Home Forums MBA Admission Inquiry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I am Second Officer in Merchant Navy working on Oil Tankers. My company is a leading shipping company in the oil business and carrieas oil for all the major oil companies like Shell, Mobil, Chevron Texaco, Caltex etc. I have a 3 year Degree in B.Sc. In Nautical Sciences (Which includes subjects like Maritime Law, Marine Management, Maritime Commerce, besides the technical courses).
    Could you advise me whether with my backgrounds will good business schools be accepting me. And after passing out from a good institute what will be the opportunities available and could I look to apply in fields other than shipping. Is it compulsory to have a 4 year degree course to apply to any US Business Schools. Are there any business schools in US accepting a 3 year graduate course for admission. Could you advise me such schools in Us and outside US

Hi Mike. I’m guessing you are seeking my advice, but I’m not sure. Kindly post future inquiries for AdmissionsConsultants on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread.

I am Second Officer in Merchant Navy working on Oil Tankers. My company is a leading shipping company in the oil business and carrieas oil for all the major oil companies like Shell, Mobil, Chevron Texaco, Caltex etc. I have a 3 year Degree in B.Sc. In Nautical Sciences (Which includes subjects like Maritime Law, Marine Management, Maritime Commerce, besides the technical courses).
    Could you advise me whether with my backgrounds will good business schools be accepting me. And after passing out from a good institute what will be the opportunities available and could I look to apply in fields other than shipping. Is it compulsory to have a 4 year degree course to apply to any US Business Schools. Are there any business schools in US accepting a 3 year graduate course for admission. Could you advise me such schools in Us and outside US

There is no reason why a merchant navy officer can’t be accepted into a top b-school and I know for a fact that there are students with such backgrounds in top b-schools. The key is to come up with a different story than what will work successfully for the more ‘traditional’ banker or consultant applicant.

Each business school has its own policy on prerequisites and all schools have been known to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis. We have helped applicants with 3 year degrees (generally from India) gain admission into top US schools. You will find schools in Canada and the UK a bit more accommodating though. Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with the school selection process.

If you graduate with an MBA and apply yourself hard at the recruiting process, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to make a career switch. Your “odds” of making the switch depend on numerous factors such as the economy, your job interview skills, network, assistance from the school’s career placement office, etc.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.