Home Forums Law School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 595 replies, has 265 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 596 total)
  • Author

rpost
    Participant

Dear Will,

Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct when you state you do not want to appear misleading. You should indicate your major under the Computer Science category. Remember, there is not a prerequisite major for law school. Admissions committees are most concerned with the coursework completed and how well you performed.

Most applications allow applicants space to include both their current and permanent address. You should include both addresses on the application form.

If you have further questions or would like your application reviewed please feel free to email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com.

Good luck,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

jakov
    Participant

hi renee,

i am applying to top 14 schools and thought you might be able to provide some insight on my application.

my first question involves the lsat. i took the lsat at the end of my senior year of college. i wasn’t sure i wanted to go to law school before taking the test. i studied a week or two for the exam and did horrible – 142 i think it was. four years have passed and i have four years of work experience as a paralegal, and know for sure now that i want to go to law school. i also just got my score for the dec lsat and received a 172 (i studied on and off for about six months). my question is this – do i need to explain in an addendum why the first score shouldn’t be given much consideration or is it safe to assume that because of the large disparity, many adcoms will automatically give more weight to the second score – in other words should i even address the two lsat scores? i’ve been warned that writing unnecessary addendums can really turn off adcoms. also, a few of the schools, i noticed, accepted only lsats taken within the last three years – i think upenn was one of them. could you also address what i should do in this case and if these schools will even consider the first score since four years have passed?

my second question is this – i have an undergrad degree in chemical engineering. i wrote my personal statement already, without addressing my academic background or the fact that i’ve been out of school for the past four years. i think it is a really strong essay though which addresses prejudice i’ve experienced earlier in my life. plus, i really could not think of an interesting way to write a personal statement about my particular work experience and academic background. will adcoms look unfavorably on my application if i do not address my work experience or why i have an engineering degree and now want to go to law school? if so, should i address these issues in an addendum? i was planning to send each school a resume.

if you could provide insight from your point of view (as someone who has worked on an adcom) on these issues i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

– jack

mdfed
    Participant

Dear Renee,

I have some major decisions to make in the next couple of months that I feel could help or hinder my chances of getting into many of my law school choices in NY NJ and PA in 2005. This is my current situation. I graduated with a 2.58 from UMass, Amherst in 2001. I will be taking the Feb LSATs and I am hoping for a score of 146-150. To date, I have worked for 2 separate federal law enforcement agencies. I also have over 2 years of volunteer experience in EMS. I have 2 questions. Based on the information I’ve provided, do I have any chance of getting into any NY, NJ, or PA schools? I am also considering leaving the federal government early to reestablish residency in NJ. Will my chances of acceptance be hurt if I choose to leave the Federal job before the law schools reach their decisions.

I’d greatly appreciate your insight so that I may somewhat set my mind at ease.

-Jon

rpost
    Participant

Hi Nonna and thanks for your inquiry.

I’ve been very busy with my clients and helping them finish their applications, so I haven’t had much time to answer questions posted here. This said, your inquiry is quite long and detailed and, while we can cover much, much more ground in a 1 hour phone consultation, I don’t have the time to fully address your many points in written format.

Based on what you stated above, it appears your academic qualifications are top notch and no one will question your ability to handle the rigorous law school curriculum if you do well on the LSAT.

The schools care about a lot more than just grades and LSAT scores though and you will want to ensure you present a well-rounded candidacy and have an airtight story for why you want to go to law school, why XYZ law school, etc.

We do help applicants gain admission to Harvard Law School, as well as many other top law schools each year. We even have a consultant who was an admissions officer at HLS before joining our company. If you would like additional information about our services, you can visit our website or call us at the number below.

Best regards,

Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Hi Jack and thanks for your inquiry.

As I explained in my earlier post to Nonna, I only have so much time to address questions on this forum. Here are some of my quick thoughts on your situation.

While your first LSAT is four years old, it will be reported on your LSDAS report. That said, I encourage you to contact the schools you plan to apply to and inquire how they will consider the disparate scores. If the two scores will be averaged then I strongly encourage you to explain why the second score is more indicative of your abilities in your addendum.

Without reading the personal statement you have written and reviewing your resume, it is impossible for me gauge whether or not you should send an additional essay discussing your professional experiences and the reasons for your wanting the JD.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly at lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com or 703.242.5885 if you would like further assistance with your application.

Best regards,

Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Hi Jon and thanks for your inquiry.

Based on what you shared above, you should be in the ballpark for a few schools in those states. If your job switch moves you closer to your future (post law school) career goals, then leaving your current employer will only help your chances.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly at lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com or 703.242.5885 if you would like further assistance with your positioning strategy.

Best regards,

Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

Monkey555
    Participant

I was talking with some friends about top 14 Schools and heard that it is easier to be admitted into a Part Time Program than a Full Time one at the same school. Is this true?

Which Top 14 Schools have Part Timers? How come everyone does not just apply to the part time to boost their chances and then transfer? NYU, for example, supposedly allows for easy transfer into their full time. I feel like I am missing the drawback.

Also, if I were looking to start working with you for applications to be submitted in September or October, when would be the best time to start contacting Admissions Consultants?

Thank you.

Since my background is in MBA admissions and I do not have law school admissions committee experience, I won’t pretend to be a law school admission expert and and I won’t attempt to answer the first part of your question. I can answer the second part on behalf of Renee though.

We are already working with many applicants for next year. We offer a 1 hour “pre admissions” consultation to ensure that next fall’s applicants are optimally positioned for their applications, i.e. school selection, in-depth and brutally-honest candidacy assessment, alternative transcripts (if necessary), extracurriculars, application story and theme formulation, etc. Basically, there are many things we can do for applicants now that we will not be able to do in the fall given the compressed timeframe we will then be facing.

Currently, we are allowing those individuals who sign up for a pre admissions session to deduct the cost of that one hour consultation from the price of a multiple application package for this fall. In other words, applicants can try us for just one hour, and if they are happy with us and desire to retain us on a fixed-fee basis for a multiple application package, they can purchase that package today with the bonus pre admissions consultation for the same price the package would cost them in the fall.

Best regards,

David Petersam
    DPetersam@admissionsconsultants.com

AdmissionsConsultants

rpost
    Participant

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

It is very difficult to answer your question about part time programs as each law school is different. If you would like to discuss specific part time programs please contact Admissions Consultants at the number below or email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com to schedule a conference.

Best regards,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

SecondCareer
    Participant

Hello Renee,

I have resolved to make a last-minute application to law school, for the Fall 04 class, and am scrambling to put on my best effort.

I received my undergrad degree (history) in ’95. I worked two jobs while commuting an hour each way to school. My GPA (2.4) reflects these distractions. Feeling that I didn’t possess the academic or personal durability needed to continue on to law school at that point, I did not pursue further schooling, despite a life-long fascination with law.

I enjoyed success in various areas of IT, (systems analyst, project manager) bringing myself up by my bootstraps until the IT bubble popped. I have matured since college, having served in charitable and civic organizations regularly, ever since (vol. fire dept for 5 yrs, church youth mentor, etc).

I am also now completing an ABA accredited paralegal studies certificate program, in which I am excelling. I don’t have an LSAT score yet, but will in time for a March application deadline.

My concern is, how important are these later contributions and successes to law schools in NJ (specifically Rutgers), and how important is my GPA, at this point? Will a strong LSAT make a big difference?

Thank you,

Gerald

Idreamofjeany
    Participant

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew of any data on the representation of various undergraduate universities at the top law schools. Are the Harvard/Yale/Princeton undergrads overwhelmingly admitted to Harvard/Yale/Stanford Law?

I go to UCLA and wonder how many public school kids will get into these top law schools. (3.84 LSDAS GPA and 174 LSAT).

Thanks in advance if anyone knows of any data/websites!

Jean

rpost
    Participant

Hi Jean and thanks for your inquiry.

I encourage you to visit individual school websites as this information is readily available. Most law schools provide a list of institutions represented in the student body. Remember, in addition to academic history (which includes undergraduate institution), admissions committees are looking at the entire application- letters of recommendation, personal statement, leadership experiences and community involvement.

Best of luck with your applications.

Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

techdiver
    Participant

I would be interested in some feedback on my current situation

I am 31 years old and performed poorly in my early undergraduate career (2.0 Kent State University). I never graduated. I soon held two management positions over a few years. In 1994 I established a very successful landscape development firm, established annual sales in excess of $1 million and supervised 30 employees. Lack of fulfillment caused me to return to Cleveland State University in 2003 while still operating the business. I have maintained a 3.48GPA since my return (total 84 credit hours). I have many community/volunteer activites in my resume, etc. Everything looks good but my cum GPA is only about 3.0 and a 150 lsat. I have provided excellent statements, recommendations and explanations.

Is this substantial “wow” factor? I have applied to all the D.C. schools, Northwestern and a couple safety schools.

Also, if I have to go to a safety school, based on your understanding, is it reasonable to expect to get into a top 20 school as a transfer with a superior first year under my belt?

Thanks

rpost
    Participant

Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

Committees will look at your entire application. When assessing your current situation, much depends on how you describe your reasons for leaving school and factors which led to your return. Many applicants have professional experiences prior to going to law school so that fact in itself is not enough. Again, much depends on how you describe your professional experiences and more specifically, how you assert what sets you apart from other applicants with similar experiences.

In terms of your second question, I encourage you to research the transfer policies of the schools that interest you. You are correct when you state that a “superior first year” is necessary if you would like to transfer.

If you have further questions or would like your application reviewed, please email lawschool@admissionsconsultants.com.

Good luck,
    Renee

AdmissionsConsultants

pworth
    Participant

Hi Ms. Post,

Could you elaborate on the lsat spread that I see on my official lsdas report. For example, I scored a 145 but it “spreads” my score on a plus minus three range meaning my score could be interpreted between a 143 and 148. Will law schools simply interpret the average or will they lean to the higher side of the spectrum? Also I’ve applied to mostly the bottom 3rd tier schools because of my score and my 2.55 g.p.a although it did come from UNC-Chapel Hill which is a top 25 college in the U.S. Do the law school give more credence to the overall prestige of the university, or do they simply glance at gpa scores? Finally, I have applied to a few of my schools early (mid november) yet I haven’t heard anything yet. I thought the admissions decision usually makes a decision within 3 to 6 weeks. Is it because they were waiting for me to have a completed official transcript (I graduated in December of ’03)? Or were they waiting for me to complete the FAFSA application? Or are they simply waiting for more applications to come in so they can choose from the most qualified pool? The final hypothesis seems a little unfair to me considering its already been 2 months later and still nothing. Thanks, Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 596 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares