Home Forums Medical School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,420 total)
  • Author
    rworkman
    Participant

Please see the response I posted under another thread.

RW

quote:

Originally posted by menkelm

I graduated from Vanderbilt University in 2001 with a 3.34 GPA. I did not take any pre-med science courses at the time because I had not considered entering the medical profession. I now live in Las Vegas and I will be taking all of the necessary pre-med science courses this fall at UNLV. I have not had any years of volunteering in the medical field. What can you suggest that I should do that would help me get into the top medical schools? Any and all comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

rworkman
    Participant

Your background is very compelling, and if presented properly in your applications it would mitigate much of your poor record from UIC. In short, you overcame the obstacles in your way and have excelled. You now have a good GPA and MCAT. Your age is not going to hurt your chances.

Much will depend upon what you say in your essays – you will need to show the admissions committees that you have matured and excelled. If you do this successfully, your chances are good.

We would be happy to assist you in this process. If you would like to discuss having an admissions consultant work with you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
    RW

quote:

Originally posted by KeeblerElf

Dear experts:
    I am 26yo and am attending Loyola University at Chicago. I have a few concerns/questions about my chances of getting accepted into any medical school:

I will be 28yo when I graduate college from Loyola. Is this a not-so-good thing for medical schools?

Also, I went to another university (UIC)prior to Loyola, and I did terribly: I got a few F’s and even got kicked out of the university for not doing well. I was a “ward of the state” child and it was very tough to make it on my own after high school because I did not have family or financial support. Anyway, after I got kicked out, I went to a community college and got my act together as I got straight A’s in all my courses! I applied to Loyola Univeristy and showed them all my past transcripts(UIC & Community College) and was easily accepted. I was even offered 2 scholarships because of my GPA from Oakton Comm. College. Now this is all great, and I am happy yet concerned that because medical schools are competitive, they will hold my UIC past transcripts against me. I am doing quite well at Loyola maintaining a 3.7 GPA and have a 30 on my MCAT. I know you cannot tell me if I will be able to get into medical school, but could you tell me if I have good odds? Should I put in the effort and money?? I considered other career fields but none has interested ever so much like Medicine. I have a great interest in it. I feels it’s a calling=)

Thanks for taking time out to read my essay here.
    Keebler Elf

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

doctor2be
    Participant

Dear Admissions Consultant Staff…

I am contemplating greatly between an MD and DO degree.

I’ve posted my question on another thread regarding my credentials, and “thymol blue” made a solid point.

I am not quite sure if I should just pursue the path as a DO, or re-take the MCAT and go for a MD degree.

I’ve heard many claims that DO’s are in the second-tier for residencies. Because I plan to specialize and not go into primary care, this brings up many uncertainies and concerns.

I realize that DO is a minority group, but equivalent to a MD degree.
    However, I am also aware that MD is the mainstream medicine at this time. Especially, after reading the post made by “cerebral” (4th year DO student) I wanted to get your feedback based upon your experience in the medical industry.

Also, I wanted to convey my sincere gratitude for all your replies on this web site. Your valuable comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Doctor2be

rworkman
    Participant

Let me begin by saying that I have known many MDs who were not good doctors, and many DOs who were – and vice versa. Let me also say that allopathic schools by no means have a monopoly on the solid education of physicians. Frankly, you already possess most of what goes into being a good physician the first day you show up for medical school…the rest is just making the knowledge available to you. My point here is that regardless of where you go, allopathic or osteopathic, the approach YOU have to your studies will be the determining factor in your future success.

Except for the really rare bird, your patients will not know the difference between a DO and MD degree. You will simply be their “doctor” and appropriately so.

I think, however, that it would be fair to say that, on balance, an average student at an allopathic school would likely have more career opportunities/flexibility than an average student at an osteopathic school – mainly because there are so many more allopathic medical schools/medical centers in existence. If you excel at either type of school, you will very likely have most doors open to you.

Ultimately, I cannot answer the question of which school is right for you because I don’t know you…. you have to decide based on who you are, where you want to live, the sort of medicine you want to practice, the importance of “prestige” in the name of your school, etc. Your “gut feeling” is also invaluable in this entire process. If I’ve learned anything in my own experience and in assisting those in your situation, it’s to realize the wisdom of your gut!

Let us know if we can be of further, more specific, assistance.

Best regards,

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Adruidan
    Participant

Hi, I have a few questions on whether I should be worried about which Medical School I go to. I have recently been accepted by a mid-level medical school, but I have a few first-tier medical schools on my mind. I have had very few interviews, albeit I did apply to relatively difficult schools. I graduated from Whitman College in Washington and took a year off to spend some time with my little brother because his father died recently. My undergraduate information is:

3.897 Cumulative GPA
    3.975 Science GPA
    29Q MCAT Score (10V, 9P, 10B)
    I have 1 year of research and I wrote an honor’s thesis that will be parially published soon. I have worked in the medical field for nearly 2 years now and have volunteered at both of the hospitals in my hometown, and am currently volunteering at both while working two jobs at medically based facilities.

First, why do you think I have received few interviews? The schools I am most interested in are the University of Washington, OHSU, UCSF, Rochester, Emory, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, and John’s Hopkins. However, I have received interviews from only one at this point and have been rejected by two. Moreover, I did not study for my MCATs, and did take it in August of 2003, so I am late in the application cycle and know I can do better. Should I study up, retake them, reject my acceptance to the mid-level school, and reapply?? I am going to be 23 in April. Also, what do you think of Jefferson, Creighton, U of Maryland medical schools?

rworkman
    Participant

I understand your frustrations. Inscrutable is an ideal word to describe the thinking that goes on when admissions committees convene. I simply don’t know why you haven’t been more favorably received. Your grades are excellent, and your MCAT, while not stellar, is certainly respectable. So much more than GPA and MCAT go into the process, so I can’t comment on what I don’t know about (essays, personal experiences, etc.). A significant issue, I’m afraid, is that you are a fairly typical applicant at the high-powered schools to which you’ve applied.

My advice would be to go where you are accepted rather than sit out a year simply because you didn’t get in at a particular school. No question about it. You will not have doors closed to you if you excel at any of the schools you mention. It is much better to be an exceptional student at “middle tier university x” than be a mediocre student at “top tier school y.” Jefferson, Creighton, and Maryland are all fine schools.

Best of luck,

quote:

Originally posted by Adruidan

Hi, I have a few questions on whether I should be worried about which Medical School I go to. I have recently been accepted by a mid-level medical school, but I have a few first-tier medical schools on my mind. I have had very few interviews, albeit I did apply to relatively difficult schools. I graduated from Whitman College in Washington and took a year off to spend some time with my little brother because his father died recently. My undergraduate information is:

3.897 Cumulative GPA
    3.975 Science GPA
    29Q MCAT Score (10V, 9P, 10B)
    I have 1 year of research and I wrote an honor’s thesis that will be parially published soon. I have worked in the medical field for nearly 2 years now and have volunteered at both of the hospitals in my hometown, and am currently volunteering at both while working two jobs at medically based facilities.

First, why do you think I have received few interviews? The schools I am most interested in are the University of Washington, OHSU, UCSF, Rochester, Emory, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, and John’s Hopkins. However, I have received interviews from only one at this point and have been rejected by two. Moreover, I did not study for my MCATs, and did take it in August of 2003, so I am late in the application cycle and know I can do better. Should I study up, retake them, reject my acceptance to the mid-level school, and reapply?? I am going to be 23 in April. Also, what do you think of Jefferson, Creighton, U of Maryland medical schools?

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Adruidan
    Participant

I just got into the University of Washington too, which one should I go to, Creighton or the University of Washington? UW is ranked much more highly, but from what I saw at Creighton, it’s more condusive to a learning atmosphere–nice middle sized town with a very cooperative student body rather than competitive like UW. I know it is ultimately up to me, but I want to know what everyone thinks. Also, from what I know about Creighton, 85% of the residencies obtained are from a very large alumni network, and are suppossedly amongst some of the more prestigous residencies in the nation. I don’t know if that is just Creighton’s propaganda, or if it is really as good as they say. UW is also cheaper, but I am more worried about the education I will receive and the residency opportunities I will have rather than my after-school debt.

rworkman
    Participant

I can’t make this decision for you. Washington is much more heavily involved in research. Seattle is very different from Omaha. The differences continue…. I have noticed in your remarks that you seem to have a soft spot for Creighton – it is a fine school. UW has a fine match record for its students. It all boils down to what is most important to you.

Personally, I would go where I felt I would receive excellent education at a reasonable price with family nearby. Again, my opinion really doesn’t matter, though.

You can’t lose either way.

quote:

Originally posted by Adruidan

I just got into the University of Washington too, which one should I go to, Creighton or the University of Washington? UW is ranked much more highly, but from what I saw at Creighton, it’s more condusive to a learning atmosphere–nice middle sized town with a very cooperative student body rather than competitive like UW. I know it is ultimately up to me, but I want to know what everyone thinks. Also, from what I know about Creighton, 85% of the residencies obtained are from a very large alumni network, and are suppossedly amongst some of the more prestigous residencies in the nation. I don’t know if that is just Creighton’s propaganda, or if it is really as good as they say. UW is also cheaper, but I am more worried about the education I will receive and the residency opportunities I will have rather than my after-school debt.

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

KeeblerElf
    Participant

hello
    I keep hearing about how an MD and a DO are interchangeable..at least in the DO to MD direction.

My orthopedic surgeon graduated from an Osteopathic medical school (chicago college of osteopathic medicine). But his business cards and hospital staff label him (in writing) as “Dr. such and such M.D.”—NOT D.O.
    How is that possible?
    Is it possible for a DO student to become M.D.?
    I know D.O.’s usually become primary docs..but this guy is an orthopedic surgeon.

I am contemplating an allopathic school but I was curious anyway about the D.O.

Thanks
    Nate

rworkman
    Participant

This is very interesting. I can only speculate, but perhaps he is doing this to avoid any confusion on the part of his patients? Rather than focus on what is on his business card, look at what is on his diploma/license/certifications/etc…. if you ever get the chance.

Best regards,

quote:

hello
    I keep hearing about how an MD and a DO are interchangeable..at least in the DO to MD direction.

My orthopedic surgeon graduated from an Osteopathic medical school (chicago college of osteopathic medicine). But his business cards and hospital staff label him (in writing) as “Dr. such and such M.D.”—NOT D.O.
    How is that possible?
    I know D.O.’s usually become primary docs..but this guy is an orthopedic surgeon.

Thanks
    Nate

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

Furious George
    Participant

Dear all,

I will graduating soon,and I’m quite worry about my future. I’m hoping to enter a US med school. I have crappy gpa’s, but still, if possible, be a doctor. Here’s my profile.

University of Toronto, Canada
    Speicalist in Molecular Biology
    Cum. GPA 3.25
    Science GPA 3.3
    Volunteered at the ER for two years
    Fluent in Chinese and English

I will do the MCAT this summer.
    Basically, what are my chances of accpetance? And what MCAT score should I shoot for?

I’m also considering doing a 18 month co-op MBA if I don’t get in the med schools. Will a MBA increase my chances of accpetance?

Or should I just forget about becoming a doc

Thanx in advance

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Originally posted by rworkman

This is very interesting. I can only speculate, but perhaps he is doing this to avoid any confusion on the part of his patients? Rather than focus on what is on his business card, look at what is on his diploma/license/certifications/etc…. if you ever get the chance.

Best regards,

quote:

hello

How is that possible?

Thanks
    Nate

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

With all due respect Dr. Workman, doesn’t that seem crazy in today’s litigous society or am I just missing something here? (Let’s assume your conjecture is correct and he is doing this to avoid confusion.)

rworkman
    Participant

Dear Furious,

Acceptance to medical school depends upon too many factors to assess your chances based on GPA alone. I can say that your performance on the MCAT will be critical, and you should shoot for a score of at least 30.

Aside from the quantitative aspects (GPA/MCAT), who you are, what you’ve done in life, and how well you express yourself in your essays will also play an important part in your candidacy.

It’s good to have a “plan B,” and it sounds as if a business path is yours. Having an MBA will likely be neutral as far as medical school admission is concerned.

Best regards,

quote:

Originally posted by Furious George

Dear all,

I will graduating soon,and I’m quite worry about my future. I’m hoping to enter a US med school. I have crappy gpa’s, but still, if possible, be a doctor. Here’s my profile.

University of Toronto, Canada
    Speicalist in Molecular Biology
    Cum. GPA 3.25
    Science GPA 3.3
    Volunteered at the ER for two years
    Fluent in Chinese and English

I will do the MCAT this summer.
    Basically, what are my chances of accpetance? And what MCAT score should I shoot for?

I’m also considering doing a 18 month co-op MBA if I don’t get in the med schools. Will a MBA increase my chances of accpetance?

Or should I just forget about becoming a doc

Thanx in advance

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

rworkman
    Participant

I am baffled by this, and it is unwise for a medical professional to claim to be something s/he is not. As for this person’s motives… since I speak from a position of responsibility on this board and all I’m doing is speculating, I choose to err on the side of honest motives.

quote:

Originally posted by morty

quote:

Originally posted by rworkman

Best regards,

quote:

hello

How is that possible?

Thanks
    Nate

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

With all due respect Dr. Workman, doesn’t that seem crazy in today’s litigous society or am I just missing something here? (Let’s assume your conjecture is correct and he is doing this to avoid confusion.)

Ron Workman, MD
    AdmissionsConsultants
    (703) 242-5885

reg34
    Participant

I have previously applied to medical school, but I did not get again. Right now I am in a Master’s of Public Health program, but after this is done I want to apply to medical school again. I feel that my undergraduate GPA (3.25) was a factor before in me not getting in, because my MCAT (30) seemed pretty competitive. I was wondering if a MPH will benefit me in the application process, or will it show my dedication to the health field? Also, I am involved with more research and a possible publication while in graduate school, so hopefully that will improve my chances. Basically, I just wanted to know how medical schools viewed MPH’s.
    Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.