Home Forums Medical School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 2,417 replies, has 939 voices, and was last updated by  wshelton 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,371 through 2,385 (of 2,418 total)
  • Author

Samu
    Participant

Dear Experts:

I am 23 with an overall UG GPA of 3.2 and a BCPM UG GPA of 3.0 from a UC. I took the mcat a month ago and received a 34. In addition, I just graduated from an MS program where we took classes with the MS1 students and I finished the program with a 3.76 Grad GPA. A little more about the program – it is a masters with emphasis on medical sciences and public health. I have been doing research since my first year in college (a total of 6 years now) and have been published in undergrad as well as graduate school. I have spent long periods of time in foreign countries in Asia providing medical relief to underserved populations, learning from top healthcare systems and doing research there. I have two years of clinical experience as a CCE as well. Throughout college and even until now, I had to work (part-time in college and now full-time) to pay for my tuition as well as help my parents with their business to help support my brother’s education and their own expenses (they are first generation immigrants w/o a formal education). I’ve continuously been involved in my church’s volunteering efforts to aid international underserved communities that are undergoing medical strife, political turmoil and social hardship as refugees since I was in middle school. In college, I was very involved in a diverse array of ECs. Also, I speak 3 languages fluently and 2 proficiently. I am a non-traditional underrepresented student from CA. What are my chances of getting into an allopathic US medical school? Do you have any recommendation as to how I may be able to increase my chances?

Thank you very much for your time. Have a great day.

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Samu,
    Thanks for your inquiry. Based on the information you presented, including that you have an M.S. in medical sciences (which includes taking classes with MS 1 students) with an 3.76 GPA and you have a 34 MCAT, plus additional experiences that are very interesting, my sense is that you would indeed be competitive for many U.S. MD programs. You will need a polished and compelling application that gives a full sense is why you are ready to begin medical school. My advice is to contact our office so we can review your situation and discuss how to plan for your application.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

sanantonioed
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton.

I’m nontraditional with a 3.2 in communications. After 5 years I went back and did my science classes with a 3.7. I am taking the MCAT in a month.

What MCAT score do I need? Does it make sense to apply this year or is it going to be too late?

Thanks!

Ed

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Ed,
    Thanks for your question. Sounds like you are making good progress in preparing for medical school application. The important thing about taking the MCAT this late is to make sure you are really ready and have given yourself enough time to prepare. Be sure you take a lot of practice exams and are scoring in the range you expect on the real exam. Assuming you meet that bar, then taking the MCAT this summer might be ok. But you would then have to start the application process and make sure you have a well polished and compelling application. It’s a lot to do this summer but it is possible. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Hello everybody!

Just a polite reminder about two recurring activities we have at AdmissionsConsultants at the beginning of each month.

1. Our next newsletter comes out on Monday, August 4. You can sign up for it by clicking here. It includes a discount code along with many helpful video and article tips.

2. Our next FREE medical school admission and MCAT webinar will be held on Tuesday, August 5 at 9 p.m. EST. You can sign up for it by clicking here.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

emotionalsinger
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

I have recently decided that my calling is medicine. I’m a rising senior with a history major at Carleton and a 3.7 GPA. There is no way I’m going to have the classes completed by this spring. Do you think I can be competitive by 2016 and should I consider a post baccalaureate?

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Emotioniainger,
    Thanks for your question. My sense would be to take an extra semester or two to complete your premed requirements. Also you will need to make sure you have adequate volunteer and work experiences in the clinical setting working with patients–this will give you a clear understanding of what is involved in caring for sick patients and the assurance that medicine is the right career for you. Finally you will need to take the MCAT exam and get a score at least in the low to mid 30’s. If you can do all that, it’s possible you could be ready by the 2016 cycle. But my advice is not to rush things. Make sure your fully ready to apply. If at any point you need more specific advice, consider signing up for a one hour consultation.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

johnnm0820
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

I am a college junior at a top 25 school with a 3.4 and a 32 MCAT. I don’t mean to sound excusatory, but I believe I was the victim of a bad pre med advisor. I took my premed classes as a freshman and didn’t do so well so I took higher level classes and was able to use those classes to pull up my GPA.

Should I apply this summer or will I need to enroll in a post back?

Thanks!

John

wshelton
    Participant

Dear John,
    Thanks for your inquiry. It sounds like you have been pulling up your GPA nicely–I would suggest you continue to do so as much as possible. It may be that you could be competitive at some medical schools with your credentials next summer. So I think you should be prepared to gear up to apply next summer and perhaps also apply to some post bac programs as a back up. After this semester, you will have more information on which to make more definite decisions.
    Also, I suggest you sign up for a one hour consultation so you can get a more thorough evaluation of your chances and then continue the conversation into the new year to reach a final decision about your strategy. We would be glad to work with you. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

MNicole
    Participant

Dr. Shelton,

I am an undergraduate student debating on whether or not to transfer schools before I complete my pre med requirements, since I know that choice of school plays a part in the admissions process. My university is primarily a nursing school so I though it would be a good fit for my career, but admission is not too selective and my GPA and test scores are above and beyond their requirements. I don’t want it to seem like I took the easy route. There is a great school nearby that requires higher test scores and GPA for admission so the curriculum will be a bit more challenging, but it is primarily an arts school. Which would look better on a medical school application, the medically oriented nursing school or the selective arts school?

Kind regards,
    Nicole

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for your question. It’s hard to give you a definitive answer, especially without knowing more specifics about the schools in question. You might find out the number of graduates from your current school who have gone on to medical school–if there are a good number, that’s a good sign; if there are none, then maybe that’s a reason to consider transferring. In general, my advice to applicants is to try to attend the school of the highest academic quality possible and not be afraid of challenges. Think more about how you can best prepare yourself for medical school and where you will be able to flourish. Wherever you go, make sure there is a solid premed track where successful graduates commonly go on to medical school. That way you will know that if you work hard and are successful you will have a competitive chance to attend medical school. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Sam7000
    Participant

Dear all Admission Consultants staff :

I’m a doctor with Libyan nationality, I have MBChB degree from Benghazi medical collage,( I understand this degree is equal to MD in the United State ).
    I worked as SHO in a surgical department for two years.
    Now I received a master scholarship from the Libyan Higher Education Ministry.
    I wish to know some general information about the master programs available in the American medical schools.
    Do all graduate programs offer basic medical sciences only ?
    And regarding the admission requirements, do all universities require GRE and TOEFL ?
    Since these tests are not available right now in my country, is it possible to postpone them till come to the states ?
    Any piece of information will be valuable for me and I would be so grateful for it.

Thanks

wshelton
    Participant

Dear Sam7000,
    Thanks for your inquiry. By graduate programs, I assume you are speaking about the master’s degrees in medical science. These programs are for people who have already completed their undergraduate medical requirements and are trying to enhance their academic performance, i.e. grades, in order to make themselves more competitive for medical school admission. This might be a type of program for you (do a Google search for “post bac master’s in medical science programs”) if you prior work counts as meeting your medical prerequisites. You will need to contact a few U.S. medical schools and inquire about that to be sure. The only entrance exam to my knowledge required for these programs is the MCAT exam.

On the other hand, if in fact your prior work is equivalent to a U.S. M.D. degree, then applying to residency training programs would be the next step.

In summary, I am not familiar enough with your degrees and training so far to give you a precise answer. Again, I suggest you contact a few medicals schools and inquire how they would view your credentials. That should give you a clearer direction.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Amy Keeton
    Participant

Hi Dr. Shelton,

Our daughter is getting ready to graduate from high school. We are looking at starting at a junior college and then transferring to a four year. Will this impact her chances of going to medical school in any way?

Thanks

Amy Keeton

wshelton
    Participant

Hi Amy,
    Thanks for your inquiry. There are many ways for a medical school applicant to be successful. I have seen successful applicants start in a Junior college. Having said that, I would suggest that anyone going to medical school choose the best quality academic institution possible for their undergraduate premedical education. So if the Junior college is of superior academic quality, your daughter should be fine. Keep in mind that all A’s from a typical community college might not carry the same weight as A’s and B’s from a top school. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wayne Shelton
    Senior Consultant

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Viewing 15 posts - 2,371 through 2,385 (of 2,418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares