Home Forums Graduate School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,141 replies, has 489 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,142 total)
  • Author

On behalf of AdmissionsConsultants, we will be available to answer questions and offer insight into the graduate school (non MBA, law and medical) admissions process.

Best of luck with your graduate school applications!

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants: Admissions committee experience from the top graduate schools

AdmissionsConsultants is a comprehensive admissions consultancy that has been helping its clients gain admission into their top-choice graduate schools for over 7 years. All of our consultants have reviewed applications, conducted admissions interviews, and made accept/reject/waitlist decisions for the top grad schools. We have a thorough understanding of the admissions process and know exactly what you need to do to maximize your chances. We work one on one with our clients to provide them with the highest possible level of service. In addition to essay editing services, we also consult our clients on admissions assessments, graduate school selection, admissions strategies, essay topic selection, interview preparation, letters of reference, pre admissions action plans, and more.

http://www.admissionsconsultants.com

keenomacdaddy
    Participant

Julie,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questoins. Is there any way to get into a top 25 MBA program with a 600 GMAT and 2.7 GPA. I kow I can get good references, I interview well and my work exp is good.

Many thanks!

keenomacdaddy
    Participant

Julie,

Never mind. I just posted this in the MBA section with David.

jml1980
    Participant

Hi Julie,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I took the GMAT, and got a 610 overall, and I am looking to apply to St. John’s, Fordham, Pace and Baruch for my MBA. I have some concerns, however, as to some of my application components. First off, I am 23 and have about 2 years of full time work experience, and the past 6 months of my employment has been with Citigroup, doing computer programming. My undergrad GPA was 3.62 overall, and 3.75 in my major. My writing ability is great, so I am not worried about my essays, and my recommendations are from people I trust will speak of my abilities in a positive light. My concerns do lie in my short work experience, and my AWA score, which was a dismal 3.5. With my GMAT score, undergrad GPA, short work experience and low AWA, will these raise any alarms in adcomm’s heads as to my ability to pursue graduate study? My first choice is Fordham, but I feel my age and work experience may hinder my chances of getting in. Please let me know what you think of my chances in the schools I listed. Thanks in advance!!!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Hi Julie,

Julie is not currently accepting new clients; she is at full capacity. Therefore, I will be glad to answer your questions.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I took the GMAT, and got a 610 overall, and I am looking to apply to St. John’s, Fordham, Pace and Baruch for my MBA. I have some concerns, however, as to some of my application components. First off, I am 23 and have about 2 years of full time work experience, and the past 6 months of my employment has been with Citigroup, doing computer programming. My undergrad GPA was 3.62 overall, and 3.75 in my major. My writing ability is great, so I am not worried about my essays, and my recommendations are from people I trust will speak of my abilities in a positive light. My concerns do lie in my short work experience, and my AWA score, which was a dismal 3.5. With my GMAT score, undergrad GPA, short work experience and low AWA, will these raise any alarms in adcomm’s heads as to my ability to pursue graduate study? My first choice is Fordham, but I feel my age and work experience may hinder my chances of getting in. Please let me know what you think of my chances in the schools I listed. Thanks in advance!!!

In addition to the factors you mentioned above, the admissions committees will also care deeply about your extracurricular activities and career progression. (The ‘quality’ of your work experience is even more important than its quantity.) When all of these factors are presented, a more clear picture of your best story and the ‘wow’ factor in your candidacy will emerge.

In short, with good extracurriculars, a good career progression, and well-prepared applications, you would be competitive at the schools you mentioned right now. Unfortunately, I have inadequate information from your post to give you an accurate assessment of your chances.

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the email address or telephone number below to schedule an appointment with one of our consultants.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

elb5
    Participant

Hi,

I have a question about Harvard’s admissions essays.

Last year’s application had the following question:
    “5. How would a Harvard Business School education help you to reach your professional goals? (300-word limit)”

However this year, the question is worded as such:
    “5. What are your career aspirations and how can an MBA help you reach them? Why now? (400-word limit)”

Does this mean that they are not interested in the “why Harvard” aspect of the question this year? It seems odd, but then again maybe they got tired of hearing the same responses year after year.

400 words is very few, so I don’t want to use up precious space with my reasons for applying to Harvard if it’s not required. But where else would I emphasize my decision to apply specifically to HBS?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi and thanks for your inquiry. Please post future b-school questions on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread in the MBA section. This will allow more interested readers to read your inquiries and our responses.

Hi,

I have a question about Harvard’s admissions essays.

Last year’s application had the following question:
    “5. How would a Harvard Business School education help you to reach your professional goals? (300-word limit)”

However this year, the question is worded as such:
    “5. What are your career aspirations and how can an MBA help you reach them? Why now? (400-word limit)”

Does this mean that they are not interested in the “why Harvard” aspect of the question this year? It seems odd, but then again maybe they got tired of hearing the same responses year after year.

It is absolutely imperative that you address why HBS at some point in your story. While I have no doubt the HBS admissions board is tired of reading and hearing ineffective and cliche responses, they still need to ensure that you are a good fit with their program.

400 words is very few, so I don’t want to use up precious space with my reasons for applying to Harvard if it’s not required. But where else would I emphasize my decision to apply specifically to HBS?

Business writing is supposed to be concise. The answers HBS is seeking can, and should, be confined, to their word limits. Their admissions process is particularly competitive and the vast majority of applicants have good GPAs, GMATs, career progressions, extracurriculars, etc. As a result, being over the word limits is too convenient reason to give them to ding you.

Thanks for your advice!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

jules_k
    Participant

Dear Admissions Consultants,

I have a lackluster GPA from a good school and a competitive major (2.9 in architecture at UC Berkeley). I graduated four years ago and, pardon my lack of modesty, but my work experience since has been relevant and excellent. My GRE scores are inconsistent (620 verbal, 630 math, 3/6 on the writing). I’m applying to some of the more competitive graduate programs in urban planning where GRE scores are optional. I was wondering if submitting my GRE scores might help or hurt my chances of admission. It’s the writing score that concerns me obviously.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Julie

Hi Julie and thanks for your inquiry.

Dear Admissions Consultants,

I have a lackluster GPA from a good school and a competitive major (2.9 in architecture at UC Berkeley). I graduated four years ago and, pardon my lack of modesty, but my work experience since has been relevant and excellent. My GRE scores are inconsistent (620 verbal, 630 math, 3/6 on the writing). I’m applying to some of the more competitive graduate programs in urban planning where GRE scores are optional. I was wondering if submitting my GRE scores might help or hurt my chances of admission. It’s the writing score that concerns me obviously.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Julie

It looks like you are, to use an old cliche, caught between a rock and a hard place. You need to demonstrate your academic qualifications and neither your GPA or GRE are doing a particularly good job of making your case. Normally, an applicant can be successful with a low GPA if there is a higher GRE score. If you are going to be admitted without building an alternate transcript or retaking the GRE, you are going to need to pull a tremendous ‘wow’ factor out of your work experience.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

Our consultants have graduate school admissions committee experience

AdmissionsConsultants

OCDLass
    Participant

I am planning on applying to top top schools. I am working on my Thesis and am seeking to get it published. Would it be more prestigious in eyes of the admissions people to have it be just me as oppose to writing it along with a Professor? If am able to do a Thesis of publishable quality on my own, how much better off am I not bringing in a Professor to co-author? Does it make much of a difference?

Thank you,
    Jan

Hi Jan and thanks for your inquiry.

I am planning on applying to top top schools. I am working on my Thesis and am seeking to get it published. Would it be more prestigious in eyes of the admissions people to have it be just me as oppose to writing it along with a Professor? If am able to do a Thesis of publishable quality on my own, how much better off am I not bringing in a Professor to co-author? Does it make much of a difference?

There are a lot of variables at work here and the admissions committees will care about more than just how well your thesis is received. If you feel you can get the thesis published on your own in a journal as prestigious as you could with a co-author, then, from a pure admission perspective, do it on your own. If you fear it may not be published, then the co-author lends additional credibility to your work.

We do have a consultant who specializes in Ph.D. admissions, so don’t hesitate to contact us directly if you would like professional assistance with your applications.

Thank you,
    Jan

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

lgarcia
    Participant

hi, i`m a civil engineer from the Dominican Republic, i`m trying to

apply for a master program in USA. i want to know which are the best

universities to get an acceptance letter for foreigners. My gpa 3.16, Toelf 240/300, GRE (haven`t taken) but let supose i did well. thanks

hi, i`m a civil engineer from the Dominican Republic, i`m trying to

apply for a master program in USA. i want to know which are the best

universities to get an acceptance letter for foreigners. My gpa 3.16, Toelf 240/300, GRE (haven`t taken) but let supose i did well. thanks

I think you should start by determining the criteria you seek in your program and then begin narrowing down the list from there. There are many good books on graduate admission and we have Amazon.com reviews on some of them at http://www.admissionsconsultants.com/graduateschool/books.asp.

If you near the admitted applicant median for those programs or you have a ‘wow’ factor that you can properly highlight to help you stand out, then you can research the percentage of international applicants those schools accept. Don’t be too quick to stereotype the schools. If you are a good fit, you will be competitive even if only a small percentage of their students are international.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

OCDLass
    Participant

Is it always neccessary to take the GRE? If you have been out of school for almost 10 years, and now are just looking to get a Masters in Library Science to be a librarian while the kids are at School, is it possible to substitute life experience for the GRE? Have you heard of people going part time and bypassing the need for the GRE?

Thank you very much!

Is it always neccessary to take the GRE? If you have been out of school for almost 10 years, and now are just looking to get a Masters in Library Science to be a librarian while the kids are at School, is it possible to substitute life experience for the GRE? Have you heard of people going part time and bypassing the need for the GRE?

Thank you very much!

There are many graduate programs and some of them have different requirements. As a general rule of thumb, do not expect the selective ones to allow you to substitute life experience for a GRE score. Since you have been out of school so long, they will be even more concerned with your academic abilities.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.