Home Forums College Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,200 replies, has 520 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 1,201 total)
  • Author

Caroline Martin
    Participant

Hi

Our son wants to ultimately attend medical school. To save money were considering starting him at community college. We understand grades are easier at the community college. If he gets the higher grades, will the medical schools see that as compensation for the easier curriculum?

Thanks,

Caroline Martin

Hi

Our son wants to ultimately attend medical school. To save money were considering starting him at community college. We understand grades are easier at the community college. If he gets the higher grades, will the medical schools see that as compensation for the easier curriculum?

Thanks,

Caroline Martin

Hi Caroline and thanks for your inquiry.

As a general rule of thumb, the medical schools look more favorably upon applicants who completed their complete undergraduate education at a 4-year college.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

Asha Sukapatna
    Participant

Hi David,

When is a good time to start prepping a student for the SAT? My oldest will be a freshman this fall.

Thank you,

Asha Sukapatna

Hi David,

When is a good time to start prepping a student for the SAT? My oldest will be a freshman this fall.

Thank you,

Asha Sukapatna

Hi Asha and thanks for your inquiry.

I wouldn’t start any type of standardized test prep until at least a few months before the PSAT out of concern for burnout. For right now, I’d encourage your student to read voraciously and take challenging math classes.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Khairal Ali
    Participant

Hello David,

We feel our child is very bright and can succeed at an Ivy League school such as Harvard or Stanford. Should we invest in a prestigious boarding school for high school if we don’t like the public school system?

Best regards,

Khairal Ali

Hello David,

We feel our child is very bright and can succeed at an Ivy League school such as Harvard or Stanford. Should we invest in a prestigious boarding school for high school if we don’t like the public school system?

Best regards,

Khairal Ali

Hi Khairal and thanks for your inquiry.

The decision to select a boarding school is a personal one. If I’m simply wearing my ‘admissions hat,’ an applicant who does equally well at most public schools has about the same chances of acceptance at a top school as an applicant who attended a prestigious boarding school.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Raju K
    Participant

I’m signed up for the ACT next month. Any tips you can share?

I’m signed up for the ACT next month. Any tips you can share?

Hi Raju and thanks for your inquiry.

The first tip would be to spend adequate time on your preparation and try to take the ACT only once. You’re welcome to peruse our ACT book reviews and you are certainly welcome to call us to discuss what score you might need to aim for given your target schools and advice on whether you may benefit the most from self study, a prep course or private tutoring.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Saurav Daha
    Participant

Hi David.

My goal is to do very well the next 2 years and transfer to a top college. Right now I need to decide between a local 2 year college and a local 4 year college. Should I choose the 2 year college so I can save more money?

Thanks,

Saurav

Hi David.

My goal is to do very well the next 2 years and transfer to a top college. Right now I need to decide between a local 2 year college and a local 4 year college. Should I choose the 2 year college so I can save more money?

Thanks,

Saurav

Hi Saurav and thanks for your inquiry.

As a general rule of thumb, we generally recommend the more rigorous school. So, everything else being equal of course, we normally recommend the four-year college when the goal is to transfer to a top college.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Sonny Ferreira
    Participant

Our son is a good student and a pretty hard worker. But he has no idea what he wants to do career wise. He’s going to be a junior in high school. What profile tests do you recommend?

Our son is a good student and a pretty hard worker. But he has no idea what he wants to do career wise. He’s going to be a junior in high school. What profile tests do you recommend?

Hi Sonny and thanks for your inquiry.

Unless the lack of career direction is really stressing him and affecting his focus and studies, we don’t usually focus much on it and, instead, examine the non major fit factors for shortlisting schools. It’s very common for teenagers (and adults too for that matter!) to change their career focuses. In fact, unless the student has a very specific career focus (such as ship captain) that needs to be vetted because of its impact on school selection, we often advise clients to apply to various schools with the “major undeclared” box checked. (In most instances, the application box selected for major will not impact the admission chances.)

But back to your original question, if you are still looking for advice on career assessment tools, the ones we normally find most helpful are Naviance and Aptitude-Test.com.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Sandeep Bhardwaj
    Participant

Sir,

I have too many schools on my list. I can not afford to visit them all and need help. I want cold winters, small class sizes and the best education to help me with PhD. I am topper in class and have 1510 SAT with 790 quant.

My list is

Amherst
    Bates
    Bowdoin
    Brown
    Carleton
    Colgate
    College of Holy Cross
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    Hamilton
    Macalester
    Middlebury
    Oberlin
    Union
    Vassar
    WEsleyan
    Williams

Which should I be applying since I can’t apply to all?

Sir,

I have too many schools on my list. I can not afford to visit them all and need help. I want cold winters, small class sizes and the best education to help me with PhD. I am topper in class and have 1510 SAT with 790 quant.

My list is

Amherst
    Bates
    Bowdoin
    Brown
    Carleton
    Colgate
    College of Holy Cross
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    Hamilton
    Macalester
    Middlebury
    Oberlin
    Union
    Vassar
    WEsleyan
    Williams

Which should I be applying since I can’t apply to all?

Hi Sandeep and thanks for your inquiry.

It looks like you have plenty of motivation and are starting to feel the ‘crunch’ of the application process. Having a lengthy list can actually be a great starting point if you’ve put some time and effort into it as well as defining the criteria most important in your decision making process.

I strongly encourage you to keep the following questions in mind as you move forward:

1. What are the most important traits in a college for you?
    2. Do you understand the potential tradeoff you may be making at each school regarding your fit?
    3. What do you want to get out of your college experience?
    4. Did you adequately research the campus culture and do you understand how that will impact your experience?
    5. What are your motivating factors?

As you ponder these questions remember that just as you are evaluating the schools, they, too, are evaluating you as they make their admission decisions.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you want to discuss your profile in more detail. We have worked with thousands of applicants in similar situations and can help you make your college admissions process successful as well.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

voodoo yam
    Participant

I’m international and wanted to know if it’s possible to apply to top schools with deadlines in less then 2 months. What do I need to do besides take the SAT?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares