Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 2,987 replies, has 1,137 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,988 total)
  • Author

MBASB
    Participant

Hi,

I am a re-applicant from last year, and I was on the waitlist at HBS until the final days. I am in the first round but have not gotten an interview yet.

I am wondering whether HBS will re-interview me or just use the interview from last year? Does anyone know what HBS does in terms of re-interviewing people who were on the waitlist from the previous year?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Hi,

I am a re-applicant from last year, and I was on the waitlist at HBS until the final days. I am in the first round but have not gotten an interview yet.

First of all, I hope you took an informed and objective look at your previous application and determined how your story could be tightened, weaknesses mitigated, and strengths highlighted before reapplying.

I am wondering whether HBS will re-interview me or just use the interview from last year? Does anyone know what HBS does in terms of re-interviewing people who were on the waitlist from the previous year?

Good question. About 99% of the time HBS will re-interview re-applicants. This year, HBS is not reviewing previous applications, so I hope you highlighted that you are a re-applicant who was interviewed and waitlisted the previous year. Interview invites go out on a continual basis with HBS so I wouldn’t necessarily be worried if you have not yet received an invite.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

Admissions committee experience from the top b-schools

AdmissionsConsultants

abhart
    Participant

I recently completed my interview at HBS. It went well! Not that many questions from the admissions person. Given your experience, what are my chances of being accepted?

I recently completed my interview at HBS. It went well! Not that many questions from the admissions person. Given your experience, what are my chances of being accepted?

That’s a rather difficult question to answer and without having reviewed your application or being a ‘fly on the wall’ during your interview, it’s admittedly difficult to judge.

This said, if you received an invite and if the interview did indeed go well, your chances should be pretty good right now.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

mmattie2
    Participant

Hello,

Not sure if I am on the right board but I am trying to find out the best part-time MBA program in and around the Philadelphia area. I currently work at a major pharmaceutical company and plan to stay in the industry after I complete a part-time MBA program.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Melanie Mattie

Hi Melanie and thanks for your inquiry.

Hello,

Not sure if I am on the right board but I am trying to find out the best part-time MBA program in and around the Philadelphia area. I currently work at a major pharmaceutical company and plan to stay in the industry after I complete a part-time MBA program.

I believe you’ve come to the right place. We do work with part-time MBA applicants and we can certainly assist you. I’m hesitant to use the word “best” in a general manner since the best program for one applicant may not be ideal for someone else.

I think it’s safe to say that Wharton is widely considered the best MBA program in the Philadelphia area and, depending on your career progression, you just might qualify for their EMBA program. In terms of pure part-time programs, you have some local schools and the Langone program at NYU Stern may be a tolerable commute for you.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with the school selection and application completion process.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Melanie Mattie

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Xistentialmba
    Participant

I recently visited Harvard (HBS) and was actually very very impressed by the school (I am usually not a very enthusiastic Harvard supporter). It was extremely different from all the other top 10 schools I visited. For instance, instead of just one building, the HBS is an entire campus. They have the most beautiful dining rooms and lounges with first class food and service. And yes, I do find these important – for instance, this is in clear contrast to Northwestern’s ‘run-down’ cafeteria style food area. Fuqua seems to have picked up on this a bit and recently built their new Fox center which now does have a much nicer dining room and lounge area. The HBS IT department is the best I have ever seen and everything is online and accessible via wireless connection anywhere on campus…from class assignments to the entire (and very large and impressive) alumni network and contact info. The professors had great personalities and the students were extremely friendly. Their facilities are top-notch and their gym, which is MBA-students and professors only, is amazing (although Wharton’s gym which is actually a U-Penn gym is very nice as well). They also just built brand new housing for their MBA students and have a wide range of housing options available on-campus.

I had been told by students at other schools that HBS was known as a very ‘competitive’ school but I didn’t pick that up at all. Other then that, I can’t think of any other negatives, except for maybe their very large class size (900), but this could be a positive since it does mean their alumni network is also the largest out there and you’ll be able to find a HBS alum in any sector or field you are interested in.

I was just wondering if there are any negatives to HBS I am missing. I mean the school just has so much money and is such a well-oiled machine that it would be a very tough decision to turn down an acceptance from them even to go to another top 5 school.

Thank you for your perspectives!

-Beth [:p]

Just as an FYI, it appears Cornell acceptance calls will be made throughout this weekend.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Hi Beth and thanks for your inquiry.

I recently visited Harvard (HBS) and was actually very very impressed by the school (I am usually not a very enthusiastic Harvard supporter). It was extremely different from all the other top 10 schools I visited. For instance, instead of just one building, the HBS is an entire campus. They have the most beautiful dining rooms and lounges with first class food and service. And yes, I do find these important – for instance, this is in clear contrast to Northwestern’s ‘run-down’ cafeteria style food area. Fuqua seems to have picked up on this a bit and recently built their new Fox center which now does have a much nicer dining room and lounge area. The HBS IT department is the best I have ever seen and everything is online and accessible via wireless connection anywhere on campus…from class assignments to the entire (and very large and impressive) alumni network and contact info. The professors had great personalities and the students were extremely friendly. Their facilities are top-notch and their gym, which is MBA-students and professors only, is amazing (although Wharton’s gym which is actually a U-Penn gym is very nice as well). They also just built brand new housing for their MBA students and have a wide range of housing options available on-campus.

I had been told by students at other schools that HBS was known as a very ‘competitive’ school but I didn’t pick that up at all. Other then that, I can’t think of any other negatives, except for maybe their very large class size (900), but this could be a positive since it does mean their alumni network is also the largest out there and you’ll be able to find a HBS alum in any sector or field you are interested in.

I was just wondering if there are any negatives to HBS I am missing. I mean the school just has so much money and is such a well-oiled machine that it would be a very tough decision to turn down an acceptance from them even to go to another top 5 school.

Thank you for your perspectives!

-Beth [:p]

First of all, thanks for sharing your experience and insight with us.

Like a lot of other things in life, rating business schools is extremely subjective no matter how quantitative the process may appear. It looks like you have done some good research and, most importantly, visited the campus. You are correct that some applicants find HBS too competitive. Clearly this wasn’t your impression and it doesn’t bother you. Assuming you have good reasons for wanting an MBA and you can tie an education at HBS into your future career goals, I think you would likely be very happy there based on what you stated above.

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with any aspect of your HBS application.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Tylerirish
    Participant

In May 2002, I graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a 3.03 in Government and International Relations. I was a finance major for a year or so and do have significant amount of hours in business classes (about 30). My GPA in the business classes was a shade over a 3.0. My last two semesters at ND had a GPA of 3.4 and 3.5. Also I was very involved with Student Government. After graduation, I worked in sales for a small manufacturing company for 9 months. I am currently finishing up my first semster in the Master of Accounting program at Florida Atlantic University. I just received a 3.6 for this semester, with two semesters to go. Currently, I work as a graduate assistant in the executive accounting programs here at Florida Atlantic University. I have been offered a position as an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers for next fall. Also, immediately after graduation from Notre Dame, I scored a 710 on the GMAT. I am at a crossroads of whether to pursue an MBA next year or work for PriceWaterhouseCoopers for a couple of years and then apply to Top 10 mba schools before my GMAT score expires. How would Top 10 schools judge my Master in Accounting and increasing GPA? Also, would these MBA schools look favorably upon work experience as an auditor? What tier of schools do you think I would qualify for? I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

In May 2002, I graduated from the University of Notre Dame with a 3.03 in Government and International Relations. I was a finance major for a year or so and do have significant amount of hours in business classes (about 30). My GPA in the business classes was a shade over a 3.0. My last two semesters at ND had a GPA of 3.4 and 3.5. Also I was very involved with Student Government. After graduation, I worked in sales for a small manufacturing company for 9 months. I am currently finishing up my first semster in the Master of Accounting program at Florida Atlantic University. I just received a 3.6 for this semester, with two semesters to go. Currently, I work as a graduate assistant in the executive accounting programs here at Florida Atlantic University. I have been offered a position as an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers for next fall. Also, immediately after graduation from Notre Dame, I scored a 710 on the GMAT. I am at a crossroads of whether to pursue an MBA next year or work for PriceWaterhouseCoopers for a couple of years and then apply to Top 10 mba schools before my GMAT score expires. How would Top 10 schools judge my Master in Accounting and increasing GPA? Also, would these MBA schools look favorably upon work experience as an auditor? What tier of schools do you think I would qualify for? I really appreciate any advice you can give me!

I like the trend with your GPA and I don’t think it is going to be too terribly difficult to mitigate given: (1) the increasing trend and (2) the GMAT score.

I am concerned, and please don’t take this the wrong way, that the admissions committees might have fears you are a professional student or degree collector if you applied for an MBA immediately upon completion of your current accounting program. If they suspect you don’t have solid reasons for wanting an MBA and that you are very serious about the degree, then you are an easy ding for them. (Remember: they get far more qualified applicants than they can accept and they actively look for reasons to ding applications.)

You will find a lot of CPA/financial auditors in business school. Such work experience is successfully spun hundreds of times each year at the top schools.

Best of luck with your future applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

antiphon
    Participant

Hi, graduated from The University of Chicago with a 2.8 GPA. For the past 4 years I have been working for Ernst & Young as a technology consultant. My GMAT score is 680. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a top 20 business school program considering I have a low GPA and relatively low GMAT score.

Hi, graduated from The University of Chicago with a 2.8 GPA. For the past 4 years I have been working for Ernst & Young as a technology consultant. My GMAT score is 680. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into a top 20 business school program considering I have a low GPA and relatively low GMAT score.

Honestly, I’m most worried about your work experience. If you are an IT consultant, your biggest hurdle will likely be differentiating yourself from the many other IT applicants.

Given this applicant weakness right out of the box, it probably makes sense for you to build an alternate transcript to allay concerns about academic qualifications.

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like professional assistance with your situation. We offer a one-hour pre admissions consultation and a highly-qualified consultant (i.e. one who has made accept/reject/waitlist decisions on an admissions committee at a top b-school) can help you draw up a detailed action plan to ensure you are optimally positioned for your future applications.

Best of luck with your future applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

ck
    Participant

I was wondering how the engineering internship experiences I’ve had with some well known companies in the industry would help my chances in the MBA admission process if at all, given that they’re not post-graduate work experiences.

What kind of things would differentiate an IT/engineering applicant from other applicants in the same field. (I’m not seeing too many opportunities to demonstate the usual desired skills in business, such as leadership, or outstanding “business-related” accomplishments holding an entry-level engineer or technician position.)

I was wondering how the engineering internship experiences I’ve had with some well known companies in the industry would help my chances in the MBA admission process if at all, given that they’re not post-graduate work experiences.

What kind of things would differentiate an IT/engineering applicant from other applicants in the same field. (I’m not seeing too many opportunities to demonstate the usual desired skills in business, such as leadership, or outstanding “business-related” accomplishments holding an entry-level engineer or technician position.)

If you are applying to the selective b-schools, you will need to show that somehow you have already reached the same level of maturity and career progression (teamwork, leadership, etc.) as the older applicants against whom you are competing. It may well be that the best you will be able to achieve is ‘rejection with encouragement’, i.e. a ding that encourages you to reapply in x years. It is very rare for such an individual to be rejected as a re-applicant.

The usual desired skills are a huge advantage if you can find a way to spin them into your story. Lacking those, you will have to use extracurricular activities and good introspection to differentiate your candidacy.

Finally, big-name employer experience is not a necessity. While it may help state that someone deems you to be at the top of your class, it is the ‘quality’ of the work experience itself (level of responsibility, opportunities to develop leadership and teamwork skills) and not the perceived prestige that the admissions committees really care about.

Sincerely,

David Petersam

AdmissionsConsultants

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,988 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares