Home Forums College Admission low high school gpa

This topic contains 57 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Ryker 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

nyparkchic21
    Participant

Okay here is my story. I am 25, been in the Air Force for 6 years. Graduate high school in 2003 with a 2.833 GPA. I have done many community service things including starting a local chapter for Keep a Child Alive. I played varsity softball for our base every year, and I am currently taking college classes.

My goal is to finish my B.S. in biology; however since I am active duty it is extremely hard to do. I am taking 5 wk online classes…6 classes every 15 weeks. What GPA do I need when I graduate to even consider medical school? What year do I need to take the MCAT and how does one do research jobs/etc? Basically anything anyone can offer would be awesome![:)]

Sophie03
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by daydrmrjolene1

My daughter is ahigh school senior and goofedoff last year. Her gpa is 2.02 and she scored 1750 on her SAT this december. Do you know of a 4 yearcollege that may take her? She is interested in journalism and marketing.

Hello: I’ve worked as an Admissions Advisor for colleges, and to be honest it’s completely up to the college. Some will consider her SAT and ACT scores as apart of the process others will have her take a placement test and depending on how she does on this she’ll be eligible for admission.

Make a list of the colleges that have her majors and contact an Admissions Representative from that college. If there are things she needs to work on to get in they will let you know.

One suggestion may be that she take one semester at a Community college and see how she does, this will tell the college if she is ready or not to handle their curriculum.

I’ve worked with students who didn’t do so well in high school and we were able to get them in once they fulfilled our requirements.

Don’t be discouraged, the biggest thing is that she has to want to get in. If she does everything else can be worked around.

I hope this helps,

Sophie

music20
    Participant

Hi, I’m currently a junior at a prestigious college prep high school. Throughout sophomore year, I’ve had a 3.71 with one AP class and two honors classes. Now, I’m finishing up my 1st semester of junior year with one honors class and one AP class. I don’t know my final grade yet but I currently have a D in my AP class, but I have A’s and B’s in my other classes.Will my D affect my chances in getting into a top college (UC, Liberal Arts, Private, Ivy League)? Although my grades have been going down, it is still above a 3.0. As well, I am in the California Scholarship Federation, Girls for a Change, TASC force (community service group), I am the assistant editor of my school paper, and I am the co-founder and executive director of my own non-profit organization. Will my activities increase my chances in getting into a top school?

superfudgemonkey222
    Participant

hey there mvarya… don’t lose hope, even if you have to go to cc it’s just a stepping stone to a great college. i know a lot of people who began at cc and got their gpa up and then were able to transfer somewhere better. also your act scores are wicked good so you can use them to help you get into school. gpa is def not everything…not at all. so stick in there girl, i’m sure that you will end up at a great school

the only other thing is that you have to stop blaming your teachers, it happened and now all you can do is go forward in life. so many people are very different then they were in high school, you can be and do whatever you want

you go girl

quote:

Originally posted by mvarya

So I’m a high school senior who is very confused about where I should apply. I got a 34 on the ACT (2260 SAT equivalent. I have been active on an academic honor society, a language honor society and a business club where I have been executive vice president and president. I have won business plan competitions 2 years running in northern california and california and just got 1st place internationally on an alternative energy business plan. I was a finalist in a venture capitalist competition. I sit on the board of the Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist Roundtable, work for a local investment banking firm and am starting a media/entertainment company. I have played violin for 6 years and viola for 2, as 1st violist of one orchestra and a primary for another. I am also an Eagle scout. I have taken competitive courses with my senior year schedule including Calculus BC AP, English AP, Macroecon AP, Microecon AP, Government AP, French Honors, Bio AP and more. But then I go to a highly competitive school where I got into personal issues with some teachers leaving me with a 2.6 GPA going on 2.7 by the end of this year. I want to pursue a business (marketing, finance) degree and if possible also a degree in bioengineering. I cannot bring myself to accept going to a community college. I really would love to go to a nice college anywhere in the country, and its been heartbreaking accepting I won’t be able to go to any of the colleges I had hoped for (New York University, University of Southern California, etc). Where CAN I get in?

SausageHacker
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DeeCodeUh

I am a senior in High School with a GPA of 3. Since I have already been accepted into Michigan Tech, I am wondering what else a High School GPA is good for besides getting into College. In college I really plan to study hard and do much better than I did in High School, so after college…will my High School GPA even be relevant any more?

My dad made B’s and C’s in high school, and after being in the Navy for 6 years, applied to NYU. He was rejected, because of his high school grades. He went to Suffolk community college and made straight A’s. He transferred to Renselaer (RPI) and then eventually to MIT, where he graduated PHD.

So basically your institution only really looks back on your most recent GPA. They probably look at ones before that, but remember, colleges like to see improvement!

I’m a high school junior with a 3.3 unweighted. I hope that’s good enough coupled with a 197 PSAT and a 2130 SAT :O

osharma
    Participant

Hi, I have a 3.7 gpa and im going to be a junior next year at my high school. Is this gpa good to get into a good college? I volunteer every year and I do Indian dancing.

tmason17
    Participant

Hey, I’m currently a high school senior at a very good public high school. My high school ranks in the top 250 best public schools in the nation. I currently have 2.75 GPA, but as a junior last year I had a 3.2, including a 3.5 second semester. My ACT is a 22, but I have been studying a lot and I am shooting for a 24 in October. I am looking at some bigger state schools, and I am wondering what my chances are? thanks

Thomas Mason

JSerfaty
    Participant

Hey im a sophmore at a very good private school and my gpa right now is a 3.5 weighted. ive been playing guitar for six years and i play in the school band, i play ice hockey for my county league, i am yet to be defeated on my debate team, i co-run the business club, i play on varsity volleyball, and i am fluent in hebrew. my classes are half judaics and half secular. i am only in three honors classes and my school does not have an AP program. i really want to get into mcgill university but i dont know if i have a good enough status to get in. any thoughts?

gilrevis
    Participant

do a search for ‘open acceptance’ colleges and universities. there are some out there. it is true that many colleges/universities are selective. but do not lose hope. certainly the 2 year or branch college can be an alternate route to begin then transfer to a 4 year university. realize the reality is that scholarships are going to be hard to come by for a low gpa.

PrinceZuko
    Participant

Ok, I am a junior in high school and in my last trimester and i only have a 1.61 gpa how can i raise my gpa to atleast a 2.0 before i graduate in my senior year.

AdmissionsBoards
    Keymaster

I am going into my senior year in high school and I am not sure what to do. I have worked extremely hard with problems at home, and school to get to be a senior. I am very scared that I wont get into a decent college, because i scored low on my SAT’s and I have a low GPS-2.9 and I don’t know what colleges would except me with that sort of low GPA. What can I do to get it up my senior year? I am already going to take classes that are hard for me,and then I will have 3 free periods because of being a Senior. Is there anything that I can do my senior year to get my GPA to where it should be? It makes me feel super dumb that my GPA isn’t where it should be, so what can I do to help me get into a decent college?

mod
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to Admissions Boards!

First of all, my apologies for deleting your account. We’ve had some issues with spambots and it appears that in the process of purging a bunch of spam accounts, yours got overlooked and deleted as well. Please feel free to create a new account and accept our sincere apologies.

Now to your question. It’s easier said than done, but try not to fret about the past. You can’t change it anyway, so you might as well look ahead and figure the future will be brighter than the past if you put the effort into it.

It sounds like you are off to a good start. If you *have* to start at a two-year junior college, it won’t be the end of the world. In fact, that “clean slate” could help you leapfrog to a top school for your final two years of college.

Best of luck!

Ryker
    Participant

This site is really good and has helped me a lot. It’s definitely one of the best I’ve come across. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares