial? How does it *really* work? What are the chances of someone taking the time to really read my resume/PS/Addendums/LORs at a top 20 school, given my numbers? And, can a 12 point increase and well crafted addendum convince a top 20 school to consider only the higher score, and not average them?

Thanks so much for any input.

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your inquiry. Admissions committees look at your entire academic history when evaluating your file. They will look at your grades, grade trends, and courses taken. You may want to address why your academic performance was low during your first few semesters.

Without knowing more about you I cannot suggest a ‘safe’ LSAT. I encourage you to take a look at your diagnostic scores and generate a list of possible schools.

The web is the best place to look for money for law school.

If you would like to discuss your situation further please email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com .

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Sheesh,

Thank you for your inquiry.

You pose difficult questions. I have no experience with LSAT/GPA “cutoffs” as all applications are read regardless of LSAT/GPA. Some schools do use an index to sort applications when preparing to review but again- everything is read.

In terms of multiple LSAT scores, law schools must use the average for reporting purposes. It is possible for you to make a convincing argument as to why they should place more weight on the higher score but not to consider only that score.

It sounds as though you have taken the right steps to formulate your ‘story’ for the admissions committees. If you would like to run your application by a member of our team please email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com.

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

I am thinking of signing up for the February LSAT. I have not begun preparing and do not expect to be able to do much preparation until after Christmas. I was planning on taking an intensive Testmasters class all throughout January. Do you think I am rushing myself too much? Have you found that people generally need more than One month to prepare? I am thinking of putting it off until June but question how much more I will end up preparing (I have a nasty procrastination habit!).

Also, are their certain Prep Courses you have found that help the most?

Thank you very much for your advice.

shuggie
    Participant

Hi Renee,

I was hoping for some advice about the LSAT. I took it last Saturday and I’m considering cancelling my scores. I’ve been real consistent on my RC and LR scores, but logic games have been more challenging. The section didn’t go very well this time. I would estimate that my score was between 164 and 168 and I’ve generally been pretty good at predicting based on how many logic games I get to. I’m considering cancelling so that I can practice logic games some more (I KNOW that I can get more than half right).

I’m concerned about how the top law schools (Harvard, Yale, etc.) would view the cancellation. Would it be better to keep say a 165, or have a cancellation and a 170? My GPA and other characteristics are all pretty solid.

Thank you,
    Seth

I inadvertently posted this as a new thread as well.

rpost
    Participant

Seth,

Thank you for your inquiry. One score cancellation will not be viewed negatively. Keep in mind when making your decision that most law schools average multiple LSAT scores.

If you have further questions please email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com.

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

labelle
    Participant

Hi Rene,

My UG GPA was 3.4 (HYP), I have two LSAT scores: 160/176, good/great LORs and 1yr WE. I have applied to Columbia, Cornell, Gtown, GW, USC, and Duke. Do you think I should apply to some less/more rigorous schools? I would like to go to the most challenging school I can. Can you advise me of other schools which might consider my considering my unusual numbers?

Thank you!

Best,
    Labelle

rpost
    Participant

Labelle,

Thank you for your inquiry. It is always good to apply to a wide range of schools. That said, I would advise applying to one or two ‘safety’ schools. Think about where you envision yourself practicing after graduation and look at some safety schools in that area.

If you have further questions please email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com.

Best wishes,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

Dear Renee,

I just thought of an add on question to my 12/10 post on this Board: Are there certain LSAT Sessions when you might have better chances because that is when the “slackers” take it? For example, February is pretty late for applications so it might be all the people that are behind on the ball and/or did not like their first scores.

Also, have you had any experience with 1 month Testmaster’s courses? Would you recommend them?

Thank you very much,
    Will

rpost
    Participant

Will,

Thank you for your inquiry. Please see my answers below-

I just thought of an add on question to my 12/10 post on this Board: Are there certain LSAT Sessions when you might have better chances because that is when the “slackers” take it? For example, February is pretty late for applications so it might be all the people that are behind on the ball and/or did not like their first scores.

Not to my knowledge.

Also, have you had any experience with 1 month Testmaster’s courses? Would you recommend them?

No. I encourage you to post your question about Testmaster’s courses on the LSAT thread.

All the best,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Will,

To be clear regarding your question about Testmaster’s: I do not have experience with Testmaster’s courses and encourage you to post your question on the LSAT thread as some of our readers may have taken their courses.

Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

octlsat
    Participant

What happens in a situation where a student has to break a binding early decision agreement?

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your inquiry.

What happens in a situation where a student has to break a binding early decision agreement?

Law schools do not take lightly binding early decision agreements. I strongly advise you to contact the school as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

Best,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

Dear Renee,

I have a couple nit picky questions:

1. On LSAC, in order to fill in my Information Systems Major, I need to go under the Computer Science Major catagory. However, my School does it through the Business School. Should I put my Major as Business and Management Category and “Other” or should I put what it actually was “Information Systems” but under their Computer Science Catagory? I do not want to appear misleading but it was indeed Information Systems on my transcript.

2. Does it boost your chances to get into a school if your address is for across the country or in Canada rather than in the same region as the school? I have two addresses that I switch between and was wondering if one could give me a slight boost.

Thank you very much,
    Will

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 594 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares