Home Forums College Admission low high school gpa

This topic contains 57 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Ryker 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

BRC1965
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Erica Silas

I have a gpa of a 2.2 I also have a 13 on the act is the any colleges that will want me as a student ? i dnt want to have to go to the milarty just to get an education

Erica Silas

I agree completely that a community college is the way you should go. A college or university is likely to eat you alive, which is not what your self-confidence needs. You might even investigate a career-path program as opposed to an academic program. Community colleges in our country are fantastic places to get your feet on the ground to move to a university, or to get the education you need for a career. Definitely give them a try!

Barbara Coats
    AdmissionsConsultants
    bcoats@admissionsconsultants.com

maestrobfl
    Participant

hi, i am a junior in high school, and i am worried about my chances of getting into NYU College of Arts and Sciences. i have a pretty low gpa of 3.0 at a difficult private school, and my sat score was a 1780, with a 660 on vocab, 650 on writing, and 470 on math. i plan on raising this to at least around the mid 1800’s (which i assume is possible since that is what i got on most practice tests). my SAT subject test scores were a 630 (in US History) and a 660 (in English Literaure). i am a part of the GSA at my school, was on yeabook for three years, and have been on the planning committees for an event or two. i have over 100 hours of community service (most of it coming from volunteering as a teacher’s aide at two local public schools), i have a black belt in tae kwon do, and have been playing piano for 9 years. i also plan on doing an internship for a local congressman, or for my senator’s reelection campaign, since i want to major in either political science or international relations. I am thinking i got around a 4 on the US History AP i took this year, and i plan on taking AP English Literature, AP US Government, and AP Human Geo during my senior year. I am honsetly pretty desperate to get into NYU; it has been my first choice in colleges for a few years now. Does anyone know how much of a chance i have for admission, and what, if anything, i can do to raise those chances? Thanks in advance for your help.

mod
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by maestrobfl

hi, i am a junior in high school, and i am worried about my chances of getting into NYU College of Arts and Sciences. i have a pretty low gpa of 3.0 at a difficult private school, and my sat score was a 1780, with a 660 on vocab, 650 on writing, and 470 on math. i plan on raising this to at least around the mid 1800’s (which i assume is possible since that is what i got on most practice tests). my SAT subject test scores were a 630 (in US History) and a 660 (in English Literaure). i am a part of the GSA at my school, was on yeabook for three years, and have been on the planning committees for an event or two. i have over 100 hours of community service (most of it coming from volunteering as a teacher’s aide at two local public schools), i have a black belt in tae kwon do, and have been playing piano for 9 years. i also plan on doing an internship for a local congressman, or for my senator’s reelection campaign, since i want to major in either political science or international relations. I am thinking i got around a 4 on the US History AP i took this year, and i plan on taking AP English Literature, AP US Government, and AP Human Geo during my senior year. I am honsetly pretty desperate to get into NYU; it has been my first choice in colleges for a few years now. Does anyone know how much of a chance i have for admission, and what, if anything, i can do to raise those chances? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi maestrobfl and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I am not an expert and have no admissions committee experience so I suggest you post this question on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread. Make sure you hit “reply to topic” when you do. They should be able to provide you with the expert advice I cannot.

Best of luck!

vane_nieves
    Participant

Hello,
    Currently I am a sophomore, and I attend one of the lowest high school in the valley.
    I am an AP/Honor student, and I am part of the AVID program.
    I participate in several clubs, and created my own successful club.
    Although,My GPA is a 3.1 overall. My freshman grades screwed me over.
    I am rank #18 out of 680 sophomores.
    I’m pondering abut whether taking any summer college courses will boost my rank as well as my GPA.
    Do you recommend anything?

P.S., I don’t really know where I am going to college.
    That’s my main issue.
    I’ll figure it out soon enough, I just want to be the best.
    Please, if you have any suggestions for me please reach me at vane_chuleta@hotmail.com

Thank you!

vanessa smith

mod
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by vane_nieves

Hello,
    Currently I am a sophomore, and I attend one of the lowest high school in the valley.
    I am an AP/Honor student, and I am part of the AVID program.
    I participate in several clubs, and created my own successful club.
    Although,My GPA is a 3.1 overall. My freshman grades screwed me over.
    I am rank #18 out of 680 sophomores.
    I’m pondering abut whether taking any summer college courses will boost my rank as well as my GPA.
    Do you recommend anything?

P.S., I don’t really know where I am going to college.
    That’s my main issue.
    I’ll figure it out soon enough, I just want to be the best.
    Please, if you have any suggestions for me please reach me at vane_chuleta@hotmail.com

Thank you!

vanessa smith

Hi vane_nieves and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I am not an expert but I believe that whether or not you spend the summer taking courses, you should use the time to build your profile as an applicant. There are many summer programs and internships that can help you diversify your overall application when you do choose a school to apply.

Best of luck!

fboyd
    Participant

I currently attend the Singapore American School in Singapore. My Father works for the US Government. I will be a Senior next year and my current GPA is around 2.6. My recent SAT score was 1850. Is there a school in Florida in which I might be able to get accepted? I plan on working as hard as I can next year to try and raise my GPA.

Frank W Boyd Jr

mod
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by fboyd

I currently attend the Singapore American School in Singapore. My Father works for the US Government. I will be a Senior next year and my current GPA is around 2.6. My recent SAT score was 1850. Is there a school in Florida in which I might be able to get accepted? I plan on working as hard as I can next year to try and raise my GPA.

Frank W Boyd Jr

Hi fboyd and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I am not an expert but I believe your GPA is going to present a bit of a challenge in regards to your chances of admission. I think that you have a good plan of raising your GPA but I would also suggest that you find a way to leverage your strengths into your application to mitigate your potential weaknesses.

Best of luck!

djdxlex
    Participant

Hi there forum, can you please help me out with my situation?

I am going to be a senior this September and my GPA is really killing me. Currently, I’m at a 2.525, but by he end of senior year, I hope to have it within the 2.7-2.9 range. My last SAT score was a 1700 (600 cr, 550 m, 550 w) and once I take the Sat again, I hope to get much higher. I really wanted to go to san diego state university, but that sems kind of outta the question. Anyways I was wondering if there are any colleges out there that I should really consider. Thanks guys!

mod
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by djdxlex

Hi there forum, can you please help me out with my situation?

I am going to be a senior this September and my GPA is really killing me. Currently, I’m at a 2.525, but by he end of senior year, I hope to have it within the 2.7-2.9 range. My last SAT score was a 1700 (600 cr, 550 m, 550 w) and once I take the Sat again, I hope to get much higher. I really wanted to go to san diego state university, but that sems kind of outta the question. Anyways I was wondering if there are any colleges out there that I should really consider. Thanks guys!

Hi djdxlex and welcome to Admissions Boards!

I am not an expert and with such limited information I cannot give you a list of schools that I believe you could be competitive at. I will suggest however, that you really focus on doing well on the SAT and creating essays and an application that will mitigate your GPA.

Best of luck!

sonia1
    Participant

i think she might get in some college with her sat score

sonia1
    Participant

i think u have a 80 percent chance to get in a college

dancer10
    Participant

hi!
    i currently have a gpa of 2.83 at the beginning of my senior year, a class rank of 30%, and a 25 on my ACT. I really want to go to a state college, or a college campus that branches off of u of minnesota. i participate in 3 sports which sometimes overlap, and volunteer at my church. is there any way i could raise my gpa by graduation and is there any chance i could get in to a state college?

thanks in advance :)

REalityCHECK
    Participant

People who attend public schools are not incompetent. The classes they take in public and private schools are usually similar. There are requirements that they need to fulfill. The only difference is that you paided a hufty amount for your daughter to get her so called education. You need to face the fact that your daughter slacked off for the past four years. We only get what we earn. No one cares how expensive her private school was. If you see kids her age getting accepted to four year universities, who attended public schools, it’s because they earned it. The truth is that you are a bitter old, rude, self elivating, unworthy, JEALOUS, corpulent, argoant punk. Why would you expect someone with a 2.5 to get into a university. Know the truth you’ve been… RealityCHECKED!

Shadowphoenix95
    Participant

I’m currently a senior at a decent high school. It is arguably the best within the district I live in, but considering overall location, that isn’t saying much. But anyways, over the last few years, I entirely goofed off. Basically screwed my entire GPA over. It now sits at a 2.8, unfortunately. I could blame it on constant infighting betwixt my parents, or whatever, but ultimately, the blame rests on me. However, I intend to go to university and not mess up this part of my life as I did the last few years. My SAT score was a 2280 (yes, it should have been higher). But anyways, the college I was looking at was the University of Kentucky. Not a prestigious school by any means, but it would suffice. I was wondering whether a better plan would be to attempt to get in, or go to a community college and attempt to bring my GPA up there. Thanks. :)

Also – did I just use betwixt?

Shadowphoenix95
    Participant

Also, forgot to mention. My schedule this year is as follows:
    AP Chemistry
    Adv. Precalculus
    AP English Literature and Composition
    AP Computer Science
    AP German
    Adv. Physics
    AP Biology
    Adv. Band

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares