Home Forums Law School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 593 replies, has 264 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 594 total)
  • Author

On behalf of AdmissionsConsultants, Renee Post will be available to answer questions and offer insight into the law school admissions process. Renee holds a graduate degree in education from University of Pennsylvania. After joining University of Pennsylvania as a law school admissions officer in 1999, Renee was promoted to Associate Director of Admissions in 2000, a position she held for 2 additional years. She served Penn’s law school this past year (2002-2003) as both a consultant and Interim Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid before joining AdmissionsConsultants. Renee has literally made thousands of accept, reject, and waitlist decisions for Penn over the course of her career.

Best of luck with your law school applications!

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants: Admissions committee experience from the top law schools

AdmissionsConsultants is a comprehensive admissions consultancy that has been helping its clients gain admission into their top-choice law schools for over 7 years. All of our consultants have reviewed applications, conducted admissions interviews, and made accept/reject/waitlist decisions for the top grad schools. We have a thorough understanding of the admissions process and know exactly what you need to do to maximize your chances. We work one on one with our clients to provide them with the highest possible level of service. In addition to essay editing services, we also consult our clients on admissions assessments, law school selection, admissions strategies, essay topic selection, interview preparation, letters of reference, pre admissions action plans, and more.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com

minglafille
    Participant

Dear Ms. Post,
    I am currently a sophomore at a top 20 university, and have a rather specific question to ask you about class selection. I took French in high school for 3 years, and was getting to be semi-fluent, but when I came to college, I decided on a whim to drop French and start taking German. Now as a sophomore, I can pick French back up by minoring in both German and French and be quadrilingual (I’m fluent in Chinese), or simply major in German and be trilingual and go beyond dabble. Which one would you think would be the more favorable route, aside from my personal preference, to be minoring and quadrilingual, or be majoring and tri-lingual?

Would you please also give some insight into your pre-admission program?

Thank you very much for your time,

Sincerely,
    Michelle

rpost
    Participant

Michelle,

Good question. I am curious about one thing- if you minor in both German and French will you not have a major? If that is the case, I would recommend majoring in German. What is of the utmost importance is that you perform well in your courses and choose challenging courses as you move forward in your undergraduate career.

In terms of your pre admissions action plan, we will discuss with you course selection, generate an application timeline, discuss your extra-curricular/ community service activities and begin to talk about what you might be looking for in a law school.

Best,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

minglafille
    Participant

I will actually be majoring in business, specifically Finance and International Business. If I do major in German, then that will be a second major. My concern with minoring in both German and French is that would “minors” in a language be considered merely a dabbling level?

P.S. If I were to sign up for a pre-admission action plan, then which category of service would I be subscribing to?

Thank you again,

Michelle

Hi Michelle and thanks for your inquiry.

As I probably know just enough about law school admissions to be dangerous, I’ll let Renee answer the first part of your question. I do know the answer to the second part though. If you want to sign up for the pre admissions consultation, you can just sign up for 1 hour of law school admissions services.

Best of luck with your future law school applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Michelle,

If you can double major and do it well- that is what I recommend. A language major coupled with International Business & Finance creates a solid and well rounded academic profile. Again, I stress the importance of your academic performance if you do choose to double major.

In terms of two language minors, it would be better to focus on one in depth.

Sincerely,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

minglafille
    Participant

Thank you very much Ms. Renee, all is clear now.

Michelle

I am ‘bumping’ this thread and I kindly ask you to post any questions for Renee here. This will help her quickly identify when her expertise is being requested and save her from reading through the many other topics in this section.

Thanks,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

alikaboom
    Participant

Hi,
    I received a written reprimand in my file for selling a football tickets over face value my freshman year of UG. I am in graduate school and it has been expunged from my record. Do you think it is safe to leave this off my app for applying to law school?

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your inquiry. It is best to include the incident in your application. Rest assured it will not negatively impact your application.

Best of luck,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

alikaboom
    Participant

Hi,
    I received a written reprimand in my file for selling a football tickets over face value my freshman year of UG. I am in graduate school and it has been expunged from my record. Do you think it is safe to leave this off my app for applying to law school?

pharoahaitch
    Participant

I’m currently applying for Fall 2004 admissions at three Top 15 law schools: UCLA, USC, and Columbia. Problem is, my GPA is 2.5 (Finance), and my LSAT score is 150. I have roughly two and 1/2 years of quality work experience, and a fairly, well rounded list of extra curricular activities. I know more factors are considered during the selection process than just GPA and LSAT alone. Are there other factors that could effectively be highlighted in the application package to offset these two negative factors? Am I wasting time and resources with these three particular applications, or is it possible to gain admissions into one of these three schools

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the admissions committees look for many things besides grades and LSAT scores. If they didn’t look for such additional items, there wouldn’t be such large spreads between the 25th and 75th percentile GPAs and LSAT scores of their incoming classes. In your case though, unless you can very clearly differentiate your candidacy and you have a huge ‘wow’ factor in your work experience and extracurricular activities, you are not going to be able to overcome the LSAT and GPA.

Sincerely,
    David Petersam & Renee Post

AdmissionsConsultants

ggsmokey
    Participant

I have accidentally omitted a piece of information from my law school apps. I was enrolled in a school for one semester as part of a study abroad program. I did not have to re-apply to the school where I sought my degree. The transcript for the coursework is in my LSDAS report. However, it does not appear on my resume or applications. I do not want to mislead admissions personnel, or worse, appear lazy. What are my options for correcting my error?

rpost
    Participant

Thank you for your inquiry. Good question. I encourage you to call the admissions offices and ask if you can add additional information to your file. If so, you can either write a brief (one paragraph) addendum describing the program or update your resume to include the experience.

Good luck,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 594 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares