Home Forums Graduate School Miscellaneous Addressing your dissertation expectations during your admission interview

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pugglen 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone!

Inside Higher Ed published a nice editorial about the three myths of the “perfect dissertation.” We don’t want to regurgitate the article here (click the link above if you want to read the full piece), but the advice boils down to the perfect dissertation is the one that is completed.

We simply want to add that while you want to research what the Ph.D. graduate student years will be like, some applicants harm their candidacies by addressing their expectations in excessive detail during their interviews. While they undoubtedly meant to look prepared, it is sometimes interpreted as naivete as every doctoral experience is unique and, even worse, it’s sometimes even interpreted as arrogance mixed with ignorance. So, do your research on what your Ph.D. student experience might be like but remember to keep it tuned down during your all-important interviews.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

pugglen
    Participant

You have great posts. I’m happy I stumbeled upon this. I think this is why my gf was rejected everywhere despite a number of interviews. Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares