Home Forums Medical School MCAT 18 MCAT

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  eatwell 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

wynterbabi
    Participant

Hello all…here is my situation. I took the MCAT twice- first time I got an 18, the second time I got an 18. My cumulative GPA is 3.7 and my BCPM GPA is 3.6. I managed that while working 40+ hrs/wk. I’ve done everything under the sun except research. My question is what schools will look past that stupid score?[V]

djo12
    Participant

I think if a student is disadvantaged, med schools take that into consideration when evaluating your application.

I think D.O schools have averages in the low to mid 20’s and med schools usually expect 29 and above. Your GPA looks really great. I think if you just retake the MCAT again you will be a good candidate. I have a friend who scored a 23 and 25 the first two times and broke 30 the third time! She always told me that 3 was the “magic number.” Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you!

Deva

quote:

Originally posted by wynterbabi

Hello all…here is my situation. I took the MCAT twice- first time I got an 18, the second time I got an 18. My cumulative GPA is 3.7 and my BCPM GPA is 3.6. I managed that while working 40+ hrs/wk. I’ve done everything under the sun except research. My question is what schools will look past that stupid score?[V]

Rita Sahai

mod
    Keymaster

Hi Harriet Crockett and welcome to Admissions Boards!

You raise a good question. On the one hand, taking the MCAT many times is often a red flag to admissions committees. On the other, a score of 17 will most likely not get you into the medical school of your choice. I suggest retaking the exam and finding a strategy that can help you overcome your mental block.

Best of luck!

infamus
    Participant

Would you honestly want someone with a 18 MCAT operating on your loved one?

gg010
    Participant

You really think that a standarized test will determine if that person will be a successful surgeon or not? Do you check your doctor’s MCAT scores before-hand? I don’t, and I know most people don’t, they just see the M.D. after that person’s name. The MCAT, USLE and all of those standarized test reflect your ability to critically think, not how you’ll do as a doctor-that is determined during residency.

I know of someone that literally received a 0.0 GPA at UT-Austin there first YEAR (not semester) of college. Worked it up to a 2.5, nailed a 42 on the MCAT and is now attending Standford Med…now wouldn’t you think that he would not be a good doctor, let alone get in? You think a high GPA and low MCAT score indicates someones ability to be a doctor?……

Answer: No one knows, my friend…that same person that got an 18 on the MCAT could have saved a life, so would that better predict her abilities as a doctor?

In this pre-med world of ours, no one knows the answers, all of these tests and gpa requirements (which are by the way just loopholes we have to jump through) are just “indicators” of how well we will do at a particular medical school, thats it, just “indicators”, if anyone interprets the MCAT for there ability to treat people, sorry they are sadly mistaken.

No offense, I just don’t like how some people try to discourage others.

bioprodigy
    Participant

i agree. MCAT is more of a process of elimination than an actual test of ur clinical acumen. I know a guy who was a migrant farm worker in california and is now a world renowned neurosurgeon.

saurabh

camaratwinrc
    Participant

I am not sure why if you know the content, you are making below 20’s on the MCAT, but that being said, I took 15 different practice tests and had score jumps from day to day of plus or minus 5, meaning a spread of 10 points. I had one day where I made 7 on the verbal and the next day I made 14. The the two biggest things that I struggled with before I started making better scores were content and timing. Once I finished all of my Kaplan content review and forced myself to maintain a pace where I finished each section 2-3 minutes early, my score from one practice test to the next jumped from 27 to 37. I took 12 more practice tests after that before test day and my test average for those 12 tests was 37.5. Remember my diagnostic was 27. The solution once again was perfect understanding of all Kaplan content, and machine like timing on every test I took.

falind
    Participant

I’ll be graduate in a year as a DC right now my GPA is 3.25. i haven’t take the Mcat what is my chance to get accepted to DO school my GPA. I haven’t take the Mcat hoping to take it after my board exam.

zohahunt64
    Participant

You don’t have a chance of getting in with an 18.

brycepj
    Participant

I suppose it’s possible that you could get into a foreign medical school, like in the Caribbean. I’ve heard of schools there accepting some pretty low

eatwell
    Participant

I didn’t think it was possible to complete a pre med program with at least a 2.0 and only score 18.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares