Home Forums College Admission 2nd Time College Student – Low Completion %

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ccharle2 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ccharle2
    Participant

Hello. I was hoping someone might have some advice for me. I’m a second time college student. I went to Community College in Florida when I graduated High School, 20 years ago. (1996-2000) I didn’t do well, didn’t take it seriously. I received several F’s and W’s for the classes I took. Now I’ve returned to school, with the intention of making things right and finally earning my degree. I started in Spring 2015, have taken 9 classes over Spring-Summer-Fall and have a 4.0 GPA. Unfortunately my past mistakes seem to keep coming back to bite me. My completion ratio is pretty low when you factor in the classes I failed and dropped so long ago. This makes me ineligible for Financial Aid, and I’ve turned instead to private loans to get me through to my AA. I would like to go to USF in Tampa, however I have just learned that their admission requirement is a 67% completion ratio, and they take into account EVERYTHING from my transcript. I’m hovering closer to 50%. I should be able to graduate with my AA in May, but now I’m wondering if it’s even worth it. Maybe I should switch to a 2-year AS at the Community College instead if I will not be admitted to a 4-year university. The USF admissions people tell me there are no appeals or evaluations done, unless you can prove ‘mitigating circumstances’. My only excuse is that I was young and foolish.

My questions are these:
    1. Anything I can do here? Would a college in a different state do things differently? Anyone to appeal to? Or am I stuck with community college only.

2. Financial Aid – same question. Completion Ratio must be 67% (Even though I never took financial aid the first time I went to college), which I can appeal, but I don’t have any concrete reason such as hospitalization of myself or a family member. Just poor choices when I was younger. I’d really prefer not to borrow any more money from private lenders.

3.My intended major has always been Computer Science. Would I really benefit tremendously from a 4-year CS degree as opposed to a 2-year CS degree?

4.Is there any benefit when searching for employment of having an AA degree alone? Or is it for university transfer only. Would potential employers see it as a benefit at all?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

mod
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to AdmissionsBoards.

I feel bad for you. Reach out to some out-of-state colleges to see how they feel about the completion ratio.

You can always start working in computers with your AA and continue with your bachelor part time paying your way through.

Good luck!

ccharle2
    Participant

Thank you mod for the reply. Do you think that I would be able to find a job with a generic ‘university transfer’ AA degree, as opposed to a more specific degree like an AS in programming? I wouldn’t mind doing as you suggest, I’m just worried about what potential employers would think of an AA degree only.

mod
    Keymaster

Workers with technical computer skills are in demand. Test the waters. What’s the worst that can happen?

ccharle2
    Participant

That is correct, however I’m at a deciding point. I still need one semester, and perhaps an extra class or two to earn my AA degree for university transfer. However, I’m still able to reconfigure my class schedule this semester to pursue the AS degree instead. This would require me to take different classes. I would prefer to get the AA, and work my way towards a bachelors in the future while starting my career, but I’m not sure if that would be feasible with an AA degree only.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares