Home Forums Law School International Beware LLM in Sports Law at DeMontfort

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  technod 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

gehrig4
    Participant

I am a tenured professor in the US with a J.D. degree and was interested in obtaining an LLM in sports law to further enhance my professional credentials. The LLM program at DeMontfort Law School, and administered by Informa, seemed perfect for me as they offered an online option. After placing numerous phone calls and sending confirmatory E-mails to make sure that none of my conversations were misunderstood, I applied to the program. I subsequently received an E-mail, which was originally sent to the wrong E-mail address, informing me that some of the information I had been provided was incorrect. This E-mail came from an individual who I had copied on my confirmatory E-mail 8 months earlier, and who was now saying that information was wrong. Also, after intially expressing interest in forming a relationship with me to help me defray the expense of my LLM program, DeMontfort Law was totally unresponsive to my phone calls or E-mails, but they made sure to make mention that I needed to pay my tuition when they told me I would be accepted into the program. As an educator and a sports industry professional, I strongly encourage those thinking of applying to this program to steer clear of it.

technod
    Participant

I’ve never heard of this school. Why do you need an LLM if you are already tenured and why not just go all the way and identify yourself if you’re going to post something like this?

ericn
    Participant

Well said technod. You can’t trust everything you read on the intrawebz.

gehrig4
    Participant

Dear ericn and technod:

My name is David Snyder. I am a tenured full professor in New York I received my J.D. from the University of Tennessee in 1985, and have been licensed to practice law in the State of New York since 1986. You, or anyone else who reads this post, can contact me at my office at (607) 753-5504, or E-mail me at ProfDSnyder@gmail.com if you require further information about the opinion I expressed, or if you need further verification of my identity.

I noticed that neither of you identified yourself in your posts. Also, I tried to E-mail both of you via this site and was unable to do so.

In terms of why I would want to get an LLM as a tenured professor, I try to teach my students about lifetime learning, so it seems I should practice what I preach. I do not believe that education ends when you get tenure. Rather, I think tenure means you take your education to another level. Also, I currently teach sport management at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and thought that an LLM in Sports Law, which is my area of concentration, would help position me for a possible transition to a law school at some point in the future.

As far as trusting what I posted, I would be happy to share my E-mail and written correspondence with DeMontfort, which I believe supports the opinion I originally posted, with either of you or anyone else who asks for it.

The bottom line is, I posted this message to benefit prospective students so that it would help them make intelligent choices about where they might want to go to pursue their LLM degrees. It is up to each individual to take that advice for what it is worth, and weigh it along with the input they get from other sources to decide what is right for them.

hppockets
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this Professor Snyder. Good to know!

crazygrim
    Participant

Awesome callout is awesome

technod
    Participant

Just checked in here for the first time in a very long time.

You seemed a bit suspicious and there are plenty of trolls on the boards. My apologies to Prof. Snyder. I hope others are able to heed your advice about this program. Best of luck to you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares