Home Forums Graduate School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,141 replies, has 489 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,142 total)
  • Author

hgroup
    Participant

dear admission consultant,

I am a swiss citizen, I have a master degree in pharamaceutics and more or less 2 years of working experience as a pharmacy manager and as a consultant. My GMAT score is 610 and I hope to be admited for the 3rd round at HBS. Do you think I still have a chance?.. Do they consider lower GMAT for non english speaker?
    best regards.

Georges

Hi Georges and thanks for your inquiry. This should really be posted on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread in the MBA section, so I am going to place a copy there for the benefit of the MBA readers.

dear admission consultant,

I am a swiss citizen, I have a master degree in pharamaceutics and more or less 2 years of working experience as a pharmacy manager and as a consultant. My GMAT score is 610 and I hope to be admited for the 3rd round at HBS. Do you think I still have a chance?.. Do they consider lower GMAT for non english speaker?
    best regards.

Georges

HBS is a very selective school and successful applicants almost always have a significant ‘wow’ factor in their applications. You will have to work even harder than others given your lower GMAT score and the fact you applied late. Of course, it is possible to be admitted to HBS with a 610 GMAT in the last round and you will have a definitive answer from the school itself in about a month.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

deenread
    Participant

Hello Admissions Consultant,
    I dont know if I’m posting this correctly. Anyway, hope it works.

I have a few questions, first a little about myself, I was born in Afghanistan and refuged to the U.S. at the age of ten, I am currently a senior in college and will take a year off after graduation to teach english in Japan. My GPA is 3.5 and I will be applying to Stanford, UC Santa Cruz, Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara for Social Psychology/ Human Development. I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good “safety” schools in california as my chances of getting in to the places I’m applying to will most likely be slim to none. From the brief discription I gave you, what do you guys think my chances of getting in will be? As soon as the Fall semester starts I will look for research opportunities on campus and I am pretty actively involved on campus as well. I have contacted a faculty member at santa cruz and am planning on corresponding with her over the year and also researching other faculty members in my desired grad schools. Also, will taking a year off hurt me in terms of financial aid? I am getting a full rid to attend my current college because of my financial need and my etnicity, I am hoping my background in itself will get my foot in the door, it seems schools want more diverse students. Anyway, thanks for reading this long letter. Your advice will be much appreciated!!
    deen

hmacneill
    Participant

Hello and thank you for your questions. A lot will depend on whether you applying for a Masters or Doctoral degree. I would recommend that you consider some free standing programs at schools dedicated to studies in psychology, as well as some of the state system schools (CSU). To assess your competitiveness, schools will consider your GPA but they are also going to consider a number of other factors. GRE scores, volunteer/research experience, essays and letters of recommendation to name a few. Well rounded applicants with unique qualities in their background will stand out in the admissions process. Taking a year off should not hurt you from an admissions standpoint, especially if you are doing something like working abroad. It should also not impact your ability to seek financial assistance for school, keep in mind that federal funding at the graduate level is mainly loan based. Scholarships and grants coming from the school should not be impacted by your work between undergraduate and graduate studies.
    Best of luck to you.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

quote:

Originally posted by deenread

Hello Admissions Consultant,
    I dont know if I’m posting this correctly. Anyway, hope it works.

I have a few questions, first a little about myself, I was born in Afghanistan and refuged to the U.S. at the age of ten, I am currently a senior in college and will take a year off after graduation to teach english in Japan. My GPA is 3.5 and I will be applying to Stanford, UC Santa Cruz, Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara for Social Psychology/ Human Development. I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good “safety” schools in california as my chances of getting in to the places I’m applying to will most likely be slim to none. From the brief discription I gave you, what do you guys think my chances of getting in will be? As soon as the Fall semester starts I will look for research opportunities on campus and I am pretty actively involved on campus as well. I have contacted a faculty member at santa cruz and am planning on corresponding with her over the year and also researching other faculty members in my desired grad schools. Also, will taking a year off hurt me in terms of financial aid? I am getting a full rid to attend my current college because of my financial need and my etnicity, I am hoping my background in itself will get my foot in the door, it seems schools want more diverse students. Anyway, thanks for reading this long letter. Your advice will be much appreciated!!
    deen

AdmissionsConsultants

ibmw007
    Participant

I am applying for physical therapy grad school. Do you have any comments on what is important to say and what I want to avoid.

hmacneill
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ibmw007

I am applying for physical therapy grad school. Do you have any comments on what is important to say and what I want to avoid.

Hello and thanks for your questions. I assume you are asking about what to write in your personal statement/essays? PT admissions committees will want to read about your motivation and passion towards wanting to be a PT. What kind of observation or work experience have you had that has brought you into contact with a PT? What did that experience teach you about the profession and the issues that face the profession?
    They will want to learn more about why you chose to pursue PT school. What (if any) hurdles did you face and how did you overcome them?
    They will also be looking for unique qualities or experiences, to set you apart from other applicants. Since grades and test scores are a big part of the admissions process for many of the competitive schools, the personal statement is really your opportunity to distinguish yourself.
    Good Luck.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

AdmissionsConsultants

justbrit86
    Participant

hi,i posted dis a couple of other places
    Dear admission consultant,
    i am in a Freshman in a 6year Pharm.D program but it has been my aspiration to become an M.D… is there any way that pharmacy students can be accepted into med school after 4 years instead of 6 years….someone told me it may not be very likely since i only get a degree after 6 years….however, i know i can do well both on gpa and MCAT if i study….i am in pharmacy as a backup….
    i know that i can get into a med school through the traditional route of pre-med but my parents hate taking risks…..
    also is there any way to transfer into those combined med programs (i made a huge mistake in high school in not applying b/c my SATs would surely have gotten me in plus w/ my extracurriculars)
    if not could i enter as a freshman in the 6year accelerated med programs….
    thanks for reading my rather lengthy question
    if would mean the world to me if there was a possibility to try for med school while still having pharmacy as backup

Keymaster

This should be asked in the medical school section. Thank you.

shmerham
    Participant

I’m planning to apply to grad school for operations research, but I’m worried about my letters of recommendation. I graduated 2 years ago and when I was going to school for mechanical engineering, graduate school was the furthest thing from my mind. I just wanted to start doing real work. I didn’t even know what operations research was at the time. After having worked as a mechanical engineer for two years, I’ve determined that I don’t even enjoy it as much as I expected to. Evaluating my interests and strengths, I think I’ve found something that I can be good at and passionate about.

I didn’t work closely with many professors. I did with one in particular. It was an intimate class and I was a part of the student organization that this professor was the advisor for. We attended a professional conference together.

That’s where the great relationships end. I had another professor in two interactive classes. I’m fairly sure he’ll remember me, but I’m not sure it would be enough to write a recommendation.

I’m at a loss for a third. There’s one professor that would probably remember me, but I don’t think he’d remember me enough to write one.

My confidence is really low right now; not because I don’t think I can succeed in graduate school, but because I’m worried I haven’t done enough to give myself a shot to show that I can succeed.

hmacneill
    Participant

Hello and thank you for your questions. You are correct; letters of recommendation are a tough part of the application and should be completed by people that can confidently speak of your abilities. One thing to consider is that some schools accept and value letters of recommendation from a professional/work reference. Check with some of your schools to see if this is an option. Do you plan or need to take classes for prerequisites? If you do, then you may be able to build some more current academic references to use.
    Best of luck to you.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

quote:

Originally posted by shmerham

I’m planning to apply to grad school for operations research, but I’m worried about my letters of recommendation. I graduated 2 years ago and when I was going to school for mechanical engineering, graduate school was the furthest thing from my mind. I just wanted to start doing real work. I didn’t even know what operations research was at the time. After having worked as a mechanical engineer for two years, I’ve determined that I don’t even enjoy it as much as I expected to. Evaluating my interests and strengths, I think I’ve found something that I can be good at and passionate about.

I didn’t work closely with many professors. I did with one in particular. It was an intimate class and I was a part of the student organization that this professor was the advisor for. We attended a professional conference together.

That’s where the great relationships end. I had another professor in two interactive classes. I’m fairly sure he’ll remember me, but I’m not sure it would be enough to write a recommendation.

I’m at a loss for a third. There’s one professor that would probably remember me, but I don’t think he’d remember me enough to write one.

My confidence is really low right now; not because I don’t think I can succeed in graduate school, but because I’m worried I haven’t done enough to give myself a shot to show that I can succeed.

AdmissionsConsultants

biochem_student
    Participant

hello admissions consultant(s),

I’m a 4th year undergraduate student in biochemistry at the University of Toronto, in Canada. I have an interest in American grad schools. I have an cumulative GPA of 3.35 at the end of my third year, but I have a strong record of research in my undergraduate years. I also plan to take the GRE both subject and general. My goal is to earn a 1400 on the general and an 80%+ on subject. I would like to apply for Harvard/yale/columbia/UC.Berkeley but I don’t know if my academic background as described would be sufficient. Can somebody offer me some advice? What schools should I be looking at?

hmacneill
    Participant

Hello and thank you for your questions. Certainly, a 1400 GRE and your GPA would prepare you for consideration at the schools you have listed. They certainly are competitive schools however, so admissions standards are high. Keep in mind that your specific area of research interest and your ability to communicate those interests and your desires for graduate study are almost equally important as the grades and test scores. In addition, strong letters of recommendation can help distinguish you from the rest of the applicant pool. Selecting a program for PhD study is a very individual process, it is important that a faculty member is working in an area that you plan to study. I would recommend researching a few more schools to find a few that have a higher rate of admission, and apply to those as well, just to be safe.
    Best of luck to you.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

quote:

Originally posted by biochem_student

hello admissions consultant(s),

I’m a 4th year undergraduate student in biochemistry at the University of Toronto, in Canada. I have an interest in American grad schools. I have an cumulative GPA of 3.35 at the end of my third year, but I have a strong record of research in my undergraduate years. I also plan to take the GRE both subject and general. My goal is to earn a 1400 on the general and an 80%+ on subject. I would like to apply for Harvard/yale/columbia/UC.Berkeley but I don’t know if my academic background as described would be sufficient. Can somebody offer me some advice? What schools should I be looking at?

AdmissionsConsultants

joan
    Participant

Dear Admissions Consultants,

I am applying for admissions to a graduate program in education with teaching certification to teach English as a Second Language (ESL). I am currently taking 6 grad. credits at the school.

I have been out of school 16 years, graduated from a Top 25 liberal arts college with a degree in Romance Languages and, unfortunately, a very low (barely passing) GPA. I had some medical as well as family problems during my college years; basically, I got off to a bad start and probably should have taken time off to mature and get my head together.

Last semester I took an undergrad class needed for certification and got an “A” and I’m doing very well in the two grad. classes I am taking now. I also have relevant teaching experience — 2 years as a tutor in my local high school for a non-English speaking student, 1 year as a sub and 1 year as a bilingual tutor in reading. I have very good references.

The university I’m applying to requires the Praxis I test for which I received a waiver based on my SAT scores. I could also take foreign language proficiency testing which has some application to my course of study but is not required. There usually is an exam for each certification but I’m having trouble finding out which one applies for ESL. In any event, I may not have the background knowledge for it without additional coursework.

The program this university offers is unique and is not offered anywhere else near me, so I don’t have a backup choice. So there’s quite a bit at stake here for me!

Any suggestions? Should I explain my situation to the admissions folks and be upfront about it? I know that the school will work with people to raise their GPA with additional courses. Do you think my current coursework and relationships I am building with my professors will help me? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

hmacneill
    Participant

Hello and thank you for your questions. It may work in your favor that you have been out of schools for 16 years. Many graduate schools will ask for recent grades or GPA to gauge your current academic potential. Taking classes to improve your overall GPA can be tough but I do think that taking relevant courses now can help prove your academic ability. You will certainly have the opportunity to present your “story” and current achievements in your statement of purpose. When explaining past academic performance it is best to present it honestly and to take full responsibility for it, at the same time reference any current academic success and relevant work experience. Certainly, any relationships you are building now and references will of great value to you. Best of luck to you.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

quote:

Originally posted by joan

Dear Admissions Consultants,

I am applying for admissions to a graduate program in education with teaching certification to teach English as a Second Language (ESL). I am currently taking 6 grad. credits at the school.

I have been out of school 16 years, graduated from a Top 25 liberal arts college with a degree in Romance Languages and, unfortunately, a very low (barely passing) GPA. I had some medical as well as family problems during my college years; basically, I got off to a bad start and probably should have taken time off to mature and get my head together.

Last semester I took an undergrad class needed for certification and got an “A” and I’m doing very well in the two grad. classes I am taking now. I also have relevant teaching experience — 2 years as a tutor in my local high school for a non-English speaking student, 1 year as a sub and 1 year as a bilingual tutor in reading. I have very good references.

The university I’m applying to requires the Praxis I test for which I received a waiver based on my SAT scores. I could also take foreign language proficiency testing which has some application to my course of study but is not required. There usually is an exam for each certification but I’m having trouble finding out which one applies for ESL. In any event, I may not have the background knowledge for it without additional coursework.

The program this university offers is unique and is not offered anywhere else near me, so I don’t have a backup choice. So there’s quite a bit at stake here for me!

Any suggestions? Should I explain my situation to the admissions folks and be upfront about it? I know that the school will work with people to raise their GPA with additional courses. Do you think my current coursework and relationships I am building with my professors will help me? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

AdmissionsConsultants

joan
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback, Heather.

One last question…do you think I should just send my app. and wait for an interview? I was wondering if it might be better to contact the admissions office directly to see if I can meet with someone there to interview and explain my situation. I’d like to be proactive and show that I’m a serious candidate. How should I approach this?

Thanks — Joan

Quote:
    Originally posted by hmacneill

Hello and thank you for your questions. It may work in your favor that you have been out of schools for 16 years. Many graduate schools will ask for recent grades or GPA to gauge your current academic potential. Taking classes to improve your overall GPA can be tough but I do think that taking relevant courses now can help prove your academic ability. You will certainly have the opportunity to present your “story” and current achievements in your statement of purpose. When explaining past academic performance it is best to present it honestly and to take full responsibility for it, at the same time reference any current academic success and relevant work experience. Certainly, any relationships you are building now and references will of great value to you. Best of luck to you.

Heather MacNeill

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.