Home Forums Medical School International Another consideration for those considering the Caribbean

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone!

For those medical school applicants considering the Caribbean, the aftermath of Hurricane Irma may bring one more consideration for them. Find out how your potential school plans to handle hurricanes. Do their facilities often receive significant damage when major storms pass close by? Do they have a reliable plan to help students evacuate to safety in the event of looting and general lawlessness? Do they stockpile enough supplies to help them through the rebuilding?

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com Facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com Twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com Youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com Pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com Google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

Hello everyone!

I’m in receipt of an email that appears to have originated from an AOL account. I’m redacting the name and phone number. I have no interest in potentially violating anyone’s privacy and if that makes this less credible to you, that’s fine. Take it with a grain of salt then. (Of course if a qualified journalist from a respectable publication contacts me, I’d be happy to share more so he or she can conduct his or her own investigation.)

Without further ado, here is the text of the email verbatim with only the names and phone number redacted:

Good afternoon,

My daughter [name redacted] is in Medical School in the Caribbean and was hit head on by Hurricane Irma. She is an amazing young woman with incredible determination, passion and drive. I would like to plead with you to accept her transfer out of the Caribbean. I couldn’t speak with her for 2 days and thought I might have lost her to Hurricane Irma. There is no more food or water available on the island and they are cut off from the outside world as the airport is damaged. The government said it will be a couple of weeks before they can get any supplies to the island. I am pleading with you as a very concerned and distraught mother. I will donate my time, pay additional to the school for tuition or donate to programs that need support. This situation/environment is not conducive to a quality education.

She has extensive medical experience as she has worked in the Emergency Room at our local Medical Center for 3 years prior to Medical School.

I know this is an unusual request but my heart is broken and I am terrified being at the mercy of a foreign country who is not doing anything to assist them while in this situation.

God Bless you for taking the time to read this email.

Graciously,
    [name and phone number redacted]

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

The CBC is reporting that a team of Canadian medical volunteers has been told NOT to visit Saint Martin in the British Virgin Islands after reports that the area is “on the brink of civil war and there’s been a lot of looting and violence.”

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

TheStar.com has an article that discusses how the Caribbean medical schools have been handling the recent hurricanes. I strongly encourage any prospective applicants to read the short article.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

AOL News has an article about how Ross University School of Medicine was working tirelessly, as of Friday, to account for all of its students. The school stated the first group of 140 students and school employees had already departed by boat for St. Lucia for a flight to the US mainland. We assume they are planning to evacuate their other students as well and we’re speculating here that they are probably using a year (or more?) of their education. We’re uncertain as of now, as to how much tuition may be refunded that they’ve already paid.

This is clearly not good for any of the students, more particularly the fourth-year students that had the most time and tuition invested.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

Inside Higher Ed has a nice article summarizing how Caribbean universities are dealing with the hurricane damage. Ross University School of Medicine is apparently looking at alternate locations to resume its basic science program (the clinical training in US hospitals was obviously not affected by the storms) and the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine is reportedly going to hold its fall classes in the UK.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

After Ross University wraps up its fall semester on a cruise ship, it will relocate to the Lincoln Memorial University campus in Tennessee. Ross is expected to use the LMU medical facilities to continue teaching its own curriculum for the next year.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares