Home Forums College Admission low high school gpa

This topic contains 57 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Ryker 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #34068

    swtnov22
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by bfarrell832

    i have about a 3.2 gpa right now up through mid junior year. i go to one of the best private schools in california and it has a good reputation for its excellence, but my gpa does not reflect how smart i really am. if can get above a 2000 on the SAT. what are the most respected/ best schools i can get into?
    lately i have been flipping out looking at average h.s. gpa’s getting into certain schools now and it’s getting crazy.


    Let’s suppose private school makes your gpa 0.5 higher ( could be exaggeration but let’s look for better than worse ) that would push you to 3.7, which is descent. I had around a 3.7 and I got a 2200/2400 on the SAT. I think because I had a bunch of Cs and Bs in junior yr kind pushed me back because of the decrease in grades instead of increase. I applied to johns hopkins, U. Washington St. Louis, NYU, and Carnegie Mellon, all of them accepted me except for Johns Hopkins. I got into most of UCs, so I’d say you have a chance and don’t give up. For private colleges and schools that look at GPAs relatively less, your SAT may push up into a good private school. ~ good luck

    #35049

    zup7
    Participant

    I am a High School Junior and i currently have a GPA of 2.2…. a 79 average. I want to go to a college that i can get a good computer science major in… I still have 3 semesters in High school left and i am trying very hard…. durning my freshman year i did horrible and did a little better but not great sophomore year, this semester i have 1 A 3 B 3 C and 1 D turns out to be around a 80 average, i need some advice on where to go i was thinking Auburn or Florida Tech but they have high standards, i am very worried that with my low GPA i will not be able to get into a good college… Although i have a 26 ACT and 1084 SAT out of 1600 which is a ton better then my GPA in comparison. [|)] I attend a Private Catholic High School in Roswell, GA and i have a Job and i play soccer for school and am in latin club, Second Wind dreams, Habitat for humanity. I need your guys help on where u think i can and should go or if i should go to a CC for a year and transfer???? Thanks for reading i appreciatte all the help i can get thank you. You can reach me at Zup7778@yahoo.com

    #35053

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by zup7

    I am a High School Junior and i currently have a GPA of 2.2…. a 79 average. I want to go to a college that i can get a good computer science major in… I still have 3 semesters in High school left and i am trying very hard…. durning my freshman year i did horrible and did a little better but not great sophomore year, this semester i have 1 A 3 B 3 C and 1 D turns out to be around a 80 average, i need some advice on where to go i was thinking Auburn or Florida Tech but they have high standards, i am very worried that with my low GPA i will not be able to get into a good college… Although i have a 26 ACT and 1084 SAT out of 1600 which is a ton better then my GPA in comparison. [|)] I attend a Private Catholic High School in Roswell, GA and i have a Job and i play soccer for school and am in latin club, Second Wind dreams, Habitat for humanity. I need your guys help on where u think i can and should go or if i should go to a CC for a year and transfer???? Thanks for reading i appreciatte all the help i can get thank you. You can reach me at Zup7778@yahoo.com


    Hi zup7 and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    It is always a good idea to compile a list of colleges that you want to attend and include some safety schools as a back up. I believe your SAT and grade trends over the course of high school will help mitigate your overall low GPA so I would emphasize that along with your extracurriculars in your application.

    Best of luck!

    #35147

    GibbyGibson
    Participant

    Hi i’m currently a sophmore in high school. Recently i’m been starting to worry how difficult it will be for me to get into a good college. At the moment i have a 4.06 GPA (i got 4.16 both semesters freshman year, and kind of slipped up this first semester in sophmore year, with a 3.85 GPA). When it’s all said and done, i expect to have around a 4.1 GPA. My (reasonable) goal is to go to the University of Illinois for engineering, but recently i have began to hear stories about how difficult it is to get into U of I for engineering. Normally i would feel reasonably confident about my GPA, but also just recently i have begun to realize just how many people have 4.0 or higher GPAs. I think part of it is that i go to an extremely competitive school in both academics and athletics (Naperville North…anyone?) I have several friends with 4.4-4.6 GPAs, and it seems that almost everyone has a GPA higher than 3.5. All of a sudden, my 4.1-ish is beginning to look very average to me. I have decent extracurriculars, playing in both the tennis and golf teams at school, and plan to be on varsity for junior and senior year. I also have an outside shot at making it to state for golf if i really work at my game, but don’t want to get my hopes up too high. I have lots of volunteer hours, volunteering at a hospital and as a teachers assistant at a chinese school for the weekends. However, i don’t really have anything that stands out, and i’m just afraid that even though i’m pretty solid in all areas, i don’t have a single area where i stand out, and i’m really starting to worry about if i can really make it into a great college. I want to know if my expectations for U of I engineering are probable, and if anyone else knows any good engineering schools that would be realistic for me to apply to.

    Also someone earlier said “…lately i have been flipping out looking at average h.s. gpa’s getting into certain schools …” and if someone could direct me to a site where i could see these result si would appreciate it.

    Also just as a side question, how important are SAT IIs (or subject tests, whatever they’re called now) for getting into a great college? Do most people take the maximum of 3 SAT IIs? Right now, i plan to take Math II, Physics, and Chinese, but haven’t decided anything for sure yet.

    Thanks to whoever can help me out.

    -Kevin

    #35161

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by GibbyGibson

    Hi i’m currently a sophmore in high school. Recently i’m been starting to worry how difficult it will be for me to get into a good college. At the moment i have a 4.06 GPA (i got 4.16 both semesters freshman year, and kind of slipped up this first semester in sophmore year, with a 3.85 GPA). When it’s all said and done, i expect to have around a 4.1 GPA. My (reasonable) goal is to go to the University of Illinois for engineering, but recently i have began to hear stories about how difficult it is to get into U of I for engineering. Normally i would feel reasonably confident about my GPA, but also just recently i have begun to realize just how many people have 4.0 or higher GPAs. I think part of it is that i go to an extremely competitive school in both academics and athletics (Naperville North…anyone?) I have several friends with 4.4-4.6 GPAs, and it seems that almost everyone has a GPA higher than 3.5. All of a sudden, my 4.1-ish is beginning to look very average to me. I have decent extracurriculars, playing in both the tennis and golf teams at school, and plan to be on varsity for junior and senior year. I also have an outside shot at making it to state for golf if i really work at my game, but don’t want to get my hopes up too high. I have lots of volunteer hours, volunteering at a hospital and as a teachers assistant at a chinese school for the weekends. However, i don’t really have anything that stands out, and i’m just afraid that even though i’m pretty solid in all areas, i don’t have a single area where i stand out, and i’m really starting to worry about if i can really make it into a great college. I want to know if my expectations for U of I engineering are probable, and if anyone else knows any good engineering schools that would be realistic for me to apply to.

    Also someone earlier said “…lately i have been flipping out looking at average h.s. gpa’s getting into certain schools …” and if someone could direct me to a site where i could see these result si would appreciate it.

    Also just as a side question, how important are SAT IIs (or subject tests, whatever they’re called now) for getting into a great college? Do most people take the maximum of 3 SAT IIs? Right now, i plan to take Math II, Physics, and Chinese, but haven’t decided anything for sure yet.

    Thanks to whoever can help me out.

    -Kevin


    Hi Kevin and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    Although your GPA may be considered typical at your current high school, it is certainly not in general applicant pools that are trying to gain admission to competitive colleges. I am not an expert so I do not know the typical amount of SAT II’s students take but the subject tests you suggest seem like well-rounded choices that can help you stand out if you perform well on them.

    Best of luck!

    #35321

    vickiiii
    Participant

    quote:


    Originally posted by realOG173

    to nancy – i semi believe you but if she got accepted to the hardest prep school in the state then she can’t be stupid enough to get a 2.5.. not to be mean or anything but you should be getting a 3.5+ or you are taking classes that are waayyy too hard for you. a 3.7 at the easiest school in the country looks better than a 2.5 anywhere


    thats not true. when colleges look at the grades, GPA, SAT, and ACT results, they also take notice of the classes you took, and where you went to school. they do realize that different schools teach differently. so if her daughter was truly intelligent enough to get into the college, she would. it is her fault she goofed off.

    #35332

    tommythewho
    Participant

    I’m a Senior in high school with a 3.5 GPA. I know this isn’t very high and my SAT’s didn’t help any Because I only got a 1660, but I really want to go to USC. I’ve been in student government for 3 years and I’ve been on the varsity baseball team Jr. and Sr. year and Varsity water polo (if that means anything). I realize that my GPA is hurting but do you think there is ANY possibility for me to go to the University of Southern Cali?

    Thanks

    #35333

    tommythewho
    Participant

    OH! and i forgot that ALL of my core classes (english, science, history, math) were all International Baccalaureate classes… (by they way never do that) and ive been in choir and also a select choir picked by the teacher. lol ok i’m done thanks!!

    #35343

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by tommythewho

    OH! and i forgot that ALL of my core classes (english, science, history, math) were all International Baccalaureate classes… (by they way never do that) and ive been in choir and also a select choir picked by the teacher. lol ok i’m done thanks!!


    Hi tommythewho and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    I am not an expert, but you have unique extracurricular activities that can certainly count as assets to your overall application. I believe that if you can play up these and present the admissions committee with an overall focused and strong application, then you can certainly increase your chances of admission.

    Best of luck!

    #35586

    Nina1234
    Participant

    Dear Moderator. I have a 3.4 GPA. I have Volunteered for 2 1/2 years at an art museum, for three hours every saturday. I’ve played piano for twelve years.
    I go to a private school (my parents never dared to send me to a public school… they always wanted the best and so they sent me to the eighth best private school in the country), so my GPA is waited. As in, you don’t get extra points for getting an A+ versus an A or A-. All types of A’s will be 4 points. Colleges that see the name of my school will take that into consideration.
    I am fluent in, besides my native language of English, Thai and German. I’ve also taken French for four years and Italian for two years. I also have an interesting essay that’s very dynamic about wanting to change the world and taking my chance. Let’s just say that I didn’t slack off in high school, I worked hard and didn’t goof around. I’m looking at a list of different schools. Can you tell me which ones are realistic? As in, which ones you think I’ll get into, which ones I have a 50/50 shot in, and which ones are realistic reaches? (As in, reaches that aren’t laughable and that I have a chance in)

    Tulane University
    The George Washington University
    The University of Virginia (I live in Virginia and our headmaster is friends with the president and the president of UVA comes over for a huge luncheon at our school every spring, so we do get special treatment…)
    The College of William and Mary
    The University of Chicago (my brother was there and I’m applying to a writing and languages program where almost everyone does econ, math, or science)
    The College of Charleston
    Georgetown University
    Barnard College
    The University of Richmond (my friend’s father is a board member and he’s going to write a recommendation for me)
    Vassar College
    Smith College

    #35594

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by Nina1234

    Dear Moderator. I have a 3.4 GPA. I have Volunteered for 2 1/2 years at an art museum, for three hours every saturday. I’ve played piano for twelve years.
    I go to a private school (my parents never dared to send me to a public school… they always wanted the best and so they sent me to the eighth best private school in the country), so my GPA is waited. As in, you don’t get extra points for getting an A+ versus an A or A-. All types of A’s will be 4 points. Colleges that see the name of my school will take that into consideration.
    I am fluent in, besides my native language of English, Thai and German. I’ve also taken French for four years and Italian for two years. I also have an interesting essay that’s very dynamic about wanting to change the world and taking my chance. Let’s just say that I didn’t slack off in high school, I worked hard and didn’t goof around. I’m looking at a list of different schools. Can you tell me which ones are realistic? As in, which ones you think I’ll get into, which ones I have a 50/50 shot in, and which ones are realistic reaches? (As in, reaches that aren’t laughable and that I have a chance in)

    Tulane University
    The George Washington University
    The University of Virginia (I live in Virginia and our headmaster is friends with the president and the president of UVA comes over for a huge luncheon at our school every spring, so we do get special treatment…)
    The College of William and Mary
    The University of Chicago (my brother was there and I’m applying to a writing and languages program where almost everyone does econ, math, or science)
    The College of Charleston
    Georgetown University
    Barnard College
    The University of Richmond (my friend’s father is a board member and he’s going to write a recommendation for me)
    Vassar College
    Smith College


    Hi Nina1234 and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    I am not an expert so therefore am not qualified to give you a realistic assessment of your chances to these schools. I suggest you re-post this question on the Ask AdmissionsConsultants thread. Make sure you hit “Reply to Topic” when you do. They should be able to provide you with a more expert response than I would be able to shortly.

    Best of luck!

    #35682

    Maine7779
    Participant

    Hello i am a sophmore in high school and i currently have a gpa of 1.61. Im attending summer school to help bring up my gpa because in my freshman year i did horrible. Although this year i have worked to bring up my gpa. I am active in Jrotc dril team, color guard team and rifle team. Im also on the swim and track team and im a member of the community service project buildon. I was wondering by my senior year is it possible for me to raise my gpa high enough for me to go to Msu or Grandvalley state university?

    Me!!

    #35688

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by Maine7779

    Hello i am a sophmore in high school and i currently have a gpa of 1.61. Im attending summer school to help bring up my gpa because in my freshman year i did horrible. Although this year i have worked to bring up my gpa. I am active in Jrotc dril team, color guard team and rifle team. Im also on the swim and track team and im a member of the community service project buildon. I was wondering by my senior year is it possible for me to raise my gpa high enough for me to go to Msu or Grandvalley state university?

    Me!!


    Hi Maine7779 and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    I am not an expert or familiar with the admissions criteria for the schools you listed here, but I will say that your GPA is going to have to significantly improve in order to gain admission into a competitive university. Your extracurricular activities seem impressive, but you may want to hone in on the ones that you feel the most passionate about and talk about those somewhere in your application in order to communicate focus.

    Best of luck!

    #35715

    Erica Silas
    Participant

    I have a gpa of a 2.2 I also have a 13 on the act is the any colleges that will want me as a student ? i dnt want to have to go to the milarty just to get an education

    Erica Silas

    #35721

    mod
    Keymaster

    quote:


    Originally posted by Erica Silas

    I have a gpa of a 2.2 I also have a 13 on the act is the any colleges that will want me as a student ? i dnt want to have to go to the milarty just to get an education

    Erica Silas


    Hi Erica_Silas and welcome to Admissions Boards!

    I am not an expert but with only this small amount of information I believe it is really going to be a challenge to get into a competitive university with your stats. Although much is contingent upon your essays, letters of recommendation and overall application, you may want to consider starting off at a community college, boosting your GPA and then transferring.

    Best of luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares