Home Forums College Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,200 replies, has 520 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,201 total)
  • Author

I’m international and wanted to know if it’s possible to apply to top schools with deadlines in less then 2 months. What do I need to do besides take the SAT?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

In addition to taking the SAT, you will also need to assemble well-written essays that tell a cohesive story when combined with your activity statement, letters of reference and any other materials you may need. You’re welcome to call us to discuss your prospective candidacy in more detail and we’re happy to offer you a complimentary assessment of your profile.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

Biance
    Participant

How do I account for short term activities that werent’ really for an extracurricular group? All my schools use the common app so that’s what I need to focus on.

How do I account for short term activities that werent’ really for an extracurricular group? All my schools use the common app so that’s what I need to focus on.

Hi Biance and thanks for your inquiry.

Create a “Volunteer Experience” heading and group all of them under it.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Elaine Cox
    Participant

How much will NHS membership help my college applications?

How much will NHS membership help my college applications?

Hi Elaine and thanks for your inquiry.

Membership in NHS is impressive and you have every right to be proud of this great accomplishment. By itself, it can provide you with a bit of an advantage but, ultimately, your college admissions success will come down to how you leverage this with the rest of your selected story themes and wow factors? I’m sure that must seem pretty vague but I only have very limited information in your post.

Please don’t hesitate to call us at 1.800.809.0800 to discuss your candidacy in much more detail. We’re proud to offer complimentary assessments.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

drowland98
    Participant

My son has very good grades and test scores. He applied only to the good schools and was not admitted to any. He is going to have a surgery and apply again this fall with an expanded list. What should he do during the gap year to improve his chances?

My son has very good grades and test scores. He applied only to the good schools and was not admitted to any. He is going to have a surgery and apply again this fall with an expanded list. What should he do during the gap year to improve his chances?

First of all, you’re welcome to call us at 1.800.809.0800 for a complimentary assessment and we can cover a lot more details than this discussion board format allows.

That said, if he’s taking a gap year, encourage him to further explore his interests, address any weaknesses in his applications that could have led to the rejections and apply to a broader range of schools this coming fall.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

amanda pao
    Participant

Hi David,

My son is a junior and we’re really struggling with identifying appropriate schools. What do you suggest we do to keep our family from coming unglued?

Sincerely,

Amanda Pao

Hi David,

My son is a junior and we’re really struggling with identifying appropriate schools. What do you suggest we do to keep our family from coming unglued?

Sincerely,

Amanda Pao

Hi Amanda and thanks for your inquiry.

There’s no doubt the entire process can be stressful and I assure you we empathize with your family’s situation. We see it many times each year with the families that come to us. My advice would be to start with using some broad criteria to begin narrowing down the large number of options and also to start visiting campuses. This process often takes some time, so try to ensure the rest of the family is made aware of the need for some patience. And, of course, you’re welcome to call us at 1.800.809.0800 to discuss all of this in more detail.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Valentina Peach
    Participant

Hi David,

My son is very interested in medical school. His grades and activities are strong but he is weak on standardized tests. How can you help him with the SAT and ACT?

Thank you so much.

Valentina

Hi David,

My son is very interested in medical school. His grades and activities are strong but he is weak on standardized tests. How can you help him with the SAT and ACT?

Thank you so much.

Valentina

Hi Valentina and thanks for your inquiry.

We’re an admissions consultancy and not a test prep company, but we’re happy to talk to you and/or your son and discuss how to determine which test will be best for him and give you some guidance on selecting between self study, a tutor and prep course. Call us at 1.800.809.0800. We keep evening and weekend hours by appointment.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Stacie
    Participant

My son took 2 AP classes in 10th, applied late to 3 AP classes for 11th (was ill during sign-up period) and only got into 1, and requested 4 APs for upcoming 12th (trying to increase his # of APs). He will have AP classes in English, Psychology, Physics, and Economics in 12th, plus Genetics/Anatomy courses . He had completed 4 yrs of math, and struggled a bit with pre-calc last year, so didn’t sign up for Calculus. He was told by an admissions office that, as a pre-med track applicant, he should have Calc on his transcript. This would mean adding a challenging course to an already heavy workload, plus he has heavy time commitments for his Varsity sports and NHS roles. The only course he could drop as it is not a subject requirement would be the AP Physics, which is a subject he is strong in and is very interested in. Would you advise adding Calculus (his weaker subject) under these circumstances? If yes, would you advise dropping a stronger Physics course and reduce the # of APs, or keep them both and have a longer day and more assignments to manage after sports practice?

My son took 2 AP classes in 10th, applied late to 3 AP classes for 11th (was ill during sign-up period) and only got into 1, and requested 4 APs for upcoming 12th (trying to increase his # of APs). He will have AP classes in English, Psychology, Physics, and Economics in 12th, plus Genetics/Anatomy courses . He had completed 4 yrs of math, and struggled a bit with pre-calc last year, so didn’t sign up for Calculus. He was told by an admissions office that, as a pre-med track applicant, he should have Calc on his transcript. This would mean adding a challenging course to an already heavy workload, plus he has heavy time commitments for his Varsity sports and NHS roles. The only course he could drop as it is not a subject requirement would be the AP Physics, which is a subject he is strong in and is very interested in. Would you advise adding Calculus (his weaker subject) under these circumstances? If yes, would you advise dropping a stronger Physics course and reduce the # of APs, or keep them both and have a longer day and more assignments to manage after sports practice?

Hi Stacie and thanks for your inquiry.

It’s a bit of a personal call. If he feels he can find the sustained energy to manage his course work and extracurriculars, then pick up the extra AP class. If not, I’d encourage him to drop a different AP class than Physics since a strong score in this subject can help alleviate some of the concern about his quant skills. Doing well in AP Calculus could help mitigate many of the concerns surrounding his pre calc grade. Additionally, He will most likely have to take calculus in college, so the increased high school exposure to the subject can benefit him that way as well.

It sounds like he may want to consider finding a calculus tutor and/or getting a bit of a head start on the subject matter over the summer. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 1.800.809.0800 to discuss your son’s situation in more detail.

Best of luck with your son’ applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

layneJ
    Participant

Hello, I am in a very bad predicament when it come to getting into the college I want and I have no idea what else I can do besides trying to score a higher sat to increase my chances of not being a victim to my situation. I moved to the U.S in June last year from the Caribbean and while I did expect problems with entering school, I have had a worse experience than anticipated. When I arrived and attempted to enter the school in my area it did not do justice to my grades as the systems for grading in america are much different than where I come from, I ended up with a GPA of 2.7 at the start of junior year. I entered but I knew this was an extremely bad representation of my abilities but my Caribbean school was not very helpful at all despite being the top high-school on my island.
    I had no idea at the time how this hindered my entire year nor did I know how much it affects applying for college as it is very different than my country. I had no idea what an AP class was nor Honors as I am new to all of this so I put my trust into my counselor who basically just asked me what I want to become (a doctor) and she helped me pick some classes so that I can do new York regents required for my graduation and classes for health such as biology, human anatomy and health. I had no AP or honors classes nor did I know what they are, in my first week of school I noticed something horribly wrong which was the fact that every class seemed horribly easy to me. After an incident in my bio class my bio teacher realized I was not fit for academic biology and gave me the choice to transfer up to honors biology. That was when I first found out that honors and AP existed, I jumped into honors bio and it was not a smooth transition because school was about two weeks in already and the bio honors had started labs etc. My weird grades from the Caribbean (they mark very different and test different) was a cause for me being unable to enter harder courses and I now have nothing in those categories to show a college that I am a good investment for their resources.
    I have taken the SAT but I have a score less than comfortable for my college choice, I will not make an excuse because I know it will not change what a college sees. To give context of the type of person I am to show I am not just blindly ranting I have a little example: My human anatomy class holds a quiz where you memorize bones and the pieces and then you orally point and name them to the teacher. He allows bonus points for learning pieces not on the list of about 123 we needed to learn from joints, appendicular and axial skeleton. I Learnt almost every bone on the body to push my limits and add to my personal knowledge. From sutures, foramen and tuberosities to arches, surfaces and bones I had learned them all. I had beat the past record and gotten the highest in the 20 years of my teachers career and all current human anatomy teachers. I had so much bonus points that I would have 100% for the next 3 quizzes if I did not take them but I still took them and scored 100 on all by choice.
    If a college would only look at my junior year GPA and not add that insult to my character I received from my home country I would have around 3.7 but I am unsure whether colleges look at cumulative GPA alone or consider drastic changes like my junior year GPA. The college I would like to attend does not require interview so I probably can’t explain my situation to them. If I can then I don’t know because college admissions is so confusing, I really need help to get into the college I want because my sat score is not very high and my Caribbean GPA cause me to be unable to get AP classes and it brings down my cumulative. On top of that I am unsure if I can enter activities I did in the Caribbean for application to the colleges, I rarely got anything done in this year in america besides wining a local oratory contest, volunteering for clean up of an event and raising money to support the event.
    I am shadowing health professionals and volunteering at a hospital this summer and that is just about it. Another thing is that I can’t drive nor have I ever had a job because where I come from that is something you start doing at 18 and only after high-school (cultural not law) so I have no work experience(i also in general prefer to volunteer for work). Please I need every bit of help to understand this college application process and any ideas to help me get where I need to be not where my past school had put me. Adopting to an entire new life here in the land of freedom has also been affecting me this year yet I have done excellent in my classes. I am sorry if I am asking the impossible, but thank-you for any help at all I get.

Hello, I am in a very bad predicament when it come to getting into the college I want and I have no idea what else I can do besides trying to score a higher sat to increase my chances of not being a victim to my situation. I moved to the U.S in June last year from the Caribbean and while I did expect problems with entering school, I have had a worse experience than anticipated. When I arrived and attempted to enter the school in my area it did not do justice to my grades as the systems for grading in america are much different than where I come from, I ended up with a GPA of 2.7 at the start of junior year. I entered but I knew this was an extremely bad representation of my abilities but my Caribbean school was not very helpful at all despite being the top high-school on my island.
    I had no idea at the time how this hindered my entire year nor did I know how much it affects applying for college as it is very different than my country. I had no idea what an AP class was nor Honors as I am new to all of this so I put my trust into my counselor who basically just asked me what I want to become (a doctor) and she helped me pick some classes so that I can do new York regents required for my graduation and classes for health such as biology, human anatomy and health. I had no AP or honors classes nor did I know what they are, in my first week of school I noticed something horribly wrong which was the fact that every class seemed horribly easy to me. After an incident in my bio class my bio teacher realized I was not fit for academic biology and gave me the choice to transfer up to honors biology. That was when I first found out that honors and AP existed, I jumped into honors bio and it was not a smooth transition because school was about two weeks in already and the bio honors had started labs etc. My weird grades from the Caribbean (they mark very different and test different) was a cause for me being unable to enter harder courses and I now have nothing in those categories to show a college that I am a good investment for their resources.
    I have taken the SAT but I have a score less than comfortable for my college choice, I will not make an excuse because I know it will not change what a college sees. To give context of the type of person I am to show I am not just blindly ranting I have a little example: My human anatomy class holds a quiz where you memorize bones and the pieces and then you orally point and name them to the teacher. He allows bonus points for learning pieces not on the list of about 123 we needed to learn from joints, appendicular and axial skeleton. I Learnt almost every bone on the body to push my limits and add to my personal knowledge. From sutures, foramen and tuberosities to arches, surfaces and bones I had learned them all. I had beat the past record and gotten the highest in the 20 years of my teachers career and all current human anatomy teachers. I had so much bonus points that I would have 100% for the next 3 quizzes if I did not take them but I still took them and scored 100 on all by choice.
    If a college would only look at my junior year GPA and not add that insult to my character I received from my home country I would have around 3.7 but I am unsure whether colleges look at cumulative GPA alone or consider drastic changes like my junior year GPA. The college I would like to attend does not require interview so I probably can’t explain my situation to them. If I can then I don’t know because college admissions is so confusing, I really need help to get into the college I want because my sat score is not very high and my Caribbean GPA cause me to be unable to get AP classes and it brings down my cumulative. On top of that I am unsure if I can enter activities I did in the Caribbean for application to the colleges, I rarely got anything done in this year in america besides wining a local oratory contest, volunteering for clean up of an event and raising money to support the event.
    I am shadowing health professionals and volunteering at a hospital this summer and that is just about it. Another thing is that I can’t drive nor have I ever had a job because where I come from that is something you start doing at 18 and only after high-school (cultural not law) so I have no work experience(i also in general prefer to volunteer for work). Please I need every bit of help to understand this college application process and any ideas to help me get where I need to be not where my past school had put me. Adopting to an entire new life here in the land of freedom has also been affecting me this year yet I have done excellent in my classes. I am sorry if I am asking the impossible, but thank-you for any help at all I get.

First of all, you have the right attitude about working hard and not focusing on excuses. With the proper application spin and some good ACT/SAT prep, you should be able to get into a decent college. If you do well there you should have the option to transfer to a higher-ranked college to complete your education.

You’re certainly welcome to call us to discuss your situation in more detail.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares