Home Forums MBA Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 2,987 replies, has 1,137 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,941 through 2,955 (of 2,988 total)
  • Author

sanket
    Participant

Why should I wait to get an MBA from a top school instead of getting one now from a less expensive school and getting more years of post MBA salary?

Why should I wait to get an MBA from a top school instead of getting one now from a less expensive school and getting more years of post MBA salary?

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Good question. You have the freedom to do what you would like. Depending on your career goal, an MBA from a lower-tier school may be just as helpful as one from a top-tier school. But to attempt to answer your question as I understand it, many applicants will aim for a top school to improve their career prospects in competitive fields like investment banking and consulting. Additionally, an MBA is a one-time shot. If your career later takes off, you won’t be able to come back and earn another MBA from a higher ranked school.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

LIMITED TIME SPECIAL! Order our new business school guide from Amazon.com and deduct $25 from any of our services!

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com newsletter

pauliex
    Participant

Hi David,

I have been very profoundly impacted by the Paris attacks and I am thinking about writing about that for my Harvard and Stanford applications. Good idea or bad idea?

Hi David,

I have been very profoundly impacted by the Paris attacks and I am thinking about writing about that for my Harvard and Stanford applications. Good idea or bad idea?

First of all, we do offer complimentary assessments as well as access to our proprietary school selection model, so please don’t hesitate to email or call us to discuss your candidacy in more detail.

That said … in a nutshell, no. I would not recommend incorporating the Paris attacks into your MBA essays. It could look desperate (particularly if you are applying to a number of schools but only using it for Harvard and Stanford) and it may make your decision to pursue an MBA appear spontaneous since this event just occurred.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

LIMITED TIME SPECIAL! Order our new business school guide from Amazon.com and deduct $25 from any of our services!

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Stephen Rozol
    Participant

Hi David,

3.7 from a top liberal arts school, 2 years in IB and I’ll have 2 years in PE. I’m confident I’ll score in the mid 700s but I’m worried about my lack of ECs and leadership. What can I do to get into HBS and Stganford?

Hi David,

3.7 from a top liberal arts school, 2 years in IB and I’ll have 2 years in PE. I’m confident I’ll score in the mid 700s but I’m worried about my lack of ECs and leadership. What can I do to get into HBS and Stganford?

Depending on your work experience, story themes and college extracurriculars, you could be competitive at HBS and Stanford. It’s fairly common for applicants with your background to lack the traditional “leadership” and have lower extracurricular involvements.

Please don’t hesitate to call our office to arrange to discuss your candidacy in greater detail.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Mike Mustang
    Participant

I have come to the realization that engineering isn’t for me. I earned my masters in electrical engineering in 2011. Should I get a LOR from a professor in that program? Can I list personal reasons like close to my home so I don’t have to relocate as reasons for why I am applying?

I have come to the realization that engineering isn’t for me. I earned my masters in electrical engineering in 2011. Should I get a LOR from a professor in that program? Can I list personal reasons like close to my home so I don’t have to relocate as reasons for why I am applying?

Hi Mike and thanks for your inquiry.

You could get a letter of reference from the professor, but there are likely going to be more preferable options among those who can speak for your professional skills and development. Personal reasons such as geography are perfectly acceptable when answering the “Why [name of MBA program]?” questions.

Please don’t hesitate to call us if you want to discuss your candidacy in more detail. Our office is open all day today and we also keep evening and weekend hours by appointment.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Julie Hindermaker
    Participant

Hi David,

any good guidelines on whether an applicant like myself should apply this year versus waiting until next year?

Thanks!

Julie

Hi David,

any good guidelines on whether an applicant like myself should apply this year versus waiting until next year?

Thanks!

Julie

Hi Julie and thanks for your inquiry.

The best guideline is when you’re ready. If you are happy with your GMAT/GRE score and otherwise ready to start in Fall 2016, it’s still not too late to start your applications. Don’t hesitate to call us to schedule an in-depth complimentary assessment so we can properly gauge your best timing.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Christian Emde
    Participant

I joined a startup and the company is doing well. It has funding and is experiencing quick growth. Is it going to look bad that I want to leave for business school?

I joined a startup and the company is doing well. It has funding and is experiencing quick growth. Is it going to look bad that I want to leave for business school?

Hi Christian and thanks for your inquiry.

This is probably a “good” problem to have in the sense that it can potentially raise your opportunity costs depending on how happy you are at your job and how much you feel you may reap from an eventual sale of IPO of the company.

But, other than that, it’s certainly not a deal breaker and we’ve worked with others in similar situations who had concerns that they might appear to be on the verge of getting fired and that was the real reason they were looking for an MBA. Essentially, with well-prepared applications to accompany competitive grades, test scores, etc, you can be as competitive as anyone else at the top schools.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

antilaw
    Participant

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and sent a thank you letter. I got a response that thanked me and contained phrases like we look forward to seeingyou in the fall with smiley faces. Should I contact the school since I haven’t received a former acceptance? Does this mean I will definitely be accepted?

I interviewed 2 weeks ago and sent a thank you letter. I got a response that thanked me and contained phrases like we look forward to seeing you in the fall with smiley faces. Should I contact the school since I haven’t received a former acceptance? Does this mean I will definitely be accepted?

First of all, congratulations. Most likely, you are going to be formally accepted within the next several weeks. I wouldn’t contact the school until at least 1.5 weeks after the published deadline for notification. I would also encourage you to continue with your other applications and/or interviews to ensure you have the most available options for this fall. Even if this is your top school, another offer with a financial aid offer might be useful as leverage.

Sincerely,

David Petersam
    President

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

Rogelio Zaeta
    Participant

I have a 3.8, a 730 and a good job at a F500. How much work experience will I need to be competitive at Harvard or Stanford?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,941 through 2,955 (of 2,988 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares