Home Forums Graduate School Admission Ask AdmissionsConsultants

This topic contains 1,141 replies, has 489 voices, and was last updated by  AdmissionsConsultants 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,142 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi Heather,

I graduated two years ago from Bates College with a degree in sociology and a 3.7 GPA. After two years in real estate sales, I want to get a Ph.D. in sociology. Can I make a strong case for this education considering I walked away from sociology for two years and what GRE should I aim for if I want to get into a top program?

Thanks!

Danni

hmacneill
    Participant

Hi Danni. Thanks for your post. You can certainly make an argument for returning for a PhD. You will need to focus on the reasons you are applying to graduate school. The admissions committee will want to hear about the experiences that you have had that have helped shape your goals for a PhD and pursuing graduate school. While the GRE alone will not sway a committee – you should probably aim for a score in the 90th percentile. I would also suggest spending some time looking for opportunities to do research or work with academics – to help refine and shape your research interests.
    Good luck with your search.
    Heather

quote:

Originally posted by dannidang

Hi Heather,

I graduated two years ago from Bates College with a degree in sociology and a 3.7 GPA. After two years in real estate sales, I want to get a Ph.D. in sociology. Can I make a strong case for this education considering I walked away from sociology for two years and what GRE should I aim for if I want to get into a top program?

Thanks!

Danni

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

facebook_badge.gif

twitter.jpg

youtube.png

pinterest-Abds5.png

google-logo-abds.png

newsletter_button.jpg

soyberry
    Participant

Hi!

I have a 3.5 from UT Dallas but a 3.9 in my last 2 years. Assuming I get GRE scores in the 160s, do I have a chance at a PhD in psych or do I need to start with a masters?

Thanks in advance!

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. Gaining admission to a competitive PhD program goes well beyond grades and GRE. Although, a Masters is not necessarily required either. In most cases – applying to a Psych PhD requires good grades and test scores but also strong letters of recommendation, good clinical/research experience and an essay that details your goals (clinical and research) and outlines why you are a good fit to the program to which you are applying. In some cases, getting a Masters allows one to raise grades (that does not seem relevant in your case) or allows the applicant to get more clinical/research experience. Keep all of these variables in mind when completing your applications.
    Good luck.
    Heather

quote:

Originally posted by soyberry

Hi!

I have a 3.5 from UT Dallas but a 3.9 in my last 2 years. Assuming I get GRE scores in the 160s, do I have a chance at a PhD in psych or do I need to start with a masters?

Thanks in advance!

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

facebook_badge.gif

twitter.jpg

youtube.png

pinterest-Abds5.png

google-logo-abds.png

newsletter_button.jpg

bawg
    Participant

I am thinking about transferring colleges. If I’m accepted to a college and decline, will that come back to haunt me if I later want to apply to grad school there? Also, would it increase my chances if I transferred to the school to finish my undergrad?

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. Are you thinking about transferring undergraduate institutions? Typically, the admissions processes are quite different between transfer and graduate – so it is unlikely to “hurt” you if go return to apply to graduate school. Being an undergraduate at the school to which you hope to apply to graduate school can be helpful – but should not be your only motivation for transferring. Good preparation and experience are important in the graduate school application process – so don’t give those up.

Best of luck with your applications!

Sincerely,

Heather MacNeill
    Senior Consultant
    AdmissionsConsultants, Inc.

AdmissionsConsultants

Keep up with us on:

admissionsconsultants.com facebook page

admissionsconsultants.com twitter page

admissionsconsultants.com youtube channel

admissionsconsultants.com pinterest

admissionsconsultants.com google +

admissionsconsultants.com ne
</a></p>

</div><!-- .bbp-reply-content -->

</div><!-- .reply -->

<div id=

4×4
    Participant

Hi Heather,

I don’t see the exact degree I want but I see some programs with faculty who research in that area. Should I target those schools? Should I approach any faculty directly before I apply?

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. Refining your graduate school search based on faculty research is a great way to proceed. I assume you are applying to PhD programs? Reaching out to faculty to inquire about their research and your fit to the program is a good idea. Do, however, make sure that the program is offering the degree that you ultimately want to receive – before applying.
    Regards,
    Heather

jumkey
    Participant

Hi Heather,

I’m a few years from applying for a PA program but should I pursue a major with easier grading since it seems no specific major is required as long as I have the necessary science classes?

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. Yes, completing the prerequisites is important for the admissions process – but don’t underestimate the importance of the school and degree. These both play a part in the evaluation process for a graduate program. I would suggest going with a degree that you find interesting and challenging – show the admissions committee your motivation and enthusiasm for the subject and career path. Good luck with your studies.
    Heather

zeitz
    Participant

I’m finishing up a double major in biology and physics and have a 3.8 at Northwestern. I’ve recently concluded that I really want to pursue a Ph.D. in chemistry. How much is my relative lack of chemistry courses going to impact me and should I complete the double major this year or focus instead on taking more chemistry classes at the undergraduate level?

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. I do think more Chemistry courses will help your application. For PhD programs, it is more about research and your fit with potential faculty and their research work. Your time should also focus on building your research experience and goals – find schools that are a good match with your interests. This combined with more chemistry curriculum will help you become more competitive. Good luck with your studies.
    Heather

oneworld
    Participant

I have a 3.8 in electrical engineering and want to pursue a masters in it. My quant GRE is 168 and my verbal is 157. I know I can get at least a 163 verbal if I retake it. Should I or will they not care since I’m looking at engineering?

hmacneill
    Participant

Thanks for your post. It’s never bad idea to try and better your application through the GRE if you feel you can improve and have the time and resources to dedicate to improving. That said, if you don’t retake the test – I think your GPA reflects that you are likely a good student and your Quant score is quite good. Combine those with strong letters of recommendation and an essay that outlines how your experiences and strengths motivated you towards this degree/field – I think you can be competitive as well.
    Good luck with your studies.
    Heather

Harai Goshi
    Participant

Dear Heather,

A few years ago, I enrolled in a MA/PhD program for sociology but stopped after completing the MA. I have gotten some relevant experience in environmental policy and now wish to pursue a PhD in that field. Will my previous failure to complete a PhD derail me now?

Thank you so much for your time!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,142 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

shares