Home Forums Medical School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 2,417 replies, has 939 voices, and was last updated by  wshelton 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,386 through 2,400 (of 2,418 total)
  • Author

red9er
    Participant

Hi Dr Shelton,

I have 2 DUIs. Do I have to disclose this? If not, will this hamper my ability to get my medical license after school?

Many thanks!

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Red9er,
    Thanks for your question. Over the years, my advice to applicants has been to take ownership of one’s past and answer questions honestly. Look at what the question asks you to do and do your best to answer it honestly. If you get into medical school, do well, and complete a residency, and have no more violations, none of this will be a factor.
    Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

yossiz
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

My daughter has a 3.5 GPA at UCSD and is active on campus and working part time in a doctor’s office. She is a sophomer and will be taking the MCAT next year. What score will she need to get into a California medical school?

Yossi

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Yossi,
    Thanks for your inquiry. There’s no easy answer to your question. As you probably know, medical school admission in California is extremely competitive. Many very strong applicants have to apply to out of state schools in order to be competitive and get admitted. It’s very possible your daughter will have to apply to out of state schools as well. That said, she will be a stronger applicant if she can get her GPA up a bit more and also have a lot of patient related activities. She’ll likely need to get well into the 30’s–say 32-33 and up to be really competitive across the country. When she’s ready to begin the application process, we would be glad to help her.
    Best of luck with her applications!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Daniel MacDonald
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

I hope you can help me. I was doing well in medical school until some family issues came up. Is there any chance I’ll be able to finish? If so, will it mean I will have to start over from scratch? I’m willing to do that if that’s what it takes!

Thanks,

Daniel MacDonald

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Daniel,
    Thanks for your inquiry. Sorry to hear that you had to interrupt your medical education. But without knowing more about your situation, it’s really hard for me to say much. In general after someone leaves medical school, it usually isn’t easy to get back in. But it may not be impossible. I wish I could be more helpful.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Ahmad Malik
    Participant

I hope you can help me. I was doing well in medical school in Pakistan when I got a chance to come to the US. I want to finish now that I have a green card. Do I need to start from beginning or can I get credit for the coursework I have done. I feel I known material well.

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Ahmad,
    Thanks for your inquiry. There’s no easy answer to your question but I can point you in a general direction. You will need to show you have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree and completed the medical school prerequisites and taken and done well on the MCAT exam, at the very minimum. The fact that you have a green card helps. It may be that you will need to do some course work, like a post bac program, to show you are ready academically. You might want to do a search of the post bac programs that prepares students for medical school. So this could take some time and effort, but it’s possible. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Savannah Mortensen
    Participant

Hi Dr Shelton,

I am a junior and decided on pre med just last year. My GPA was 3.7 in economics but now it’s starting to drop as I adjust to the pre med course work. Can I get into allopathic schools if I get a good MCAT and keep my GPA above 3.5?

Thanks!

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Savannah,
    Good to hear from you and thanks for your question. It sounds like you are still in the beginning of your premed requirements. I would recommend that you not get too worried or discouraged by a few bumps in the road and just keep doing your best. But to answer your question, if you keep your GPA at the 3.5 level, with good MCAT’s and extracurriculars, yes it’s possible for you to be competitive at some U.S. MD programs. But again, I would advise you to not be looking too far ahead and focus on each day, and take it one day at a time. When you are further along and would like to talk over where are in more detail and depth as you move toward the application process, do contact us for a one hour consultation. I would be glad to help you.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everyone!

Just an FYI we’re raising our rates for the first time in several years on March 1. Please call us this month (February) to schedule a complimentary assessment and get a chance to lock in our current rates!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Nikko95
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

I applied to several top schools and haven’t yet been accepted anywhere. I will stay at my lab job and add in some lower tier schools this next go around. Can I use the same personal statement again? My GPA and MCAT are good and I believe the only reason I was rejected was because I didn’t include lower tier schools this last time.

Thanks!

Nikko

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Nikko,
    Good to hear from you. Sorry you haven’t received some good news yet, but there is still a chance you might. Always stay hopeful. If you do have to reapply, I strongly encourage you to not use the same personal statement as you did last year. It’s a new application cycle and a new presentation of yourself to show why you are an even better applicant. Including a broader range of schools is wise. I would also suggest you contact our office and sign up for a one hour consultation and let us go over your situation and get our professional advice on how to craft your personal statement and activities in the most positive light. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Ki
    Participant

Hello,

I am undergraduate and received a C- in a chemistry course. I was panning retaking in the summer.
    Will this have a negative impact on my science GPA? I heard makes your overall GPA lower

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Ki,
    Good to hear from you. It is my understanding that the first grade you receive in a course will remain, so retaking the course will not improve your GPA. Retaking it may be a good idea to help you learn the material better and it may show your determination. If your overall GPA is competitive and other factors are favorable, the one C- need not disqualify you from consideration. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 15 posts - 2,386 through 2,400 (of 2,418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares