Home Forums Graduate School GRE Low GRE Scores

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Guy Simple 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

PHPhD
    Participant

Hi!

I recently took the GRE and got a 450 Verbal, 640 Quantiative and a 5 on the writing section. I have a 3.4 undergraduate GPA and a 3.6 GPA for my Master’s. I have published multiple publications and have a pretty high position at my job as well as have really great recommendations. English is my second language and I have consistently scored low on standardized tests. I am planning on applying to pretty competitive PhD public health programs. Do you recommend I re-take the GRE or should I focus on my application and in my personal statement write why I did poorly in the verbal section?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nibor6000
    Participant

Your AW score is quite good despite the low verbal. However, most PhD public health programs require a combined score of at least 1200, if not higher. I think you need to retake the GRE.

sushant@1985
    Participant

i m preparing for gre and widh to do mba again, as once i had completed it,i wish all of you good luck too

Management student

Tofayelbd
    Participant

If you want to PhD public health programs in a good university, then retake GRE would be a wise decision.

Anonymous

How pathetic that a stoooopid standardized test that measures a few hours of your life is given so much weight.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by wrenchman87

How pathetic that a stoooopid standardized test that measures a few hours of your life is given so much weight.

Too much money to be made off them so don’t expect them to go away anytime soon.

michelle1993
    Participant

Instead of b!tching about the test, just study hard and take responsibility for what happens.

sickofdems
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by michelle1993

Instead of b!tching about the test, just study hard and take responsibility for what happens.

slow golf clap

pinkgirlcollections
    Participant

Yes retake the GRE will definitely help, but if you are going after a PHD program, some highly relevant research experience or relationship with professors might be able to help you offset the GRE verbal a bit.

Guy Simple
    Participant

Good point. Especially if you are looking at more quant PhD areas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares