Home Forums Medical School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 5 posts - 2,416 through 2,420 (of 2,420 total)
  • Author
    wshelton
    Participant

Hi Suninmyeyez,
    Thanks for your inquiry. It’s hard to say if retaking the MCAT is a good idea. There is no guarantee that you will get a better score–there is always the chance your score will go down. Moreover, allopathic schools are highly competitive as you know, so there is no way to know what difference an additional point or two increase will make. Your GPA, school, major, extracurriculars, etc. have to be factored in too. If I had to say without knowing more about your situation, I would generally advise to not take the MCAT a third time. But if you would like a more thorough assessment of your situation, you might consider signing up for a one hour consultation so we could look at your situation in greater detail.
    Hope this helps.
    Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

Kayshawn Sorro
    Participant

I have withdrawn from organic chemistry two times due to personal reasons. How will this effect my chances of getting into a US allopathic medical school?

Thank you for your prompt answer.

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Kayshawn,
    Thanks for your question. It’s impossible to answer your question fully without knowing about a lot more about other relevant factors in considering your competitiveness for medical school admission. However, I can say that, generally speaking, having two “W’s” in organic chemistry on your transcript is a negative. But it’s not necessarily a deal breaker if you have enough other positive factors. If you want to go medical school, I strongly encourage you to take this course at your home university and get this requirement behind you. Hope this helps.
    Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com google +

nobles
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

I’m 27. I got a bachelors in marketing and have been working in sales. My GPA was only about 3.0. I now have Crohn’s disease and have become very interested in pursuing medical school. If I do well in the premed classes, would the schools overlook my earlier grades?

Thank you so much for your help!

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Nobles,

Thank you for your question. There is more involved in preparing for medical school application than doing well academically in premed classes, though that is important too. My advice would be to start doing some volunteer work in the medical setting and see if you like being about patients and caring for them. If so, then take a science class and see how you do. If you are enjoying volunteering and learning science, then at that point it would make sense to enter a full time postbac program to complete your premed requirements. It’s a long haul and never ending work. But if you think if might be for you, you should take the first step to try it out. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 5 posts - 2,416 through 2,420 (of 2,420 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.